Thoughts on options with workplace closing down

Azt7Azt7 Member Posts: 121 ■■■■□□□□□□
edited January 2019 in IT Jobs / Degrees
My current workplace has been doing bad financially over the last few months but the last 2 weeks have been quite depressing in terms of unneccessary drama and financial constraints. 

At this point, I'm giving them anywhere between 2 weeks and 3 months. I want to get out of there before it officially closes and my dilemma is about what do I do next as I have 2 options : 
  • Option 1 : Look for the best available job while things are dying slowly which to me represent an important risk
  • Option 2 : Go to a smaller but growing company (about 10 employees now) where I do have contacts
My dilemma with option 2 is that I do not necessarily see myself there on the long term because the service offering is quite small compared to what I'm actually looking. It just happens to be my best card at the moment. 

The good thing is that overall, it aligns with my career goals in terms of the type of position I'm looking for in the future but the technologies aren't necessarily the best fit for me.

So my plan is to see how things are going this week while I start talking to my potential next place. 

Any thoughts on this situation ? What would you do ?
Certifications : ITIL, MCSA Office 365, MCSE Productivity, AWS CSAA, Azure Architect, CCSK, TOGAF
Studying for :  TBD

Comments

• shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited January 2019
    I would take the option 2, unless you rather take unemployment benefits & search for that career job you are inspiring to find....Once you get cut at the current position, will they have a severance package once they shut?  You don't really know how option 2 will work out until you get there, right?  
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    edited January 2019
    If option 2 aligns with your career goals then it's the better choice. Take that position, and keep pursuing knowledge and maybe certs in that area and then in 2 years you should be in a prime position to make a big move onward and upward. 
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Azt7Azt7 Member Posts: 121 ■■■■□□□□□□
    shochan said:
    I would take the option 2, unless you rather take unemployment benefits & find that career job you are inspiring to find....Once you get cut at the current position, will they have a severance package once they shut?  You don't really know how option 2 will work out until you get there, right?  
    No severance package, ideally I do not want to go on unemployment. I guess I won't know until I try !

JoJoCal19 said:
    If option 2 aligns with your career goals then it's the better choice. Take that position, and keep pursuing knowledge and maybe certs in that area and then in 2 years you should be in a prime position to make a big move onward and upward. 

I'm hesitant because I do not want to be seen as a job hopper. I've been at my current job for just under 3 years and I feel that 2 years as you say is a good time before moving on. 

I will get the ball rolling this week and see how things turn out.
    Certifications : ITIL, MCSA Office 365, MCSE Productivity, AWS CSAA, Azure Architect, CCSK, TOGAF
  • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would take option 1 and save option 2 as a fallback, unless option 2 has some type of time-limit in place.

In that case, I would probably still take option 1 because I wouldn't want to burn any bridges re contacts (since you said you had no intention of staying there longterm).
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited January 2019
    Sometime smaller growing company are a good bet if you believe in the company and the board of direction.  16 years ago, I joined a 35 employee VAR as the new personal sales guys then moved to IT technician, to network/system administrator then now Profesionnal Service director/IT architect and shareholder of a 70 employee and still growing... I bet that in 5 years, we will be 100 employees.

So don't rule out the smaller company. 

I would take option 1 and save option 2 as a fallback, unless option 2 has some type of time-limit in place.

In that case, I would probably still take option 1 because I wouldn't want to burn any bridges re contacts (since you said you had no intention of staying there longterm).
    Yes, I'm doing a little bit of both. Taking my time in the research while starting the conversation with option 2 as sometime those things takes some time. 

At the very least for option 2, I'll know if it's just lip service or if they are really ready to move forward. 

Sometime smaller growing company are a good bet if you believe in the company and the board of direction.  16 years ago, I joined a 35 employee VAR as the new personal sales guys then moved to IT technician, to network/system administrator then now Professional Service director/IT architect and shareholder of a 70 employee and still growing... I bet that in 5 years, we will be 100 employees.

Yes, it is definitely the way to go for now. 
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sometime smaller growing company are a good bet if you believe in the company and the board of direction.  16 years ago, I joined a 35 employee VAR as the new personal sales guys then moved to IT technician, to network/system administrator then now Profesionnal Service director/IT architect and shareholder of a 70 employee and still growing... I bet that in 5 years, we will be 100 employees.

This is best care scenario for me, big if in regards to believing in the company but if you can hit this right it's perfect.
    edited January 2019
    This is best care scenario for me, big if in regards to believing in the company but if you can hit this right it's perfect.
    It is definitely the best case scenario, hopefully all the recruitment process will go smoothly ! 

Good luck to you too !