Ordering of certificates on CV for IT Managerial positions

espana23espana23 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I have the following certifications: ITIL, CEH, VCP5 and CCNA. I am looking to advance my career and looking for IT Manager type of job opportunities. I want to put these certificates on my CV in an order from the most valuable to least valuable for the type of positions I am looking for. What do you guys think the best order would be in the eyes of recruiters?

Thank you.

-Mike

Comments

• stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It will depend on the job posting.  The order is great if you are going for a cyber related management position but moving the VCP or CCNA to the second position would be preferred for virtualization or network management positions.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Agree with Stryder

Just spit balling, I would go.....

ITIL and then rest would be whatever the position lend itself too.  NOC Manager, CCNA......   SOC Manager C|EH
  • espana23espana23 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That’s an interesting way of looking at it. In my case, the IT Manager positions I am going for are for small to medium size companies (25-100 ppl companies) where the IT Manager is responsible for everything IT related (together with his team). So in that case do you think the order matter (of course keeping the ITIL one always first)?
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    edited January 2019
    espana23 said:
    That’s an interesting way of looking at it. In my case, the IT Manager positions I am going for are for small to medium size companies (25-100 ppl companies) where the IT Manager is responsible for everything IT related (together with his team). So in that case do you think the order matter (of course keeping the ITIL one always first)?
    1 ITIL - I like this one first if they have any idea what it means......
    2 CCNA - I've seen this one move mountains I would keep it near the top
    2a VCP5
    3 C|EH
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For a manager of IT instead of a manager of people, I'd lead off with whatever the job seems to emphasize. For a manager of people, I'd lead with the ITIL and CEH.
  • espana23espana23 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    edited January 2019
    Thanks for the replies.

When i say IT Manager roles the responsibilities are usually managing a small team of people (4-8) but the IT Manager is expected to be hands on as well.  Would this change anything on the recommendations given so far?
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think you're overthinking it a little bit since it's only 4, but, it also depends on what your job duties are and what the job requires. All Cisco shop that is heavy into networking and you'll be managing network people, bump up the CCNA. Company is security focused and wants you to know that well, bump up another, etc. 

If you had a laundry list of certs i'd be more concerned with something getting lost behind meaningless ones. But 4 on a resume, shouldn't have a huge impact in any order. 
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,025 Admin
    You have so few certs, which makes them a very quick read, that alphabetical order is as good as any.