Which one to pick?? Pentest+ OR CEH

shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
I took the Pentest+ beta (which kicked my arse)...CEH is next week for me.

Here is a new video just uploaded by CompTIA about both...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj3RnDOK7PA
CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP

Comments

• NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    PenTest+ is much more affordable than the CEH and it has practical portions to it. 

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah, hope to pass CEH, so I can get reimbursed for it through work.  When I took the Pentest+ beta, I really didn't have a solid training resource except CEH material, which didn't have enough info for me to pass it.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If those were my only options, I'd probably choose CEH for the market share and name recognition. If I was paying out of pocket and had to choose I'd skip them both.

My strategy is always to look at job postings for the ideal position and see what the requirements are. Obtaining a cert and then wondering if it will have any ROI is not ideal.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    CEH is good to fulfill DoD 8570 requirements, but at the price, I would go for CISSP instead.  PenTest+ is still fairly new so it doesn't have the same recognition, other than being part of CompTIA.

Also keep in mind that CEH has an Exam option and a Practical option, both at the same price.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    C|EH is listed in a lot of job reqs.....   
  • c5rookiec5rookie Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited December 2018
    Are you planning on working in a DoD environment?  If so, then getting the CEH is the shortest path there.  If you just want to learn basic memorization, aka route level learning, then just do the CEH.  If you actually want to learn a little more and have things explained, then I would recommend studying some more for Pentest+.  There are a few books out there now which cover the material used for the exam.  I went through the CEH course back in 2013 and looking back at it, it's good for learning terms, but not much else.  I had a friend of mine show me the "new content" and the labs have not improved.  Still the same "monkey see, monkey do" steps that show you how to install a Windows program...  In addition, when you are given commands to type, they fail at telling you what the command is doing.
  • McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    edited December 2018
    CySA+ fills all of the same reqs that CEH does now for 8570 as well. No point in wasting your time or money if you are DoD.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Yes, from a DDoD 8570 perspective, CySA+ will allow you to avoid taking CEH, but they don't overlap that much in material covered. Neither gets into actual pentesting skills as the PenTest+ does.