Do you need to know how to code? in order to get far in the field?

DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
Do you need to know how to code? in order to get far in the field?
I know some jobs don't need to know how to code.
but others jobs such as Amazon AWS and Azure some times look like you need to be able to code.
what do you think?

Comments

• EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think that it depends on the job and that while the vast majority of non-programmer IT positions don't require "coding" expertise, many benefit from understanding the basics of scripting in one flavor or another.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    seems it is going that direction...automation = job killer

https://gizmodo.com/so-you-automated-your-coworkers-out-of-a-job-1831584839
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • COBOL_DOS_ERACOBOL_DOS_ERA Member Posts: 205 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Seems like it's going that way. Well, knowing programming always helps. I'm not good at programming. I started programming around 18 years ago and gave up after like 2-3 weeks later. I will give it a try at the end of this year with full stack or python, and see if I still like programming. I very much doubt it, but it doesn't hurt to try again.
    CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, PMP, PMI-ACP, SEC+, ITIL V3, A-CSM. And Many More.
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited January 2019
    Depends on what you want to do. I can't seem to tell what forum I'm in so I can't tell your field, but I'll answer as if you posted in the security field! (edit: I found the crumbs up top to late!)

I think there are three levels of knowledge that can be helpful:
    1- Programming concepts and logic.
    2- Comfortable writing scripts
    3- Comfortable with more traditional full software development

Going down that spectrum can help you depending on what you want to do and what you need to do. Personally, I think everyone in security should meet item #1, i.e. you can understand how and why some code works, and maybe even be able to read and get the gist of some pieces of code. I think most should also be able to at least write small scripts in one or two languages (think things like PowerShell, Python, Bash). Nothing crazy, but things that get little repetitive tasks done.

Going at least that far can make you more comfortable and conversant with many topics, even up to web app sec, devsecops, cloud security, and various other topics that can scare people who say, "I don't code/program."

Also, the whole point of IT is automation; doing tasks better. And automating as much as you can in security is part of that.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited January 2019
    If you want a career for a long time, learn to code. You don't need to be an uber programmer, but you should be able to script in a few language (Powershell, Python, Bash, if you use Linux). Learn how use API to connect your script to the outside world. Scripting is the way of the future for system/network/security administrator.  If you don't learn it, eventually you will be the guy who will do remaining keyboard, mouse and monitor support.   
  • devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For me, learning to code has helped teach me how to be better at scripting, strangely enough. I've been teaching myself JavaScript, and it's actually taught me new concepts and helped me better understand PowerShell. I don't have any background in CS or programming, but I inherited a SharePoint site that is now my pleasure to manage, so learning JS seemed like a logical step.

I think there are still plenty of net/sysadmin jobs out there where coding isn't required, but that might be regional. It's true that coding is becoming more common, but I don't believe it's as big a deal as some people make it out to be.