CIPP/E Advice

Comments

• bearcatbearcat Member Posts: 5 ■■□□□□□□□□
    anniehgg said:
    I passed the CIPP/E exam on Friday with a score of 62/67/91.  It was my third attempt.  My first attempt was 55/51/56 and my second attempt was 37/65/83.  

I passed the CIPM exam in April 2018 on the second attempt.  On my first attempt, I thought there was no way I could fail because I did so well on the practice exam.  THE PRACTICE EXAM IS SO MUCH EASIER THAN THE ACTUAL EXAM.  With this is mind, I paid little attention to the CIPP/E practice exam and primarily focused on the book.  What helped me was creating use case examples for each part of the GDPR.  The first domain doesn't matter too much and neither does the third. 

I'm a marketing manager at a privacy tech company and I've only been in this field for 10 months, but this test is HARD.  There's no shame in taking it multiple times.  I have some really good exam outlines so let me know if you want me to share! 

Good luck everyone! 
    A lot of ppl have been saying the practice exam questions are easier/not representative of the actual exam questions. Can you expand on the difference?
  • anniehgganniehgg Member Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    bearcat said:
    A lot of ppl have been saying the practice exam questions are easier/not representative of the actual exam questions. Can you expand on the difference?
    In my opinion, the actual exam questions are more vague and 75% of the possible answer choices are technically correct but one is just slightly more correct.  On the practice exam, there's more likely to be a clear answer and there's less trickery involved.  
    anniehgg said:
    bearcat said:
    In my opinion, the actual exam questions are more vague and 75% of the possible answer choices are technically correct but one is just slightly more correct.  On the practice exam, there's more likely to be a clear answer and there's less trickery involved.  
    thank you! I'm set to take the exam on january 11th and i'm getting nervous about the best way to study/what details i should remember for the questions that are gonna be asked. it's hard given how little information about the test is out there.
  • gdprstudentgdprstudent Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just took the CIPP/e and failed with 77/62/66, which averages at 68% (and with a score of 295). The blueprint states pass rates vary from 65%-80% and scores range from 0-500 (but 300 doesn't mean 50%!)

Looking back through some of the comments on this thread it definitely looks like Domain 2 is the key section to learn (although it is shocking how you can pass by just scoring 16% in Domain 1!) 
    Hi I retook this exam this morning and passed with the following scores 89/61/75. Strange - as I thought that section 2 was what failed me last time but I scored 1 point less in this section this time round yet that’s the area I studied in greater detail between the last test and this... anyway, I’m not complaining but would advise going through the whole book again and again and making sure you’re aware well familiarised with the official text and WP29 notes. Best of luck!
  • DPO_LondonDPO_London Member Posts: 10 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just took the CIPP/e and failed with 77/62/66, which averages at 68% (and with a score of 295). The blueprint states pass rates vary from 65%-80% and scores range from 0-500 (but 300 doesn't mean 50%!)

Looking back through some of the comments on this thread it definitely looks like Domain 2 is the key section to learn (although it is shocking how you can pass by just scoring 16% in Domain 1!) 
    Hi I retook this exam this morning and passed with the following scores 89/61/75. Strange - as I thought that section 2 was what failed me last time but I scored 1 point less in this section this time round yet that’s the area I studied in greater detail between the last test and this... anyway, I’m not complaining but would advise going through the whole book again and again and making sure you’re aware well familiarised with the official text and WP29 notes. Best of luck!
    Thanks so much for the update gdprstudent. That is very strange indeed.. But congrats all the same!! 
  • seesoseeso Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi. Took my exam yesterday foolishly without any prep. I completely underestimated it after attending a 2 day CIPP/E training course. It was a lot more detailed than I expected.
    Wish I had found this forum before I booked the exam! Anyway I have to wait a month now but at least I have a good idea of what to expect. 

My result was 25/64/75 - FAIL
  • kes711kes711 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I passed the CIPP/E today with 78/80/75. It was really challenging! I did the course, read the book/took notes, made an outline based off of the notes, read some of the WP29 opinions, and studied flashcards on Quizlet. I didn't put as much time into studying for this one as I did the CIPP/US exam that I passed with much more room to spare. However, I wouldn't under estimate this one - especially if you aren't living/working in Europe and/or are new-ish to the privacy space. 
  • DPO_LondonDPO_London Member Posts: 10 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kes711 said:
    I passed the CIPP/E today with 78/80/75. It was really challenging! I did the course, read the book/took notes, made an outline based off of the notes, read some of the WP29 opinions, and studied flashcards on Quizlet. I didn't put as much time into studying for this one as I did the CIPP/US exam that I passed with much more room to spare. However, I wouldn't under estimate this one - especially if you aren't living/working in Europe and/or are new-ish to the privacy space. 

