Ever get a little too hype about a job opportunity?

ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
I've got a second round interview next week.  

The company is well-known. 
The work is fully aligned with my skill set. 
It would be in a part of the country that I've always wanted to live.  
The salary is almost double what I'm making now. 

I don't need this job. I just want it *really* badly.  I probably need to just chill, but I can't help but be excited.

Weird thing is, it doesn't make me nervous at all.  I'm just ready to get to answering questions. 

Anyone else ever get like this?

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Yes, however..don't put all your eggs in one basket. :-)
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Get excited about a new job?

Yes, me. Every single time.

Hope you get it!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thank you guys for the kind words. At this point it would be a “nice to have.”  I just want a change.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think your reaction is normal. I do remember getting pretty excited about a job a couple of years ago. Good luck next week on the interview.
    paul78 said:
    I think your reaction is normal. I do remember getting pretty excited about a job a couple of years ago. Good luck next week on the interview.
    Thanks man.  I am doing some prep to get ready.  
  • DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Good luck with your job interview. I've been in that situation before that I got really hyped up to work for the company Shopify. The benefits were pretty amazing, a laid back tech culture and definitely a company that I wanted to be a part of since I came from a not so great Manage Service Provider. That being said I didn't get the job. Lessons learned, don't get over too hyped about the opportunity, try to keep your expectations normal as possible, keep your emotions in check. 

Cheers, 
    DZA_

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Ertaz said:
    I'm just ready to get to answering questions.
    In a second-round interview you should be in the mindset of having a conversation and not just "answering questions." Some candidates get very caught up in providing correct and complete information, like they are taking an exam in school. The interviewers already know the answers to the questions they are asking. They want top discover how you think, what your reactions to specific situations are, and to get a sense if your personality will fit in their team. Converse with your interviewers as if they are already your work peers and not as if they are instructors or interrogators.
    JDMurray said:
    Ertaz said:
    I'm just ready to get to answering questions.
    In a second-round interview you should be in the mindset of having a conversation and not just "answering questions." Some candidates get very caught up in providing correct and complete information, like they are taking an exam in school. The interviewers already know the answers to the questions they are asking. They want top discover how you think, what your reactions to specific situations are, and to get a sense if your personality will fit in their team. Converse with your interviewers as if they are already your work peers and not as if they are instructors or interrogators.
    Thanks for the feedback.  I've prepped about 8 solid illustrations around key work interactions that highlight just that.
  • Azt7Azt7 Member Posts: 121 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah, I definitely got too excited recently. One opportunity that seemed good was to be a security advisor.

I show up at the interview and after multiple questions that I asked to narrow things down, the manager goes '' Yeah, I really need somebody to help with Intune Administration and locking down controls...'' 

In my head, I just went ''you are looking for an Intune admin then not a security advisor'' :D 

So yeah in the future, less excitement and more focus 
    Certifications : ITIL, MCSA Office 365, MCSE Productivity, AWS CSAA, Azure Architect, CCSK, TOGAF
    Studying for :  TBD
    Azt7 said:
    Yeah, I definitely got too excited recently. One opportunity that seemed good was to be a security advisor.

I show up at the interview and after multiple questions that I asked to narrow things down, the manager goes '' Yeah, I really need somebody to help with Intune Administration and locking down controls...'' 

In my head, I just went ''you are looking for an Intune admin then not a security advisor'' :D 

So yeah in the future, less excitement and more focus 
    I've chilled over the weekend and got my focus on.    I'm not looking for something good, I'm looking for something great. 
  • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yeah, about 4 yrs ago I got an interview for a company I had wanted to work for since I was 9 and visited their corporate headquarters on a class trip. I couldn't even believe I got the interview without a degree or any industry certs but still it was happening. I came very close! In the end it was down to me and 1 other guy, but he chose the guy who he believed was more like him or at least the view he had of himself. He was looking for a clone to replace him, and I just didn't fit the bill. It destroyed me for a while :D Took me a couple of weeks to regather myself and continue to go on interviews.

Needless to say... never again.

Good luck on getting the job but remember if you don't, it's not the end of the world, and you'll probably end up getting something even better.
    Made it to round 3.  We'll see how the next step goes.  
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ertaz said:
    That's great to hear. One more step closer. Congrats!

• the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats!  Yeah I've gotten overly excited for a couple of jobs early in my career that didn't pan out.  Experience teaches you to slowdown a bit and take it as it goes.  That sound, your frame of mind seems pretty good to me.  Good luck!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ertaz said:
    Keep us posted.  Good luck.
    Ertaz said:
    Keep us posted.  Good luck.
    Thanks man. 
  • SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Rooting for you dude
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
    Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
    Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise
    They came back to me today and said that we won't schedule anything until after the first of the year. So more waiting :)
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @Ertaz - That's actually a good sign IMO.  It tells me that the culture has some balance and that this time of year is used to decompress, not cram project deliverables.....   (I know I know a lot of assumptions).
    Round 3 complete.  Started really strong, waned a bit in the middle, and finished on a very high note.   They said I should know something in the next 3 weeks. In any event, it's been a learning experience. 
  • COBOL_DOS_ERACOBOL_DOS_ERA Member Posts: 205 ■■■■■□□□□□
    That's good news. Good Luck.
    CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, PMP, PMI-ACP, SEC+, ITIL V3, A-CSM. And Many More.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Always approach every interview as an opportunity for presentation practice and to receive a good learning experience.
    Got the call today.  It's a no.  Oh well, I think I know where I crashed and burned.  I will get better and maybe the next thing is just around the corner. 
  • Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited January 2019
    An interview process is a learning experience. Gets even better if you actually get the job.

Being excited about a job can be good. I believe the prospective employer needs to see that enthusiasm in you provided you back it up by knowing your stuff.

It can be soul crashing if you don't get it but hey these things can happen.
    Learning from this experience will empower you on the next opportunity.
    Ah that's too bad, but at least they let you know and didn't leave you hanging.