Options

Renegotiating with Current employer

Z0sickxZ0sickx Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
Looking for advice on renegotiating with current employer when they want you to stay but your i'm a contractor for gov agency so i'm not at my company HQ but at the customer site. i've been with current company and customer agency for 3 years now and got offered a sweet exponential salary increase. New company is on option year 2 of 5 so technically have 3 years if i wanted to stay, also would have 4 guys underneath me and myself in command. Professional wise this is still kinda a lateral move just because i'm still with the same agency with a different contractor, the main difference is I'd get Splunk team under my operations realm and i've never used SIEM so its an opportunity in itself to learn that. new company also has 15k tuition assistance.

Current company I know can't match that salary so i need some assistance on what items I could bring up to them to aid in Professional development if i were to stay. I'm a Senior Application Engineer and worked with Tenable,Fortify,and ForeScout and i'm stuck with engineering those tools unless our shop gets something else to build. the only thing that comes to mind is either having them match tuition assistance, all vacation hours upfront,

what else can be leveraged?

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    edited December 2018
    I would not worry about it. I'd go with that other company.  Especially, if your other (the one you are at now)company knows that you are on your way out.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    COBOL_DOS_ERACOBOL_DOS_ERA Member Posts: 205 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would go with the new company. Just keep in the mind that you are at the option year, not at the base year. After recompete, you might have to look for a new company to work for.
    CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, PMP, PMI-ACP, SEC+, ITIL V3, A-CSM. And Many More.
  • Options
    I would go with the new company. Just keep in the mind that you are at the option year, not at the base year. After recompete, you might have to look for a new company to work for.
    True but not likely so i tend not to worry about nor have i seen the gov just cut someone..especially if its critical to ongoing operations
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Every job has a "labor category". This "LCAT" has specific requirements and according to the contract, a price per hour. Ultimately, it's the decision of the government manager whether they want to increase the price of the category you're employed under. If you have a good relationship with the FTE managing the contract, you can probably get an increase.
  • Options
    EANx said:
    Every job has a "labor category". This "LCAT" has specific requirements and according to the contract, a price per hour. Ultimately, it's the decision of the government manager whether they want to increase the price of the category you're employed under. If you have a good relationship with the FTE managing the contract, you can probably get an increase.
    was not aware of that, does that apply to fixed firm price contracts?
  • Options
    Heres a monkey wrench...the day after I accepted the offer because they couldnt' match..i get a text from the Director, then an email from the CEO asking me to reconsider/hear there opportunities...i do have some rapport with upper management and they are now able to match the competitor after accepting the offer...so i have 2 choices stay get same salary and hedge i can get something better on a different contract down the road and be bored or go to much bigger company where i have no upward mobility and would definitely have to jump ship but have a nice Comfortable seat for 3-4 years, and I wouldn't be doing anything different besides being on operation side of the house

Thoughts/perspectives? i'm thinking of rescinding my offer last minute. though flattering being pulled in 2 different directions thinking about which is better for my future is mentally draining
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited January 2019
    Z0sickx said:
    EANx said:
    was not aware of that, does that apply to fixed firm price contracts?
    Sorry, missed this with the holidays. To the best of my knowledge, yes. For instance, this is the link to Alliant pricing on the GSA site https://www.gsa.gov/technology/technology-purchasing-programs/governmentwide-acquisition-contracts/alliant/alliant-pricing

Z0sickx said:
    'm thinking of rescinding my offer last minute. though flattering being pulled in 2 different directions thinking about which is better for my future is mentally draining
    Contracting isn't like a normal commercial job. If you're in a tight labor area then contracting companies know the odds of the original firm tendering an attractive counter is high. They get a little irritated if you've actually started the new job and a few weeks later give your notice.