Officially a Detective!

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
As of yesterday I have officially become a Detective.  Took my last two tests and have completed the academy.  Tomorrow we graduate, but Wednesday was the big day.  A very long 5 months that I am glad is over, but in a small way I will miss it.  Thanks for all the support it was definitely a big help!
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Congrats!!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Great news!   So happy for you!

• CyberCop123CyberCop123 Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As of yesterday I have officially become a Detective.  Took my last two tests and have completed the academy.  Tomorrow we graduate, but Wednesday was the big day.  A very long 5 months that I am glad is over, but in a small way I will miss it.  Thanks for all the support it was definitely a big help!
    Congratulations!  

I'm guessing you're US based, it's slightly different in the UK.  I'm a Detective in the UK - welcome to the club! 
    My Aims
    2017: OSCP -
    COMPLETED
    2018: CISSP -
    COMPLETED
    2019: GIAC GNFA - Advanced Network Forensics & Threat Hunting -
    COMPLETED
               GIAC GREM - Reverse Engineering of Malware -
    COMPLETED

2021: CCSP
    2022: OSWE (hopefully)
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats brother! Now go crank off a desk pop.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    We joked about the desk pop during range week...thankfully one never occurred.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • MickyDeeMickyDee Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Awesome, congrats!
  • COBOL_DOS_ERACOBOL_DOS_ERA Member Posts: 205 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats!!
    CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, PMP, PMI-ACP, SEC+, ITIL V3, A-CSM. And Many More.
  • Domm362Domm362 Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Very nice, congratulations!!
    "Winners focus on winning. Losers focus on winners."
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Oh yeah, I forgot to say "OFFICER IT WAS HIM -->" and "I DIDN'T DO IT!!!!" oh and don't forget "YOU BETTER BEHAVE OR I'LL HAVE THIS COP ARREST YOU"

Heh, heh.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Congrats Detective!!!! 
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations.  
  • jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations!  Now you can work on being able to properly teach cell phone forensics :)
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
    jcundiff said:
    Congratulations!  Now you can work on being able to properly teach cell phone forensics :)
    Oh heck yeah!  Hoping the academy will allow me to takeover that block!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats!  Well earned.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations, correct me if I'm wrong, but you were never a patrol officer correct? You were IT support of some form before right?
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
    Congratulations, correct me if I'm wrong, but you were never a patrol officer correct? You were IT support of some form before right?
    Yup no patrol background.  I was an Investigator for two years with my agency and an Investigator with another agency for three years.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yup no patrol background.  I was an Investigator for two years with my agency and an Investigator with another agency for three years.
    That's really neat!  
  • rj1790rj1790 Member Posts: 110 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's awesome!!! Congrats! 
    WGU: Network Operations and Security - COMPLETED
    Current Certifications: A+, N+, S+, CCNA R+S, and CCNA Security, CCDA
  • electroniclionelectroniclion Member Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
    edited December 2018
    How did you get into that type of work in the beginning? Sounds pretty cool

congrats !!

congrats !!
    Thanks!  I went from the private sector to a State agency doing cybersecurity investigations and audits (regulatory in nature).  From there I assisted with a criminal investigation involving another agency and eventually they posted for an investigator.  Got hired there, did just about two years as an investigator and then applied to become a Detective.  Took about 5 years on that path ;)
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @the_Grinch congratulations man! Well done!
  • shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited December 2018
    Congratulations detective...it sounds like a fun job!
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • ps.89ps.89 Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□

congrats !!
    Thanks!  I went from the private sector to a State agency doing cybersecurity investigations and audits (regulatory in nature).  From there I assisted with a criminal investigation involving another agency and eventually they posted for an investigator.  Got hired there, did just about two years as an investigator and then applied to become a Detective.  Took about 5 years on that path ;)
    Congratulations on becoming Detective!

Could you provide some information in regards to doing cybersecurity investigations for the State? I always assumed that for the State, the titles were very generic, meaning the title "Investigator" for one State department could be completely different for another department.
    2021 Year Goals: CCNP Enterprise Core; finish a Python video course
    So in the my department (and some other State departments) we have investigators and we have Detectives.  Investigators are sworn, but do not carry a firearm and have no powers of arrest.  Typically they will be extremely specialized so they will never be moved from the unit they are assigned to.  They basically will do just about all the same work as a Detective.

Detectives in turn have completed the police academy, carry firearms and can make arrests.  My agency will hire off the street with just a degree to become a Detective, but typically you were law enforcement somewhere else or you have a skill they cannot get otherwise.  Detectives will typically move to various units because the investigative process is the same regardless of the unit.  

As far as cybersecurity investigations it really depends on the agency.  In my last agency, we dealt solely in regulation and with that came cybersecurity issues (fraud, breaches, security assessments, etc).  We had a number of tools at our disposal in order to see if an event had occurred and then investigate it.  From there we could decide that no action was required, regulatory action was required or criminal action was required.  For the criminal side we would assist the agency that we passed the case to.

For my current agency it's just about the same though the cases will typically be child **** related, though others do come in.  What I can say is that we do some pretty technical stuff that many departments could never do (due largely to our personnel and budget).  Law enforcement, at least at a state and local (for the most part) are vastly behind when it comes to technical investigations.  As it was told to me when I was in college and as I have told people ever since, you can make an IT guy into a police officer....you almost can never make a police officer into an IT guy.

As we all know, you have to live and breathe security in order to do it properly.  Some people want to come in, work and go home.  Nothing wrong with that, but in this profession you need to be working just about 24/7.  I'm on call 24/7/365 and I field calls from agencies all over my state.  The guys in my unit joked that the call volume went down dramatically while I was in the academy for 5 months.  Everyday is different and somedays I start at one end of the state and end up on the other end.  Morning might be a drug case, homicide after lunch and then some sort of fraud before the day ends.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff