Bait and Switch.......

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
edited January 2019 in IT Jobs / Degrees
Reason 10009 why certification and more importantly self improvement is a must.....  

Took this position primarily to build dashboards in tableau along with creating KPI's for sales reps etc.....   I've been relegated to a excel spreadsheet monkey......   

This is absolutely frustrating.  It's been a month and finally started to have some significant communication and now this......   Evidently it's going to be at least 6 months before the data is in tableau server and who knows if that delivery data is even accurate.  We all know how corporate projects go..   According the the boss the type of data I am reporting on isn't as critical as the other units......

So what would you do?  I'm scheduled for ~2 hour meeting with my boss and before we gear up and I am going to ask one more time just to be clear that the data I work with is going to be at least 6 months out if not longer.   Keep in mind when I interviewed for this position 50% of the questions maybe more were based around tableau......    I wouldn't of walked a way from a great paying position to munge excel sheets with pivot tables and look ups......

If there was a time to take a risk it's now.  My wife is on a contract that is ~4 months complete and it's 11 months total and pays well.  It wouldn't be ideal but our cost are low, I'm a semi minimalist.  

Sorry to barf this one you but I am concerned.  I've come from several different roles that have been laying foundation to progress my career and now this (what seems to be a turd) is happening.  It's like I took an internship role again.  

Unreal

Comments

• ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Bruh,  Same position as you 4 years ago.  Went from a technical IT position to wrangling data in excel.    I hung in and it seemed to get better.   I'm on the other side of it now, the only thing I regret is that my technical skills have waned.  Long story short, I am going to the cert Gym to get back to doing what I like in the next year.  Life is too short to do something you hate long term.  If this is really just 6 months, then I advise you to ride it out.  If it looks like more than you've got some decisions to make. 
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited January 2019
    I would start to look for another place.. and be ready to walk if my manager does not answer correctly. Don't stay in a role where you cannot improve yourself?
  • Azt7Azt7 Member Posts: 121 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited January 2019
    Be careful buddy, make sure that financially you won't take a hit.

If I were you, I would immediately start looking for a new job without putting this job  on my resume. 

Give yourself at least a month and if you don't have any tractions, just leave then
    Certifications : ITIL, MCSA Office 365, MCSE Productivity, AWS CSAA, Azure Architect, CCSK, TOGAF
    Studying for :  TBD
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Where exactly is that data hosted at? (like can you physically access it yourself?)  I know that I can pull data from oracle with Tableau for reports, or at the least extract what I need from that DB and put it in a simple excel doc. That said, I hate tableau and building reports.   I just want to run them and get my data and not deal with the other stuff. 
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Where exactly is that data hosted at? (like can you physically access it yourself?)  I know that I can pull data from oracle with Tableau for reports, or at the least extract what I need from that DB and put it in a simple excel doc. That said, I hate tableau and building reports.   I just want to run them and get my data and not deal with the other stuff. 
    So far the data is sourced from a warehouse, but everything I have access too is tied to an enterprise reporting system.  Evidently they want to build structures in Tableau and have us source from there.
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Reason 10009 why certification and more importantly self improvement is a must.....  

Took this position primarily to build dashboards in tableau along with creating KPI's for sales reps etc.....   I've been relegated to a excel spreadsheet monkey......   

This is absolutely frustrating.  It's been a month and finally started to have some significant communication and now this......   Evidently it's going to be at least 6 months before the data is in tableau server and who knows if that delivery data is even accurate.  We all know how corporate projects go..   According the the boss the type of data I am reporting on isn't as critical as the other units......

So what would you do?  I'm scheduled for ~2 hour meeting with my boss and before we gear up and I am going to ask one more time just to be clear that the data I work with is going to be at least 6 months out if not longer.   Keep in mind when I interviewed for this position 50% of the questions maybe more were based around tableau......    I wouldn't of walked a way from a great paying position to munge excel sheets with pivot tables and look ups......
    This isn't your first rodeo so something went sideways interview-wise, just need to figure out if you didn't ask the right questions, didn't listen to the answers, were misled or were lied to. Or maybe everyone was clear and there was a change. I think figuring that out is important because otherwise you risk the same thing happening in the upcoming discussion.

You mention that 50% of the questions were based around Tableau. At any point did they say they were using Tableau? If not, were they clear that this was the direction they wanted to head, as opposed to already being there? Did anyone say anything that you know now is patently false? Were there any evasions to pointed questions?

You have just been handed a bushel of lemons, is there any way to make lemonade out of this? If Tableau is something you want more experience with, would having the data migration on your resume be attractive? Is that something you would want to work on and is it something your boss would let you assist with?
    So far the data is sourced from a warehouse, but everything I have access too is tied to an enterprise reporting system.  Evidently they want to build structures in Tableau and have us source from there.
    Blah.   So they literally put the cart before the horse in this situation.  They should have had that warehouse close to completion and ready to use before they opened up hiring for that role. I mean if you did have access to the Db's you needed you could at least do much of the design and what not today and then in 6 months or whatever just modify the tables and server it points at for the data. At least then you'd be bringing immediate value to them. 
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    edited January 2019
    HAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH   You'll love this.

Wants me to run reports and manually update 237 PPT's a month. 

You know how sometimes you need assurance to quit or there is that second guessing piece.  HA, not here slam dunk.

There is more as well but no need to say more.......

• shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    HALE YEAH!  they were like WTF, were they not?  
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Excel is the #1 business application on planet Earth. Those that have a true command and expertise in Excel are literally worth their weight in gold. After the person who signs the paychecks, the "Excel expert" is the most valuable person in any office. No time spent learning clever Excel tricks is wasted.
    HAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH   You'll love this.

Wants me to run reports and manually update 237 PPT's a month. 

You know how sometimes you need assurance to quit or there is that second guessing piece.  HA, not here slam dunk.

There is more as well but no need to say more.......

Sounds to me like they made your decision quite clear on your next step.   Someone will have to do the needful, but I'd suggest it not be you.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    lol good luck mate! Keep us posted
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE