Excited and a little nervous

MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
I'm not exactly a noob when it comes to interviews and usually don't get too worked up.  Usually I rarely study to prepare for an interview other than the cursory look up details about the company and check the requirements.  Tonight I've spent a few hours after the kids went to sleep to just brush up on a few things and dig deeper into a company as I'll have an interview for a DevOps role (more ops than dev, which is what I prefer) with a smaller, but growing company.  The recruiter I've been speaking with has pretty much let me know that it will be fairly technical which is why I really wanted to do as well as possible and not be caught with my pants down.  He even let me know that the interviewer is the hiring manager and tends to keep expanding on the questions to see how deep my knowledge is.  My strengths are definitely more on the Ops side and server side and definitely weaker on the scripting side.  Part of that is that I currently work for a very large company currently that has many of those scripting duties in the hands of other teams that are way more experienced in that. 

While I rarely have to write a new script, I do have to debug/modify those scripts at times.  I'd do more automation, however much of what I do is usually uncharted territory and rarely something I don't replicate so that's not something I've had to do.  I've run automation scripts/chef stuff for some of the more standard items, but again it's not something that I had to do any work on to get it to work.

Anyways, just hoping that myself and the kids sleep tonight so that I can be ready for the interview.  Now I just have to figure out when I need to go and hit the gym tomorrow.  Either earlier in the AM, or later in the afternoon which I hate. Figure if anything the stress release of the gym will only help me stay focused. 

TLDR:  Have a DevOps interview tomorrow and a little excited about it as it's a nice move up for me.

Comments

• DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Good luck with your interview tomorrow! Even if it comes out for better or for worse there is always learning opportunity to do better and to make sure that you more prepared for the next. Let us know how it goes as I genuinely curious how people's interviews pan out.
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It actually went very well and the role is more of a SRE role, but just has the flavor of the month title currently. Will hear more early next week about next steps. 
    Revisiting this again, as I have another DevOps interview tomorrow, focused more on the Ops side for an internal position at my current company.  I had applied to the role back early fall, and was passed over at the time as they wanted someone with more experience in that tech internally, but couldn't find anyone that was a fit so they opened it up to allow someone to come in and learn the role better and build up good solid skills.   So of course, now I'm nervous and excited again.  I think I need a stiff drink tonight. 
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    edited December 2018
    It's Friday - have 2 drinks!! Good luck on the interview! Hope it goes well. 

edit: geesh - can't believe that I forgot what day it is. that's what happens when I have more than 2 drinks.
    paul78 said:
    It's Friday - have 2 drinks!! Good luck on the interview! Hope it goes well. 

edit: geesh - can't believe that I forgot what day it is. that's what happens when I have more than 2 drinks.
    I like the way you think.  2 drinksish it is!

And thanks, it's a good move up for me and will definitely open up more doors for me when I wanna get PAID.  Or, at least show an employer in Germany that I'm a good person to bring over. 
    Heard back on the first one. Apparently they really liked me and were ready to throw me an offer, but since my interview they ran into someone with a bit of dev experience which I don't have outside of basic scripting. No biggie though, it wasn't almost too far away from me to drive to daily. 
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Heard back on the first one. Apparently they really liked me and were ready to throw me an offer, but since my interview they ran into someone with a bit of dev experience which I don't have outside of basic scripting. No biggie though, it wasn't almost too far away from me to drive to daily. 
    If it's meant to be it works out man.    Hang in there and good luck on the second one.  
    I'm at least in good place where I am not desperate and can be a bit picky.  My end goal honestly is to find a good role in Germany that will pay me enough to offer a good life for my family there.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Use the force Luke!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP