Options

Working for a 'controversial' company.

PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
edited January 2019 in IT Jobs / Degrees
My question is, not 'Would you'? It's 'Would working for say, a gambling, tobacco, firearms etc company harm my job chances in the future?' For instance, if I wanted to work for a super-progressive multinational or a healthcare company? I'm particularly interested in hearing from hiring managers. 

Thanks.
Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
Working on - RHCE

Comments

• Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Not a hiring manager, but the first question I was asked is if I mind working for a company who's parent company is a major tobacco company. It wasn't a big deal to me. Some of the people that have left have gone onto some other great positions in government, Microsoft, Amazon... 

• Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I worked for a payday lender prior to my current job.  While I don't like that line of business, I needed a good paying job that actually invested in tech and let me grow.  Of course I left the first moment I found a much better role elsewhere.  
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    edited January 2019
    Any chance you are the guy who posted today on Reddit?
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you were asking about me, not in regards to work.
  • Options
    BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't think it would matter in most circumstances.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    edited January 2019
    Sorry, I meant OP. Someone posted it ITCareerQuestions about working for a pron company.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    As a hiring manager myself, I would only "red flag" candidates who worked for a competitor or a business partner of my employer. This would be in concern of a potential business ethics conflict and not from a morals conflict.

A morals conflict is usually an emotional issue (with the hiring manager) that will keep you from getting an initial interview. You'll never know that XYZ company didn't call you in for a 1st-round interview because you worked for a company that, for example, made/sold Ivanka Trump handbags.

In fact, any hiring manager can dislike anything about you no matter how trivial. You could work for Coca Cola and not get an interview because the hiring manager prefers Pepsi Cola. It could really be that trivial. (Ask people who went to USC what they think of UCLA and vice versa.)

If, while you are interviewing, you discover that your potential boss has such irrational proclivities, that should a reason for you to not pursue that job position any farther than you have. Consider this foreknowledge a gift from the universe and look for a more sane place to work.
  • Options
    MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Let's hope not! The thought of that is cringe-worthy.

That said though, some people will be unreasonable for all types of reasons. Personally, I would jet like a bat out of hell if something like that started up during an interview. (Internally I would be jetting. Externally I would be politely excusing myself.)

But similar to what JDMurray said, I will say yes, that person probably wouldn't call you in for an interview in the first place...

Which is a good thing! Working in places where people are so close-minded usually ends up to be a complete form of misery.