Certification Goals 2019

Comments

• Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Same as 2018:

Pen test certs from OffSec, eLS and CREST.
    Clock enough CPEs to renew existing certs

That's it. Now back to PWK lab.. :#

• UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    JoJoCal19 said:
    Goals for 2019 include:

Certs:
    OSCP
    eCPPT
    OSWP
    TOGAF
    AWS CSA
    AWS Security Speciality

Skills:
    Python
    Bash
    Javascript

Stretch:
    Docker
    Jenkins
    Django
    Good luck! you're going to have a fun busy year!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You are certainly welcome and the best part it's the TRUTH.  

While on the "desk" most people worked their way up from level 1 to level 2 and stalled.  Someone would take roles in a more administrative capacity (Team lead even help desk manager at times or something like desktop support).  We did have a few make it to the SOC and begin to build their security tool kit, but that was about it.  These folks usually had a degree in security or some certification.  

The computer science folks would get picked up in a myriad of roles, development, systems, management etc....   

Then you had the folks who would get the CCNA and it never failed they were sucked up so quick either internal if not most certainly external.  These folks went on to do big things as far as I know.  I have a friend named Pete who works at a private company and he has made it all the way up to security architect with A+ and the CCNA.  Sure he is talented, but I'd say the CCNA helped market him.

Even while working on a managed service effort years later as a project lead I would talk to the employees AKA stakeholders and they stated how they really respected the CCNA and how it was one of the only certifications they acknowledge on the resumes.  This was in discussions about resources they were looking to bring on for a networking, infrastructure project. 

Keep in mind I have worked for several companies, FTE and contractor and the same reaction throughout all these environments.  Worse case it doesn't hurt or help.

Truth be told, if I had to do it all over again I would of probably studied my rear off for the CCNA and built a career path that way.  Just saying....

I read that twice. Thanks for sharing. This is one of the main reasons I come here, invaluable information!

My path looks like this so far: CCNA ---> Sec+ (to complete my trifecta and provide a base for CCNA Sec) ---> CCNA Sec and/or Cloud (depends how much I end up liking Cloud) ---> CCNP.

If I really like Cloud, then there will be one or two other Cloud certifications in between CCNA Cloud and the CCNP.

As of now I have no plans to do the CCIE.

• DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You are certainly welcome and the best part it's the TRUTH.  

While on the "desk" most people worked their way up from level 1 to level 2 and stalled.  Someone would take roles in a more administrative capacity (Team lead even help desk manager at times or something like desktop support).  We did have a few make it to the SOC and begin to build their security tool kit, but that was about it.  These folks usually had a degree in security or some certification.  

The computer science folks would get picked up in a myriad of roles, development, systems, management etc....   

Then you had the folks who would get the CCNA and it never failed they were sucked up so quick either internal if not most certainly external.  These folks went on to do big things as far as I know.  I have a friend named Pete who works at a private company and he has made it all the way up to security architect with A+ and the CCNA.  Sure he is talented, but I'd say the CCNA helped market him.

Even while working on a managed service effort years later as a project lead I would talk to the employees AKA stakeholders and they stated how they really respected the CCNA and how it was one of the only certifications they acknowledge on the resumes.  This was in discussions about resources they were looking to bring on for a networking, infrastructure project. 

Keep in mind I have worked for several companies, FTE and contractor and the same reaction throughout all these environments.  Worse case it doesn't hurt or help.

Truth be told, if I had to do it all over again I would of probably studied my rear off for the CCNA and built a career path that way.  Just saying....

I read that twice. Thanks for sharing. This is one of the main reasons I come here, invaluable information!

My path looks like this so far: CCNA ---> Sec+ (to complete my trifecta and provide a base for CCNA Sec) ---> CCNA Sec and/or Cloud (depends how much I end up liking Cloud) ---> CCNP.

If I really like Cloud, then there will be one or two other Cloud certifications in between CCNA Cloud and the CCNP.

