Do you have a set number of months before you make a determination about a job?

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
edited February 2019 in IT Jobs / Degrees
EG - If you take a position do you hold yourself to a set amount of time before you make a determination if it's going to work out for yourself?  Just curious.  I usually reserve about 3 months and upon the completion of that I start to form a strategy to exit.  (Assuming it's not working out).  I have had it go both ways where the job was awesome the first 3 months then it turned into a turd and vice versa where it was horrible at first and then I grew into it.   

Do you have a rule of thumb you go by?  I know some who had the idea of looking for another job and they would rather stay in a horrible job than apply again.   
Just curious about the view point of the forum.  

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I give it a year.  However, I start sending out resumes at 6 months...
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I can usually tell (now) what the situation is going to be somewhere between 10-12 weeks. In all honesty it's a lot sooner, but I give it until then to have a firm focus and grasp on it.

It doesn't usually make that much of a difference since as soon as I get one position I'm already planning where I want to go next, so unless it was an extremely bad situation, I would give it until at least the 6 month mark.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I've always said a year, but 6 months is the minimum. Following that has proved itself out time and time again, especially with my current position.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    At least two months for an employee to determine if a new job is a bad situation, and at least three weeks for a manager to determine if hiring a new employee was a mistake.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm in month 3 and I am LOOKING.   B)

3 interviews next week, total bull market in these parts.
    Observing what you had to say about that position over the past couple of months, it's understandable.

We do what we have to do.

Best of luck.
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I try to give it a year unless the job starts asking me to do shady/illegal things at which point I’ll start looking immediately.  I agree with @scaredoftests to start looking before the one yeat mark.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Honeymoon period for me is 3-6 months. but I never quit before a year..
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

edited February 2019
    UnixGuy said:
    I used to think that way until I started to gain some years.   Time can't be replaced and staying in a role to stay because of some corporate sentiment is idiotic, imo.  With that said I would agree in MOST situations that would be correct, but if you were to take a position and it turned out to be help desk would you stay in it for a year?  I would hope not......
    Just a heads up, having the short term recent job hasn't effected me at all.  It's actually helped, it's given me a chance to show the interviewer what I am looking for.  I bring it up immediately and explain in a concerned yet relaxed manor and gain a chuckle or a "that's terrible" and we continue to roll along.  

IMO having a short term job on your resume "killing" your chance of getting another job is a urban legend.  
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited February 2019
    I don't really have a formula, but these are decent guidelines for me.

I give it a good 6 months for what I'm doing. When I get someone new or am someone new in IT, I honestly don't expect to be adding much value until about 6 months in. It just takes that long to get someone going, meet others, form some interpersonal relationships, get the day-to-day tasks understood, and the environment understood. That's not to say one isn't doing work, but it often takes that long to get a solid lay of the land and work oneself into projects and doing the meatier work.

If things are positive after 6 months, great! If not, time to look at options and bring up any issues with my leadership.

If things aren't working out, I tend to go as long as 12 months total before moving on. That often means a ~6 month grace period for leadership to address my concerns. If still not addressed, it won't be a surprise when I jump.

Don't be afraid of short duration jobs on your resume. Life is short, and you shouldn't waste it at a job that is bringing you down. If it is not working out and you have another option, take that option.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
    edited February 2019
    Just spoke to my boss and formalized the resignation.  It went extremely well.  

I think the taboo piece of quitting is self imposed and quite honestly poor logic.  He told me if at any time I want to come back they will make a spot for me.  I thanked him and we went our seperate ways.  I did indicate that later on I would be more than glad to 1099 on certain projects and he agreed it was a brilliant idea.  

My advice is always be honest and remember time is finite.   Forge relationships they will bring back large returns.  
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    UnixGuy said:
    I used to think that way until I started to gain some years.   Time can't be replaced and staying in a role to stay because of some corporate sentiment is idiotic, imo.  With that said I would agree in MOST situations that would be correct, but if you were to take a position and it turned out to be help desk would you stay in it for a year?  I would hope not......
    you got a point mate. I haven't been in a situation where I needed to move urgently, there was always positives. It also took me time to find something better on to because I didn't wanna move to a similar position and be stuck again
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• BordersanBordersan Member Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    edited February 2019
    I need a good job

Bordersan said:
    I need a good job

You'll need to put the gun down. :D
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I generally try to stick around at least a year, but if it isn't a fit, and I know it, I'll go ahead and start looking at other options when I make that determination.
    MrAgent said:
    I generally try to stick around at least a year, but if it isn't a fit, and I know it, I'll go ahead and start looking at other options when I make that determination.
    MrAgent just curious have you had to do this before?  
  • Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I give it at least a year before actually moving. Exit strategy is usually decided after six months.