Options

I just purchased Mike Meyer's 901/902 video courses on Udemy. Should I purchase his book as well?

dammetsdammets Member Posts: 8 ■■□□□□□□□□
I think I read that the videos are meant to be watched while simultaneously reading his all-in-one book but I'm looking for confirmation. What's recommended?

Comments

• Options
    SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yes. I always recommend getting a book with your cert studies. The books will have more details not mentioned in videos. This is especially true if you're new to the subject matter. Combination of books, videos and labs (if necessary) is always recommended.
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
    Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
    Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise
  • Options
    MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you already bought his videos then it would make sense you would choose to use his book but just know there are other A+ books out there.

Meyers is somewhat of the A+ guru though. He's been writing A+ books for years and most people do select to use his books.

Just try to have as many varied resources as possible as there are gaps in every form but when all combined together you will have a more complete picture of the information.

Professor Messer has some really good vids for A+ on YouTube. I suggest you check them out.

Again ... varied resources are the key.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Personally I think you should always read a book when preparing for a certification. Usually any book will do but in your case I think it would make sense to buy the book that is structured similar to the videos.

I used his book in 2002 when I took my A+ and I had no problem with his material. Like everything it gets a little boring but that's just something you need to overcome.
  • Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It all depend on how you study, for me first it is book, but video is there as an alternative source when I am too lazy to read. 

Also, I would get his book, but always try to have 2 recommanded sources. So find another book, so 2 books + video + a nice practice test. You will be OK. 
  • Options
    dammetsdammets Member Posts: 8 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It all depend on how you study, for me first it is book, but video is there as an alternative source when I am too lazy to read. 

Also, I would get his book, but always try to have 2 recommanded sources. So find another book, so 2 books + video + a nice practice test. You will be OK. 
    What about Meyer's book, Meyer's videos, Prof Messer's videos and a practice test? 
  • Options
    MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    dammets said:
    What about Meyer's book, Meyer's videos, Prof Messer's videos and a practice test? 

Sounds good. Take a look at Professor Messer's Course Notes (on his site) also. They are golden.

He also has live study groups on the first Tue & Thu of every month for A+ ... which are invaluable for newbies, in my opinion.
  • Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dammets said:

Well I took A+, in 2004 and I don't remember which book I used :) ... at that time, it was a lifetime certification.