Thanks, mate - what part of your study was most helpful and least helpful if you could guess? 
  • MariaRELMariaREL Member Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi bearcat, congrats!would it be possible for you to share outlines and practice tests please?
  • kes711kes711 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The course was probably the least helpful, the book and the WP29 opinions were the most helpful. It was also helpful to have the first 50 articles of the GDPR 'memorized' which is where Quizlet came in handy. Like others have said, look at the where most questions are coming from, and start there. 
    senwar said:
    Managed to get an answer from the IAPP to my questions

Basically I was 4 off passing in Domain 2. I could have scored 100% in 1 & 3 but still failed as only scored 34 out of 57 in Domain 2. At least I know now and need to focus on getting more right in that domain
    Hey senwar, I was wondering how you were able to get IAPP to tell you how far off you were from passing. I failed with a 38/71/75, and it seems like I was somewhat close based on what your friend passed with (33/71/83). I've been trying to get a hold of them to see how far off I was but to no avail. Would appreciate any help. Thanks! 
    MariaREL said:
    Hi bearcat, congrats!would it be possible for you to share outlines and practice tests please?
    Hey MariaREL! I actually didn't pass, failed with a 38/71/75, but I used to 2 outlines posted earlier in this thread. The site isn't letting me post the links, says I need to be on longer, but they're on page 1 of this thread by lizette1121622 (last post on the page) and on page 3 by soltiske.

Good luck!
  • senwarsenwar Member Posts: 19 ■■□□□□□□□□
    bearcat said:
    senwar said:
    Managed to get an answer from the IAPP to my questions

Basically I was 4 off passing in Domain 2. I could have scored 100% in 1 & 3 but still failed as only scored 34 out of 57 in Domain 2. At least I know now and need to focus on getting more right in that domain
    Hey senwar, I was wondering how you were able to get IAPP to tell you how far off you were from passing. I failed with a 38/71/75, and it seems like I was somewhat close based on what your friend passed with (33/71/83). I've been trying to get a hold of them to see how far off I was but to no avail. Would appreciate any help. Thanks! 
    Hi bearcat - replied to your PM. Apologies for any delay
  • AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    soltiske said:
    Here's a dropbox link to my 50 page outline! Please ignore the really silly typos I found while I was studying: I wanted to get this out to you all sooner rather than later. https://www.dropbox.com/s/m9z288rgb4q17iw/CIPP%20E%20Outline.docx?dl=0

This is my first time trying to share a document publicly on DropBox, so please let me know if it worked (or alternatively if I shared more than just the CIPP/E outline document)!

Just something to keep in mind, even with two outlines available on this thread, a lot of the studying benefit comes from making the outline rather than reading it over. If you're going to use mine or the other outline to study, I recommend at least printing it off and making your own notes on it/engaging with it, if not using it to create your own even smaller, more condensed outline from the ones available.

Hello @soltiske I wanted to thank you for this file.  I did use it, and it was helpful.  I passed my CIPP/E on Monday.  
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • MariaRELMariaREL Member Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you so much for sharing and for all the advices, i will take them all into account.
  • lisssalisssa Member Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone! I don't have experience with GDPR, but i am interested in CIPP/E.
    Do you think if i study hard the textbook European data protection Law and Practice i would and the GDPR itself i can pass the test?
    What kind of advice would you give me?
    lisssa said:
    Hi everyone! I don't have experience with GDPR, but i am interested in CIPP/E.
    Do you think if i study hard the textbook European data protection Law and Practice i would and the GDPR itself i can pass the test?
    What kind of advice would you give me?
    Read lots of GDPR stuff and learn it backwards and forwards. And if you think the law is minor... It's on the test. As is all the government bodies.

Good luck!
    Ashenwelt
  • vjvjvjvj Member Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    anniehgg said:
    I passed the CIPP/E exam on Friday with a score of 62/67/91.  It was my third attempt.  My first attempt was 55/51/56 and my second attempt was 37/65/83.  

