Asking for advice on changing my job

JonWill2JonWill2 Member Posts: 7 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone, 

I would be very grateful for any advice on me trying to make probably my last change of job.

I'm in my early 50's and  I've worked in IT all my working life.

I started out programming computer games in the mid 80's. after a few years I started working at a Computer brokers  and worked my way up to being engineering manager and became Compaq certified and having a  MCSE in NT4 after 12 years the company went broke

I started working repairing printers, photocopiers etc.. I've been doing this for nearly 20 years at different companies. but now I would like to go back if possible to some sort of IT support job, ideally hands on and not stuck at a desk answering calls at a help desk all day. In my current job it involves more than printers thou , I work with Comms equipment and other peripherals.

I've a broad range of IT skills, thou I'm not an expert in any. so I thought about doing some IT Certs, I've not done any for nearly 20 years. 

so I was thinking of  doing some of the following.. 

MS certification in Windows 10, Server 2016, Active Directory and Office 365

or

Cisco CCNA 

or 

Comptia Server+ , Security+ , Network+

or a combination of the above, I would have thought the CCNA would take the longest period to study and probably the hardest to pass, thou I do have a good general knowledge of IT ( became a MCSE in NT 4  in 1999 !)  I wouldn't be starting as a newbie.

anyone have any  thoughts or advice ?

Thanks 

Jon

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    It kind of depends on what really interests you and what jobs are available in your area.  You did not say if you are working now. What are you doing now?  
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • JonWill2JonWill2 Member Posts: 7 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the reply , yes i'm working now, mostly testing and repairing all types of printers, but I've had enough of that, thou when i'm not busy i get to work with other equipment
    I'm in large city in the Northwest of the UK. so there are a wide selection of job types.

I'm just wondering because of my age, I doubt anyone would take me on in some sort of junior role  :'( and would it be better for me to aim for some types or jobs and not others, where I could be wasting my time ?

• AvgITGeekAvgITGeek Member Posts: 342 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited January 2019
    I'd focus on getting some certs. That will get you past some screens and possibly an phone interview but how do you feel about the technical interview that will be sure to follow?

What you want to get into? PC support, Networking, Server administration?

EDIT: The certs you may want to look at are the MCSA/E, CCNA as you do have experience.
    I'd send out some resumes and see if you get any responses..
    AvgITGeek said:
    I'd focus on getting some certs. That will get you past some screens and possibly an phone interview but how do you feel about the technical interview that will be sure to follow?

What you want to get into? PC support, Networking, Server administration?

EDIT: The certs you may want to look at are the MCSA/E, CCNA as you do have experience.
    Thanks for your reply. 

a technical interview wouldn't bother me, I've been in IT all my working life, i go as far back as the original IBM PC  :)  so I  know a bit about most things

I did network essentials as part of the MCSE in NT4 in 1999 and I know a bit about networking because of the printer side, also I've tested and factory reset a lot of different Cisco, Juniper etc comms stuff. 

so I think it would make sense to go for the CCNA. 

I think any of those roles. PC support , Networking or Server Admin or even a bit of each would be ideal.

I'd send out some resumes and see if you get any responses..
    I applied for a couple of support jobs near me, but I got an agency phoning me, I missed the calls, (no mobiles where I work) i found out they were calling me about fixing photocopiers  :#

I think i'll either start CCNA or do a couple of MS certs and start looking again within 6 months.

again thanks for your reply

• AvgITGeekAvgITGeek Member Posts: 342 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited January 2019
    If you want to go the CCNA route, hit up the CCENT/CCNA forum here and if you have any questions, be sure to ask. Clean up your CV and send it out as @scaredoftests said but I'd also start look to validate your current knowledge or look to go deeper. CCNA goes way deeper than the NT 4.0 Networking Essentials exam ever did as it covers configuration of Cisco equipment.

