Out of Hibernation!

TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
Looks like I'll be coming back to the forums a bit more often again now. I was away for a few months just doing random stuff not very related to IT and some that were. So here is a small list of how I passed my time to re-energize the batteries. 

1. Went on a 3 week long vacation abroad in Europe. 
2. Went on a 1 week long vacation to Florida a month ago.
3. Lost about 25 pounds and got my old self back, shirts, pants, sweaters they fit better now lol. 
4. Got my hunting license
5. Got my soccer license for the Grassroots level and looking potentially for the next level.
6. Paid off my mortgage. 
7. Got a new car.
8. Went for a long week Cisco training for ISE and NAC implementation. Very useful, if you are not using NAC, look into it.
9. Read a book or 2
10. Played video games like I was 17 years old again lol. I had stopped for over 10 years, had forgotten how addictive it is.
11. Took part reviewing a beta course on Cloud Security from WGU, got paid $300 for it.
12. Build a home gym with few equipments and a bench. Works well and its convenient, not to mention saved a ton of money.

Not in any particular order and I cant say that some of it was time well spent but hey we have to clear our mind and just do something different from time to time. I'll be restarting my CISM studies soon and hoping to get the exam next year. 

Hopefully the old members are still around, this is a great place to be. Looking forward to catching up again and get help and continue to contribute something positive back to the community!

Comments

• DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Welcome back TheFORCE. I remember seeing your original post where you wanted to take a break before the new TE face lift. Out of curiosity, what did you do to lose the 25 pounds? Was it from all the exercise from all your travels? 
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited December 2018
    DZA_ said:
    Welcome back TheFORCE. I remember seeing your original post where you wanted to take a break before the new TE face lift. Out of curiosity, what did you do to lose the 25 pounds? Was it from all the exercise from all your travels? 

Thanks man. To lose the weight, I hit the gym hard. I was approaching 200 pounds, that dont look good on a guy with a 5 10 height. 

I started by going to my local gym and doing workouts,  specifically lifting and HIIT.  On the weekends or on the day off from lifting I would run 5 miles, I've been running my whole life so running was easy. Now im at 170-175, and looking to build some good weight doing more chest, back and arms on my workouts. Eating healthier was a big part, I'd cook my lunch at home in the morning before work and take it with me, mostly vegetables and lean meats, chicken and turkey, fish, very little red meat.

As I was seeing the difference in my body, my wife joined me also and we decided to build our home gym, got a few equipment and spent probably like $400-$500. Thats not a lot compared to the monthly gym memberships,  so now we work out 3-4 times a week. So having someone to work out with you and motivate you helps a lot also.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    edited December 2018
    Force being 5 ft 10 I know what you mean.  I started hitting chest again and they are forming like when I was in my 20's.  Keep up the good work and I'll do the same!

I'm hitting kettle bell swing and goblet squats for lower body.  And doing bench, back and shoulders.  I have a bad neck so I have to be careful.  It's hiliarous my bench used to be 330 - 345 lbs back in college ( I used to do 5 sets, 1 with the bar 45 lbs 20 reps, 135 15 reps 225 12 reps then depends on 315 usually 3 - 5 reps and then I would either go for my max or do another set of 315) now I'm working hard with 225 now lol.  Funny thing is the size of the muscles are coming back, it's like they have been dormant for 8 years and now are activating.  
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Good to see you back mate!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

TheFORCE said:
    DZA_ said:

Thanks man. To lose the weight, I hit the gym hard. I was approaching 200 pounds, that dont look good on a guy with a 5 10 height. 

I started by going to my local gym and doing workouts,  specifically lifting and HIIT.  On the weekends or on the day off from lifting I would run 5 miles, I've been running my whole life so running was easy. Now im at 170-175, and looking to build some good weight doing more chest, back and arms on my workouts. Eating healthier was a big part, I'd cook my lunch at home in the morning before work and take it with me, mostly vegetables and lean meats, chicken and turkey, fish, very little red meat.

As I was seeing the difference in my body, my wife joined me also and we decided to build our home gym, got a few equipment and spent probably like $400-$500. Thats not a lot compared to the monthly gym memberships,  so now we work out 3-4 times a week. So having someone to work out with you and motivate you helps a lot also.

This is probably the most inspiring and relatable post I've read recently on TE. I'm actually in the same starting point as you, close to about 195 at 5"6" - I've gained about 20 lbs starting this office job in the downtown area. Luckily for me, I'm more of a stockier build so the weight isn't stuck too much in one place.  My last job wasn't so bad even though I was doing consulting, I was able to do about an hour's workout (full gym) at my office and manage to keep the muscle on but now its all fat.  Timing couldn't be any better since I'm on vacation since Thursday till Jan 2nd so that'll give me some time to crack the whip at the gym, rock climbing gym and fix my diet + sleep hygiene. 

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Welcome back!! Good to hear that you are hitting the gym. Have you looked in the Peloton bike? A great addition to any gym..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
    Good luck DZA I hope you achieve your goals! I love hearing about people going to the gym and kicking goals! I'm a personal trainer on the side and have been training a close friend and 3 clients. Best thing I've done this year!

Being a personal trainer and a IT Professional is a working discipline, props to you UnixGuy. I was pretty good at it before then it all sloped down once I started working downtown and the gym got further away. I'll keep you posted on my updates! I get nagged all the time by my girlfriend who works in health care (she works under the cardio team during the OR) so I always get that pressure from her too but the again, the goal of the game is to have a long life so I can't complain. 
    @DZA: Most effective way is to find a really good/reputable strength coach. you'll get results quicker than you thought you could, and you can only train 3 times per week

Good luck with the 2019 goals, gonna be a big year for all of us

• Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 Registered Users Posts: 191 ■■■■■□□□□□
    TheFORCE said:
    DZA_ said:

THIS IS AWESOME! Glad to hear you got back to your weight goal. This is really inspiring to hear as i am in the same boat (5'9; 192 pounds) and need to get back into exercise and eating right..
    Current: Network+ | Project+ 
    Working on: PMP