I passed the CIPM exam in April 2018 on the second attempt.  On my first attempt, I thought there was no way I could fail because I did so well on the practice exam.  THE PRACTICE EXAM IS SO MUCH EASIER THAN THE ACTUAL EXAM.  With this is mind, I paid little attention to the CIPP/E practice exam and primarily focused on the book.  What helped me was creating use case examples for each part of the GDPR.  The first domain doesn't matter too much and neither does the third. 

I'm a marketing manager at a privacy tech company and I've only been in this field for 10 months, but this test is HARD.  There's no shame in taking it multiple times.  I have some really good exam outlines so let me know if you want me to share! 

Good luck everyone! 
    please share your outlines
  • AlwaysStudyingAlwaysStudying Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sharing is caring...... :)
  • Brahim1984Brahim1984 Member Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
    edited February 2019
    Hi all,
    this is a very good site for ideas tips and tricks. I ended up here looking for insights on how to prepare for the CIPP/E exam and thank you al of the info.

i wanted to share with you the website of the EC’s library. The European Commissim has a handbook on European data protection law which is an amazing reference book. I will definitely study that book as it has a nice overview of relevant statutory references BUT also case law and judgements. For those who want to have look; here’s just google “handbook on european data protection law 2018 edition”  (you can find other publications as well - free pdf download).

wish me luck y’all.

B.
  • scassiorochascassiorocha Member Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello everyone,
    All this discussion is really helpful. I'll begin my preparation to CIPP-E. 
    I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but I didn't find the IAPP Couse textbook to buy. Is the texbook comprised of some of the books available in IAPP store?
    Can someone please tell me what are the books that form the IAPP Course textbook?
    Thank you!
    Hello everyone,
    All this discussion is really helpful. I'll begin my preparation to CIPP-E. 
    I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but I didn't find the IAPP Couse textbook to buy. Is the texbook comprised of some of the books available in IAPP store?
    Can someone please tell me what are the books that form the IAPP Course textbook?
    Thank you!
    Hi
    I have a copy of the IAPP Course textbook and the official course book by Eduardo Ustaran :European Data Protection: Law and Practice-I'm selling both together for a great price
    PM me, if interested.

• scassiorochascassiorocha Member Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□

Hi
    I have a copy of the IAPP Course textbook and the official course book by European Data Protection: Law and Practice-I'm selling both together for a great price
    PM me, if interested.

Hello, I sent you a PM but can you tell me what is the course textbook in IAPP store?
    what is the course textbook in IAPP store?=  European Data Protection: Law and Practice by Eduardo Ustaran
    No, you will pay a reduced price for re-take, circa $300, check IAPP for exact amount.
    Hey as a reminder to everyone because you have to message and ask them for it... if you have any IAPP cert in good standing and are a member, additional cert tests are $375 for new tests. I had to message support to get the price but it is publicized. 
    Ashenwelt
  • AD12345AD12345 Member Posts: 16 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You shouldn't need to message them and ask for the discount. I have my CIPP/US and purchased the CIPM and CIPP/E, both were discounted automatically when I added them to the cart.
    AD12345 said:
    You shouldn't need to message them and ask for the discount. I have my CIPP/US and purchased the CIPM and CIPP/E, both were discounted automatically when I added them to the cart.
    Mine didn't.  It was kind of irritating lol.  But people do need to know.  How was the CIPP/US?
    Ashenwelt
  • AD12345AD12345 Member Posts: 16 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ashenwelt said:
    AD12345 said:
    Mine didn't.  It was kind of irritating lol.  But people do need to know.  How was the CIPP/US?
    I passed but barely. All depends your background, I have more of a security background so I knew a few of the laws (GLBA, HIPAA, SOX), but was not familiar with the vast majority of the laws in the book. I have repeatedly heard "master the minutiae", this wasn't my experience. There are a number of laws (all of the ones in the book) they want you to actually understand and apply, not just memorize. Think in the terms of Bloom's Taxonomy, many exams just have level 1 & 2 questions, but this exam had mostly level 2 & 3 questions (in my experience). Even with going through the book a couple of times and numerous external resources, there were still a few questions I had no idea about (though they could have been the unscored question, 15 out of the 90 questions are unscored "test" questions). Regardless, I recommend it to everyone as I see the US moving towards more of a comprehensive privacy model over the next decade (what Europe has now, the US currently has a sectoral model).