As of now I have no plans to do the CCIE.

IMO that is a fantastic plan, tight scope but not so narrow you are pigeon holed into one specific skill set.  
  • eillinois31eillinois31 Member Posts: 38 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited December 2018
    MCSE 70-744(test in January) and VCP 6.5(just had the official class early december).  After that, a break as I studied and passed 3 exams to get the MCSA 2016 this year :). It was time to get some certs! 
  • Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Planning to take application delivery exams. Most likely F5.
  • JoveJove Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited January 2019
    eWPT
    Comptia Cysa+
    eCPPT

Maybe
    CCNA Cyber ops
    AWS Certified SysOps Administrator – Associate.
    OSCP
    CISA
  • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    IMO that is a fantastic plan, tight scope but not so narrow you are pigeon holed into one specific skill set.  

Thank you!
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have a few I would like to get:  ITIL Foundation v4 (mandatory for work), CCNA R&S (personal goal), maybe a Juniper cert or two, a Mile2 cert (since it is free and I find the information interesting), and maybe start down the Red Hat cert path.  If I have the energy, I would like to get an AWS cert, as well.  Nothing too ambitious...

This past year I earned two ITIL intermediate certs, CASP, CCNA Cyber Ops, CIoTP, IT Fundamentals+, and Certified Higher Education Professional certification.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm on track to finish a BS in IT.  As for certs I'm aiming to complete Pentest+ and CISSP this year.  And I've been on and off studying for CWNA for over a year, so I need to get that one done.
  • heatmizer6heatmizer6 Member Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□

I have a few certifications that are on my list:

CISM

CCSP

CAP

But the one I think I’m going forward with has been my Elenore for the last 5 years:

CCIE LAB

I passed the written last march and have been studying on and off due to my Job being more of a management role and not being able to touch equipment often. However, I’m going to focus and with the help of EVE-NG, GNS3 and VIRL lab myself to death and pass the lab by Sept 2019.

• KitH151KitH151 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Planning to pick up my AWS Advanced Networking and DevOps Engineer certifications.  If I decide that life is a bit too easy, maybe I'll attempt the OSCE.
  • ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□

AWS-Dev Ops Engineer -Pro
    AWS-Architect -Pro
    AWS-Advanced Networking
    CCSP
    CISM

Maybe( AWS Big Data / AWS Sysop)

I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

• DntH8MeDntH8Me Member Posts: 73 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited December 2018
    So this is the time of the year for reflection --- 2018 I sucked and didn't get any certs so for 2019 I must complete my failed goals from 2018 and some new ones for 2019.

Certs - CEH (holdover from 2018) | CISM | AWS | PenText + ? | stop procrastinating

Skills - Python
    2019 Certification Goals: ​CEH | PenText + | CISM? | stop procrastinating
  • Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The support you all provide on this forum is incredible. When you feel down for not completing the certs you intended at the start of the year then you spend time here, makes you realise not just me.
  • Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I still have eJPT from 2018 and I'll try to knock that down within the year. 

Aside from that, I'll probably do some courses on AWS, Linux, Bash and Python.

Maybe CCSP or CCSK to close out the year. 
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • luisbeeluisbee Member Posts: 28 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Update to the update :  Provisionally passed CISSP-ISSAP as well. Guess I might as well run down the ISSEP early next year and close it out as well.
    Congrats on passing the CISSP concentrations (ISAAP & ISSMP). Please could you do a review on the ISSAP, what materials you used, how you went about in your studies and when you wrote the exam?

Am def going for it arnd mid-year time and want to gauge if am in the right path for this cert.

Thanks.
    Certs Achieved: CISA / CISM / CISSP / ISO 27001 Lead Auditor / CRISC
    Currently Studying: ISSAP / Python

"Be silly. Be fun. Be different. Be crazy. Be you, because life is too short to be anything but happy." - Anon
  • barberj66barberj66 Member Posts: 86 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just completed the CCENT before Xmas so picking up the full CCNA is my first goal. Hoping to get that completed as soon as possible as I start a new job in March so I need to see what my priorities will be at my new role to decide what to concentrate on next.

