Options

Who is currently seeking their CCIP?

mtbcyclistmtbcyclist Member Posts: 30 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just curious as I was thinking about going for CCIE but CCIP looked like a good detour as I work for a service provider.

Comments

• Options
    HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    I am currently.
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    romainromain Member Posts: 222
    Hi,

I'm working for a service for many years too and am also preparing CCIP.
    I'm focussing on BGP test at the moment. This cert quite nice fit our work and maybe completed by a CCNP which focusses on WAN media technologies and LAN. Maybe they are included in MPLS course, I need to check.

Best studies.

Romain.
    CCIE R&S Candidate

Dynamips Labs
  • Options
    HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    I am currently.

I started studying for BGP in late december right after BSCI. I've decided to take the BGP exam since it is very enjoyable to read...
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    I am currently working toward the BGP + MPLS combined, cheap option! Ill probably pay for it in the long run, anway I already got BSCI and QOS so this is the last one for the CCIP
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    same here.. making an IE written stop first icon_wink.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    tmlerdaltmlerdal Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm in a bit of debate whether to go down the CCIP route or CCVP. I'm leaning towards CCIP on the way to CCIE just because of the BGP and QoS exams. Thought it would be a good step looking at the CCIE blueprints and seeing that QoS and BGP are their own areas being covered.

Only reason I'm considering the CCVP is because I can get those classes online through work.
  • Options
    mrkoreanmrkorean Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I work for a Service Provider and have been stuck in a rut for the last few years mainly doing first line unix sys admin and network troubleshooting. Half a year ago , I applied for an internal network job but failed to get it. So I went back to basics and studied CCNA. Failed in December. Passed on my second attempt in January. Recently I got involved in IPT at work so I got interested in CCVP, I passed Cvoice in Feb this month, straight after passing my CCNA. I re-applied for the internal network job yesterday, I was better prepared technically than last time but the senior network engineers said they can see that I have a lot of theoretical knowledge but lack real hand on experience especially in a live environment. They advised me not to pursue CCVP yet, instead go for CCIP to build a strong foundation and because QoS, BGP and MPLS are highly valued. The guy said if I have CCIP and CCVP together, I will be going places. :D
  • Options
    larkspurlarkspur Member Posts: 235
    I often wonder what it might be like to work for an SP. I am an Network Eng for a public company. It would be nice to just focus on the network and be surrounded by switching and routing. It certainly would help and with a vast and disperse network to work on it must be enjoyable?!

Have any of you been my side of the fence and made the swicth for that reason?

maybe a case of 'the grass is always greener"?
    just trying to keep it all in perspective!
  • Options
    dddmandddman Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've thought of attending CCIE SP trainning class but becuase of tution fee,I decide to learn and take CCIP exam.I thought Having CCNp and CCIP certification would be enough for me to start my finding job journey.
    I do like to read CCIP study meterial like MPLS,TE,BGP but I felf QoS seem to be hard to learn.Try more...

Best wish for you guy !

dddman
  • Options
    liquid6liquid6 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hopefully finishing up my CCDP this week, then on to the CCIP. Still undecided on which exam to tackle first, but I think I'll probably do either QoS or BGP.

Let us know what you are using for study and updates along the way!

liquid
    blog.insomniacnetwork.com
  • Options
    tmlerdaltmlerdal Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just finished up my CCIP.

QoS I thought was the easiest, but had finished up the ONT exam on the CCNP only a few months before, plus had lots of practice at work. I used Wendell Odom's QoS Exam Cert guide.

I took the BGP/MPLS combined exam, because I drug my feet so long on taking BGP, and was just getting tired of Studying. Plus figured with the promotion by VUE it was worth a shot. I got my hands on a copy of the MPLS coursebook, and read Internet Routing Architectures by Sam Halabi, first couple of chapters in Routing TCP/IP Volume II. as well as some other bits and pieces on Cisco's site. Seems like I had another book in there, but can't think what it is.
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    mtbcyclist wrote:
    Just curious as I was thinking about going for CCIE but CCIP looked like a good detour as I work for a service provider.

mtbcyclist,

Be advised that there is a CCIE - Service Provider certification. The Service Provider track goes: CCNA -> CCIP -> CCIE - Service Provider.

Source:
    1. Service Provider - CCIE - Cisco Systems - http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/ccie/sp/index.html