Plans to take CISSP Exam in January 2019

arunm17arunm17 Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I am starting to study for the CISSP exam, i have about 20 years IT Work experience across the board. Security has always been a thing of intrigue. The fundamentals are absolutely important and i hope i am in the right path. Please give me your opinion on this?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The books i am using to study is:

1. CISSP Study Guide 3rd Edition (Eric Conrad)
2. Eleventh Hour 3rd Edition (Eric Conrad)
3. CISSP Study Guide 7th Edition (Sybex)
4. Sunflower v2.0
5. Shon Harris All in One guide 7th Edition (Use it sparingly for reference)

Videos:
1. Cybrary - Kelly Handerhan

Exam Questions:
1. Exam Cram Practice Guide 3rd Edition
2. Shon Harris Exam Practice 3rd Edition
3. Wiley CISSP Practice Guide - S. Rao Vallabheni

Weekday - Daily 2 hours (10 weekly)
Weekend - 5 hours (10 hours weekend)

***I am writing my own notes from the questions i get wrong, notes from the book i study that i feel is important & this will incorporate Mind-Maps..etc.

Exam Date: January 31st 2019
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: At the moment i am lacking confidence as the knowledge in these books look enormous and gigantic. It looks like i have to put in 200 hours into studying and exam taking. Its been a while since i took an exam and maybe because of that i feel demotivated and down.

-Arun-

Comments

• tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good strategy, especially with making notes from missed questions. I'm doing the same.

Regarding the confidence thing, download the exam objectives and lay them out according to domain. Then, as you studio, write down the pertinent info under each bullet point in each domain in the objectives. In the end, you'll have a nice summary of all of the objectives. You want to make sure that, in your studies, you cover everything they list in those objectives.
  • Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A few points: 
    1. As you intend to use Eric Conrad's CISSP Study Guide, it may be redundant to use the 11th Hour Book as it is only a short version of it. Also, while it is good to use more than one resource, it can also be counter-productive especially when there are inconsistencies in the books that may cause you confusion or doubt.
    2. You may not want to use all your practice exam questions until AFTER you read the text or material (or watch the videos). That way, you avoid the possibility of memorizing the answers and get the most benefit out of it (at least IMHO) as you get to apply and/or reinforce whatever it is that you learned.
    3. You can also download Kelly's course in Cybrary so you can listen to it during your commute or during your idle time.

tedjames said:

Regarding the confidence thing, download the exam objectives and lay them out according to domain. Then, as you studio, write down the pertinent info under each bullet point in each domain in the objectives. In the end, you'll have a nice summary of all of the objectives. You want to make sure that, in your studies, you cover everything they list in those objectives.
    You can use the below link to map your materials with the current exam objectives -
    https://cccure.training/m/articles/view/NEW-CISSP-CBK-version-is-coming-out-in-April-of-2018
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • COBOL_DOS_ERACOBOL_DOS_ERA Member Posts: 205 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You did receive some invaluable advice here. I would suggest to add Boson CISSP exam QAs  under the practice exam list.
    CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, PMP, PMI-ACP, SEC+, ITIL V3, A-CSM. And Many More.
  • d3s3rtf0xd3s3rtf0x Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You are ticking the right boxes on your study materials...get your practice question times up...you'll need it.
    Good luck!
  • kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    3. CISSP Study Guide 7th Edition (Sybex)  should be changed to CISSP Study Guide 8th Edition (Sybex) so that you will have the most recent study guide.
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!