ITIL v3 or v4

SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
Hi,

If I want to do a sprint and write the ITIL cert in the next 2 month... should I go to ITIL v3 or v4

Comments

• Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    ITIL 4 training is released on Feb 11th so it's probably worth waiting until then - that way you've got the latest certification. 

We've developed an interactive tool to help people decide what to do based on their current level of ITIL certification, available here: https://itsm.zone/itil4-signup/
  • Legrove1101Legrove1101 Member Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    edited January 2019
    I had the same dilemma... I have opted to wait until 4 is released.  Having searched the internet for training providers, I have pre-ordered the online course.  I opted for an online course that came recommended to me. I have already seen a sample of their courses and quite frankly the best I have seen. Another reason was cost, their prices are the best on the market. It was a ‘no brainer’ really.  The company I have chosen to use is       www.itsmassist.com 
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks I will look at it.

If I would like to self-study with a book.. how long can I expect updated book?
  • Legrove1101Legrove1101 Member Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don’t think there are any books for ITIL 4 yet.  I read an article recently and they were saying the books are not out until back end on 2019.  I’m not really sure but for me I know it would take longer, I would rather have a ‘teacher’ which is what the online is which I have ordered.  Because I pre-ordered I saved £120, which all helps so I paid £224 for the course Plus the Exam.  Good luck with studying whatever you choose.
    Hi SteveLavoie, I'm working on updated versions of my study guides now (the condensed version and the more in-depth version), the expected publication date is March/April 2019. kind regards Claire
    Thanks @Claire Agutter, I will wait until spring. I will do another certification meanwhile. 
    I will crack on with it and report back with more info as the publication progresses  :)
    @Claire Agutter   Will it be an update on:

ITIL Lifecycle Essential and ITIL Foundation Essential ?
    Both! I'm starting with Foundation Essentials and then I'll do the larger book.
  • Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ITIL 4 training is released on Feb 11th so it's probably worth waiting until then - that way you've got the latest certification. 

We've developed an interactive tool to help people decide what to do based on their current level of ITIL certification, available here: https://itsm.zone/itil4-signup/
    Hi Claire

Thank you but would you know when the ITIL V3 will be phased out - i mean when will be the last exam date for this course 

Thanks
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
    Hi Dr IT - we're being told not for a while yet. The higher level ITIL 4 certifications aren't going to be available until the end of 2019, and the first course will focus on V3 to ITIL 4 bridging (ITIL Expert to ITIL Managing Professional). I would expect v3 to be available until at least the end of 2019. Claire
  • DH44MAG2DH44MAG2 Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi All, I have heard that ITIL v3 will be sunsetted mid-2020. If I get an opportunity to verify that, I will post back here.
    As I was reading down through the posts, I forgot what I was originally going to post - oops :)

Due to the drawn out release of ITIL 4, if you are going to "fast track" your journey through the certifications, go for ITIL v3 and bridge to Managing Professional when the bridge becomes available. If all you are interested in is Foundation for now, go with ITIL4.

For those who are lookig for an ITIL 4 book, I just checked the Axelos site and they have the ITIL Foundation Guide (ITIL 4 Edition) for sale

(www.axelos.com/store/book/itil-foundation-itil-4-edition)

It is not published yet (publish date is Feb 18th), but it is available to order.

DH44MAG2 said:
    Hi All, I have heard that ITIL v3 will be sunsetted mid-2020. If I get an opportunity to verify that, I will post back here.

Me again, I have been checking around and I am unable to corroborate the mid-2020 date for the sunsetting of ITIL v3, so chalk that up to rumor and please disregard my post.