How do you find your passion in IT?

NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□

How did you guys find your passion in IT? I feel like I like it all except programming.   I keep taking end user support jobs and get bored after 2-3 months of being in that role.

When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
American inventor

Answers

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Stop taking end user support jobs and find a job where you continually grow?  I get pretty bored at jobs if I don't find ways to improve things around me and grow my knowledge.   You have take it upon yourself to make your job interesting.   Just cause they teach you how to do something it definitely doesn't mean it is the best way. 
  • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    By learning about and trying various new things.

I like everything too but some things I like even more.

I don't care much for programming either.

As I've noticed, life has a way of leading you there but you must be open to trying new things.

• Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Taking on a challenge that throws you in the deep end and makes you pull your hair out. The feeling you get after a successful outcome is out of this world.
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Also, be prepared for that passion to change over time.    What you like this year may evolve into something else entirely. 
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■

How did you guys find your passion in IT? I feel like I like it all except programming.   I keep taking end user support jobs and get bored after 2-3 months of being in that role.

Sounds like you get bored easily in these positions.  Look to work short termed projects, by the time you get bored you'll be moving on to another effort.  
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    by finding a position that has a good boss who allows you to learn new technologies.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□

For me, I keep my passion ongoing with a couple areas:

- It's pretty self-explanatory but find the right area that you like: Whether its software development, security, building out infrastructure, etc.
    - Self-development; continue to learn what is new and emerging
       - I always is on the lookout to see what I can subscribe to practice labs and learn new topics. I highly recommend learn through LinuxAcademy
    - Finding the right mentors (technical or non-technical) - Allows me to grow individually to help direct me on my next position. Luckily enough that my organization has a mentorship program that we can enroll into with Senior Leadership 
    - Have big challenges to overcome periodically; this can be in a form of a project or managing people. You don't want to have too many challenges or else you're going to get bogged down and fall behind.

• Domm362Domm362 Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I find my passion by always looking to learn new things. I'm the kind of person that doesn't just want to know the answer to something; I also want to understand why something is that way. Since the IT field is consistently changing and growing, having an open and curious mind is something that I find drives my passion. Plus, the feeling of passing one of those certification tests is nothing short of amazing.
    "Winners focus on winning. Losers focus on winners."