Cybersecurity w/out Networking Background

mizterkewlmizterkewl Member Posts: 122 ■■■■□□□□□□
I know that networking is involved with security and say you have certs and/or a degree to back your interest. Do you think it's possible to land a job in security (ie an Analyst or IA) without any work background in networking?

Comments

• tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I did, but I started as a technical writer in a security program and eventually moved into program management, incident handling, security awareness, policy/procedures, governance, and application testing. Of course, I've been learning/training every chance I get. I will say that not having the networking background is a bit of a disadvantage. I'd say to apply for jobs, even if you don't think you're qualified. And then in the meantime, take some networking courses. Build and document and great home network. Also, find some good online networking simulations that you can practice on. If you get an interview and they ask about networking, you can show them what you've done at home. That counts as experience.
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Plenty of people start on the compliance/auditing side without certs or background in networking.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Let us not forget all security people with the word "Manager" or "Architect" in their title that can't work a piece of tech to save their lives.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    JDMurray said:
    Let us not forget all security people with the word "Manager" or "Architect" in their title that can't work a piece of tech to save their lives.
    I can confirm. I have "Manager" in my title and I try to avoid tech in and out of work :D
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JDMurray said:
    Yep, for lots of them it's in no way part  of their job to setup gear anymore. 

Anyway, yes it's possible, I've hired people without a strict networking background who knew basics and understood enough. In this field it's a balance of lots of areas for many jobs, so if you find someone that is a culture fit, who knows some of the things you want it's unusual enough, the rest of the things can be taught. 
  • kellyjd83kellyjd83 Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As long as you have the basics, ie know the OSI, know what services / applications run at each level, the port numbers associated with those and know the difference between a router, switch, hub, firewall, utm, IDS, IPS it should be enough. If you need a refresher I'd advise downloading Packet tracer and just get to grips with some of the objects. take a look at Professor Messers Network+ videos on youtube.
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have had plenty of colleagues within my security organizations that lacked networking experience. I feel a lot of them suck, but it is still possible to land the job lol jk
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Personally, I prefer security people with a software engineering background. I usually care less if they have a network background. It all depends on the type of security roles.