Will most probably be MSCA 2016, further into Cisco with the CCNP or possibly CCNA collab as the new place uses Cisco IP kit just need to get up to speed with the new place.
    Goals for 2019: ICND2 first of all then see how it goes.
    CCENT Passed 28/11/18!
    https://jballaboutit.blogspot.co.uk/
  • RinzlerRinzler Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • CyberJosh95CyberJosh95 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I plan on knocking out the following certifications:
    CCSP
    CCNP R+S
    F5 CA

Oh, I should maybe test for GPEN as well since ive taken the course. 

I also plan on contining to learn python and bolstering my project management skills. 
  • anthonxanthonx Member Posts: 109 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm planning to take the CISSP this year and since most in here pursue CCSP after passing, I might as well take it.  Anyone in here currently working in IT audit?  Is this helpful?

After these two certificates, I don't have anything else in mind.  Maybe study Python since it is very useful for data analytics (NOT sure what certs in the market), cyber security (OSCP in the future) or programming (DevOps).
    AnthonX
  • DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    anthonx said:
    I'm planning to take the CISSP this year and since most in here pursue CCSP after passing, I might as well take it.  Anyone in here currently working in IT audit?  Is this helpful?

After these two certificates, I don't have anything else in mind.  Maybe study Python since it is very useful for data analytics (NOT sure what certs in the market), cyber security (OSCP in the future) or programming (DevOps).
    Good luck with the studying Anthonx for both CISSP and CCSP! If you need any assistance with the studying the CISSP (I've noticed that you're in the Toronto area) that we can grab coffee to chat about it. I work for a financial org so our backgrounds will probably be similar. Let me know if you need any guidance with it. 

Cheers, 
    DZA_
  • anthonxanthonx Member Posts: 109 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks DZA, appreciate the support.  Sure, we can meet and get a coffee one of these days.  I will keep in touch.
    AnthonX
  • trojintrojin Member Posts: 275 ■■■■□□□□□□
    trojin said:
    JNCIA Cloud, TOGAF, CCSK, PgDipl in Cloud Computing, CISSP

JNCIA Cloud - completed 05/01/19
    Next one - TOGAF in March
    I'm just doing my job, nothing personal, sorry

xx+ certs...and I'm not counting anymore

• vCISO2017vCISO2017 Member Posts: 51 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Continuing the cloud cert journey I'm going for AWS Cloud & O365.
    On the management front I will be chasing C|CISO and TOGAF.

CITP | CCSP | CCSK | AWS CCP | VCP | CISM | CGEIT | CIPM | PMP | MCSE, etc.......
  • whotimewhotime Member Posts: 122 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am currently working on 

EH-CCISO
    ITIL FOUNDATIONS

Will Look Into
    CISSP- ISSMP
    WGU BS: IT-Security
    In Progress: C170, C246
    To Be Completed: C247, C299, C697, C698, C435, C436, C179
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My 2019 Goals were:

CISSP
    CCSP
    CRISC
    CSSLP 
    With OSCP or CISM at the end of the year 2019 depending on how itchy I am to switch back to technical path. 

CISSP was passed 1/15/2019

Currently reading CSA 4.0 and Sybex & All-in-one for CCSP
  • RussInGothamRussInGotham Member Posts: 15 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In 2018 I got CCNA CyberOps, CCNA R&S, and then my first IT job as a junior network and network security engineer.  I love my job!  It is, however, time consuming in a good way.  That limits my ability to get as many cents as I’d like.

So in 2019 I’ll go for CCNA Security.  I’ve been concerned that a new version will be coming out soon, but I can’t wait forever, so I’m going to pull the trigger and start.