Keep applying though.  It doesn't hurt.
    AvgITGeek said:
    If you want to go the CCNA route, hit up the CCENT/CCNA forum here and if you have any questions, be sure to ask. Clean up your CV and send it out as @scaredoftests said but I'd also start look to validate your current knowledge or look to go deeper. CCNA goes way deeper than the NT 4.0 Networking Essentials exam ever did as it covers configuration of Cisco equipment.

I think I will. I know the CCNA exams are not easy , I think you need 82.5% to pass?. but I've got a bit of interest in comms stuff from work and I've used CLI on some Cisco switches and routers.

are the Compita certs in demand ?, I've not seen many jobs requiring them. 

II've seen more jobs concerned with Active Directory and Office 365 

thanks again AvgITGeek

Keep applying though.  It doesn't hurt.
    your right, no it doesn't,  my stepson last year got a job in a small software company with virtually no IT experience and is now  learning SQL and C# 
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JonWill2 said:

are the Compita certs in demand ?, I've not seen many jobs requiring them. 

It depends. Unless you are open to moving, you should look at the job boards for UK jobs and work on certs that are in demand in your area. CompTIA certs are good in the US but not every area likes them the same, while the UK will have certs that aren't in as much demand in the US.
  • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Firstly, welcome to the forum! Good to see you here.

After reading your comments here, it seems to me you really would like to go for the CCNA ... so why not do it?

Chop it in half. Go for the CCENT (ICND1) first and see how it goes.

You've been in IT so long you probably have mad contacts and that can be a big advantage in the scheme of all of this.

I'm coming from a semi-similar background as you (yours is much better because of the possible contacts and "on paper" references), and I'm just a few years younger than you ... and this is exactly what I'm doing, going for my CCNA.

I think there are some things you could waste your time on. Not because someone will or will not hire you but because you (like I) have limited time to make all the moves, so they must be made very wisely so as to not waste any of our valuable time. That's another reason why I feel the CCNA is a good choice because of the potential "faster payback" the Cisco certs generally tend to provide.

So just do it... you know you want to. :D

Best of luck!
    Firstly, welcome to the forum! Good to see you here.

After reading your comments here, it seems to me you really would like to go for the CCNA ... so why not do it?

Chop it in half. Go for the CCENT (ICND1) first and see how it goes.

You've been in IT so long you probably have mad contacts and that can be a big advantage in the scheme of all of this.

I'm coming from a semi-similar background as you (yours is much better because of the possible contacts and "on paper" references), and I'm just a few years younger than you ... and this is exactly what I'm doing, going for my CCNA.

I think there are some things you could waste your time on. Not because someone will or will not hire you but because you (like I) have limited time to make all the moves, so they must be made very wisely so as to not waste any of our valuable time. That's another reason why I feel the CCNA is a good choice because of the potential "faster payback" the Cisco certs generally tend to provide.

So just do it... you know you want to. :D

Best of luck!
    Thanks for the reply 

yes your right, it would make sense to take it in 2 parts

your right about time, something i can't waste any more.

good luck with your studying and in the future

Thanks again 
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Never under estimate the power of a certification.  I don't think I would get "CERTS" but maybe look for one CERT and see if it aligns with your previous experience and where you want to head.  Without an objective it's impossible to provide any solid advice and/or come up with a sound strategy.  

If the CCNA is too daunting to start, maybe bang out the CCENT or MCSA (Infrastructure) and see about getting a system administration position and grow from there.  Just an idea.....
  • Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't let age hold you back. Many employers value the wealth of experience folks like yourself have.
    As suggested by @EANx , check out jobs currently advertised in your region then decide which certs are worth going for.

If you are after a support role, I reckon starting on the Microsoft path given your experience working with Microsoft. Plus many organisations have Microsoft technologies in one form or another.
  • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    JonWill2 said:
    Thanks for the reply 

yes your right, it would make sense to take it in 2 parts

your right about time, something i can't waste any more.

good luck with your studying and in the future

Thanks again 

No problem... thank you!