Certification Goals 2019

luisbeeluisbee Member Posts: 28 ■■■□□□□□□□
As per December tradition with TechExams community, what are your certification goals / plans for 2019? What are the certifications, courses or any career development plans do you have?

The below is my list for 2019:

Certifications: CISSP-ISSAP
Training / Courses: Sec DevOps
Self Taught: Python

And as always, these are all subject to change icon_thumrightgif

Let's keep it rolling on this thread!!!
Certs Achieved: CISA / CISM / CISSP / ISO 27001 Lead Auditor / CRISC
Currently Studying: ISSAP / Python

"Be silly. Be fun. Be different. Be crazy. Be you, because life is too short to be anything but happy." - Anon

Comments

• PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited December 2018
    RHCSA, RHCE & possibly take AZ-102 as well. 

I may also apply for a CS degree, depending on a few circumstances.
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • mrkdiskmrkdisk Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Certifications: CISSP and maybe the OSCP
  • trojintrojin Member Posts: 275 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JNCIA Cloud, TOGAF, CCSK, PgDipl in Cloud Computing, CISSP

I'm just doing my job, nothing personal, sorry

xx+ certs...and I'm not counting anymore

• PseudonymousPseudonymous Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
    PenTest+ and OSCP. I might go for the eCPTT instead of OSCP if I can get my company to pay for it.
    Certifications: A+, N+, S+, CCNA: CyberOps, eJPT, ITIL, etc.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I've run out of excuses to do the CISM so I think it's time. Also want to do AWS to keep my tech skills alive after going down the dark path of management. 
  • Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 Registered Users Posts: 191 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Looking forward to the Cysa+ and after that... not quite sure
    Current: Network+ | Project+ 
    Working on: PMP
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    edited December 2018
    Probably none to be honest.  I knocked out a Teradata exam (cert) last year and usually stick to my plan of getting one every other year.  

I just started a new gig as well and that will keep my hands full for at least a few months.   Of course I'll follow some of you and root you on.  I find these threads to be exciting even if I am not the one going through the journey.  
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited February 2019
    Certifications: SLAE, Certified Red Team Professional - Pentester Academy, Certified Red Team Expert - Pentester Academy 
    Training / Courses: AppSec Cali 2019 - Real World Red Team Attacks , Active Directory Attacks for Red and Blue Teams Advanced Edition - BlackHat
    Self Taught: Python, Powershell, C#

Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • plopbangcrashplopbangcrash Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think I may take a break for awhile. Since May I picked up the CISSP, CAP, CISM, CRISC and CISA. I may research available PHD programs or if I get a wild hair, chase the CISSP concentrations or CASP.
  • averageguy72averageguy72 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Since it sounds like my company is going to be pushing hard into AWS, probably more there.  All of these in 2019 is unrealistic, but good to maintain a list.

ITIL Foundation
    TOGAF

AWS SysOps
    AWS Security
    AWS Advanced Networking
    AWS Big Data
    AWS DevOps Professional

Azure Administrator (AZ-10x)
    Azure Solutions Architect (if they release the exams for AZ-30x)

eCDFP
    eCPPT
    OSCP
    eCIR (maybe)
    CISSP / CCSP / CCSK / CRISC / CISM / CISA / CASP / Security+ / Network+ / A+ / CEH / eNDP / AWS Certified Advanced Networking - Specialty / AWS Certified Security - Specialty / AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional / AWS Certified SysOps Administrator - Associate / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate / AWS Certified Developer - Associate / AWS Cloud Practitioner
  • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    CCNA is on the top of my list for this year, then Sec+ (to complete my trifecta).

I would also really like to start digging into Cloud and getting better with my Python.

This is also the year where I make 2 certs a year mandatory now and not just "probable" or "hopeful".

May also continue my goofing around with Arduino if I have time.

CCNA is on the top of my list for this year, then Sec+ (to complete my trifecta).

I would also really like to start digging into Cloud and getting better with my Python.

This is also the year where I make 2 certs a year mandatory now and not just "probable" or "hopeful".

May also continue my goofing around with Arduino if I have time.

Even to this day the CCNA can be a career changer.  I am a broken record, but this single cert has assisted so many of my previous co workers from going from the help desk to infrastructure / networking teams.  Of course this was back 10 plus years ago, but I have friends who have younger siblings landing this certification and starting their careers.  

This one has my respect to the utmost.  
  • r3nzsecr3nzsec Member Posts: 39 ■■■□□□□□□□
    eCPPT, eWPT, OSCP then GREM
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    CISSP-ISSEP is on the "really really want" list, as it directly affects my job performance.  CCNP ROUTE is on the "must have" list, as my CCNA R/S and Security expire in September.  After that, I'll work on the first MCSA: Server 2016 exam, which is not a must have for 2019.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • cochi78cochi78 Member Posts: 72 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I delayed LPIC-701 and CASP from this year, so will address those first in Jan/Feb.

In summary, 2019 will mark quite a brutal push into security-related certificates: CISA, CISSP, CRISC and CISM are planned. And if I got some energy left after that, I might tackle some CISSP concentration as well.

In terms of yet-unreleased certs, I will definitively do the AWS Machine Learning Specialty and the Chef Habitat one.

