Options

Do any of you maintain your lower certifications once you pass higher level certs?

robotdeliveryrobotdelivery Registered Users Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
I now find myself paying annual fees to (ISC)2, ISACA, EC-Council, and CompTIA. I plan to maintain my CRISC, CISSP and my CEH, but I am considering dropping my CompTIA certs (e.g. Sec+, Net+, Linux+, Project+) and my (ISC)2 SSCP.

Is there really any use to maintaining lower level certs once higher level certs have been attained?

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I usually let my lower certs expire but now that I am adjuncting I may need to retake some exams that I let expire. Other than this, I have no reason to keep them alive.
  • Options
    robotdeliveryrobotdelivery Registered Users Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No employer has ever asked if my certs are still valid. If they are on my CV, then it's good enough for them and me. I understand wanting to keep high-level certs valid, but I wouldn't worry about CompTIA too much.
    This makes sense to me and I think this is how a lot of IT guys handle their certs. I know many who casually throw A+ at the end of their cert list but I know there is no way they are maintaining that. I appreciate the insight. 
  • Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you maintain CISSP,  you are almost sure to retain SSCP depending on the training followed. There is a lot of overlap between those. You will have both annual fee to pay, but usually it can put on your expense report. 
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Honestly, yes I do.  Since my higher level certs usually update my lower ones, I just make sure that I share my certs (Cisco with CompTIA, for instance).  Not all that hard to do for me.  If I had CISSP, I would share it with CompTIA and it would help renew my CASP>CySA+>Security+>Network+>A+.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I never renew anything..I move on to the next cert...no one asks if my certs are active or up to date...
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've been keeping everything up to date that only requires CPEs and annual maintenance fees which I can expense to my employer. Any cert which requires taking more exams has expired. 
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If I ever let them expire, I’ll probably just put an “Expired Certs” section on my resume.
  • Options
    COBOL_DOS_ERACOBOL_DOS_ERA Member Posts: 205 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have maintained some and let go off some to heavens.
    CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, PMP, PMI-ACP, SEC+, ITIL V3, A-CSM. And Many More.
  • Options
    soooowutnowsoooowutnow Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I let my A+, Security+, and CCNA expire.  I figure if I need to fall back on them I am going backwards.  I will guard Cloud+ and CRISC with my life for now lol.
    2018 Achievements:
    Cloud Essentials SME
    Project+
    CRISC

2019 To conquer:
    Maybe CGEIT? I don't know - help!
  • Options
    ansionnachclisteansionnachcliste Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited December 2018
    I worked damn hard for the "lower level" security certificates that I have achieved, so I will keep them for as long as possible.

What's also important for me is to inspire new comers into the industry.
    If a newbie sees a CISSP who maintains their Security+, I want to show them that there is still value in the certificate and achievement and that I can still talk to them at that level and am not beyond that.

I'm very proud of who I was and the ambitions I had when I started off in the security realm.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    I eventually let my SSCP expire years after I got my CISSP. I realized that the only cert I had that was beneficial for me to maintain for my career was my CISSP. I wish there was a maintenance requirement to re-take the CISSP exam every ten years (at a generous alumni discount, of course).
  • Options
    ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Im now trying to keep all my certs. I want to eventually teach technology starting small at a community college and most colleges in my area require there instructors to teach basic level cert exams.  Also not to hate or piss anyone off but if your cert is expired you should take it off your CV/Resume it can potentially bite you in the bum. My current position checked all of my certs. And i know if I would have lied i wouldn't have gotten the job.
    Also I let my Security+ expire after I got CISSP and i kinda miss it lol
    I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

• Options
    c5rookiec5rookie Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As an instructor, I have to maintain the cert in order to meet the requirements to teach the class.  I had to create a spreadsheet to help me keep track of everything.  Thankfully the continuing education credits seem to cascade through CompTIA, so the credits I earn for CISSP and SANS are all I worry about.  The pain is keeping track of all the fees.  I think spend about $400 a year on renewal fees.  I'm still on the fence if I like Cisco's philosphy of requiring people to take an exam every three years.  You don't have to submit CPEs, but you get to study and cram for a couple months so you have enough knowledge to pass the portions of the exam you don't touch on a daily basis.
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For compTia they can be renew by higher certs. Just pay the renewal fee. There is no need to retake them. 
  • Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I like to renew my certs using CPE... it prove that you study and keep current. Also it enable to spread your study/renewal on a longer term.

I was lucky enough to get my A+, Network+, Linux+ during the time it was lifetime. I am not 100% sure that I would have maintained them. 

Since 2008, I renewed my VCP almost every 2 years. Until 2014 (or so), you had 6 month after the new release to redo the exam if you didnt want to have to pay for the course, then they changed for renewal every 2 years. Now VMware changed its mind again so now no need to renew.. you do it at your leasure.  So, since 2008, I did the exam 6 times,  for version 3.5, 4, 5,  5.5, 6, 6.5.

• Options
    kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Lower level Comptia certs will stay active if you associate your Comptia account with ISACA, ISC, Microsoft, Cisco and other accounts that have higher level certs. All you have to do is pay the maintenance fees.  
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!