Occasional bonus certs may appear as well :)

• Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    2019 goals
    Finish Windows Server 2016 MCSA
    Renew CCNA
    Begin my  CCNP journey

Good Luck All!!!
  • CLICLI Registered Users Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CCNA R&S.
    Prefer to be defeated in the presence of the wise than to excel among fools. -Dōgen Zenji
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    • Finish CCNP R&S.  I passed SWITCH a while back and will be taking ROUTE soon
    • Either CompTIA CySA+ or CASP+ to renew my Security+
    • Mess around with Powershell and python more
  • DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Taking another stab but 2019 is going for CCSP, CRISC and maybe CISA pending if it adds any value in my role. 
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I see this post the last few years...

I suggest...

using....these....dot dot dot

at the end of every sentence...

because you really don't know what you are going to pass...

set a goal of at least ONE cert you are going to pass...

If you can do that, then you are golden...

don't be disappointed if you fail...

as they say...

if all else fails...

read the directions...

cheers!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    shochan said:
    I see this post the last few years...

I suggest...

using....these....dot dot dot

at the end of every sentence...

because you really don't know what you are going to pass...

set a goal of at least ONE cert you are going to pass...

If you can do that, then you are golden...

don't be disappointed if you fail...

as they say...

if all else fails...

read the directions...

cheers!

I'm taking this as a personal attack. :) I over use ellipsis a lot...

For me in 2019, it'll be an easy year. I'm doing ITILv3 Foundations and eCPPT. I'm taking it easy and writing a book (on Windows 10), reading a few books (2 non-IT non-fiction and 2 fiction), and trying to learn conversational French. Much easier goals than 2018. 
  • vaultdweller24vaultdweller24 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CAP and CISSP are on my list!  Also taking 18 hours next semester to finish my undergrad.
  • Azt7Azt7 Member Posts: 121 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited July 2019
    CCSP 
    CISM or ISO 27005 Risk Manager

Certifications : ITIL, MCSA Office 365, MCSE Productivity, AWS CSAA, Azure Architect, CCSK, TOGAF
    Studying for :  TBD
  • plopbangcrashplopbangcrash Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Update:  Provisionally passed CISSP-ISSMP, one less concentration to complete next year.
  • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    DatabaseHead said:
    Even to this day the CCNA can be a career changer.  I am a broken record, but this single cert has assisted so many of my previous co workers from going from the help desk to infrastructure / networking teams.  Of course this was back 10 plus years ago, but I have friends who have younger siblings landing this certification and starting their careers.  

Yes! I'm hoping this will be my "game changer" as I'm really pressed for time having entered the field at a more mature age than most.

Thank you for your comment. It's encouraging to me, and I highly appreciate it.
    edited December 2018
    DatabaseHead said:

Yes! I'm hoping this will be my "game changer" as I'm really pressed for time having entered the field at a more mature age than most.

Thank you for your comment. It's encouraging to me, and I highly appreciate it.
    You are certainly welcome and the best part it's the TRUTH.  

While on the "desk" most people worked their way up from level 1 to level 2 and stalled.  Someone would take roles in a more administrative capacity (Team lead even help desk manager at times or something like desktop support).  We did have a few make it to the SOC and begin to build their security tool kit, but that was about it.  These folks usually had a degree in security or some certification.  

The computer science folks would get picked up in a myriad of roles, development, systems, management etc....   

Then you had the folks who would get the CCNA and it never failed they were sucked up so quick either internal if not most certainly external.  These folks went on to do big things as far as I know.  I have a friend named Pete who works at a private company and he has made it all the way up to security architect with A+ and the CCNA.  Sure he is talented, but I'd say the CCNA helped market him.

Even while working on a managed service effort years later as a project lead I would talk to the employees AKA stakeholders and they stated how they really respected the CCNA and how it was one of the only certifications they acknowledge on the resumes.  This was in discussions about resources they were looking to bring on for a networking, infrastructure project. 

Keep in mind I have worked for several companies, FTE and contractor and the same reaction throughout all these environments.  Worse case it doesn't hurt or help.

Truth be told, if I had to do it all over again I would of probably studied my rear off for the CCNA and built a career path that way.  Just saying....
  • meni0nmeni0n Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hopefully I'll be able to do OSCE, eWPT, eCTHP and possible a cloud cert...

I'm also hoping to start a BS in Cyber Security but that would depend if WGU starts accepting Canadians again otherwise I'd have to go for another competency-based College...
  • ecuisonecuison Member Posts: 131 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Start Masters in CyberSecurity (hopefully fall of 2019), CRISC , AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate, full immersion into Python.
    Accomplishments: B.S. - Business (Information Management) | CISSP | CCSP | TOGAF v9.2 Certified | Security + | Network +
  • ITtech2010ITtech2010 Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
    AWS Advanced Networking
    AWS Certified Solutions Architech
    CCDP
    F5 LTM
    Fortinet NSE 4
    CCIE R&S Written

• MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited December 2018
    Still up in the air, but here is what I'm considering at the moment

Renew CCNP (must) - Will either do that by sitting CCNP Sec exam 300-208 or CCDP
    Palo Alto PCNSE

Other options
    AWS Advanced Network Specialty
    VCP-NV