Exams in which you cannot go back to a question after you click on Next

bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
edited February 2019 in General Certification
I know that the 2018 version of the CISSP exam is one of them. Are there any other exams that are like that? What is your opinion on this style of testing versus getting a chance to revisit a question before submitting your exam?
2021 Goals (2): SSCP, eCPPT
Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science

Comments

• stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Cisco exams are like that.  I prefer going back since sometimes the questions get answered by other questions that occur later on in the exam.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    The CCIE Collab written I took the other week didn't allow me to go back. Wonder if lower level certs are different. It's been awhile since I took one. 
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I’ve taken some CCNP exams recently and they don’t allow you to go back to previous questions either.
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    With GIAC exams you can skip up to 15 questions which you can get back to before completing the exam, but once you select an answer there is no returning to them. 

I prefer how ISACA exams are because there is no limit as to how many questions you can mark for review. I like being able to answer all of the questions that I know for sure first and then going back to the rest. CISSP was that way when I passed the exam in 2015. CCNP Security is the highest Cisco certification that I obtained and none of those exams allowed going back (this was in 2014). 
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yes, Cisco exams are like this.

I prefer it this way for a couple of reasons:
    1. Personally, it's too much of a distraction for me to have to concern about going back to something. I like to get it done and then move on.
    2. Generally, I believe it's a more honest assessment of someone's skills as each question cannot be used to answer another. It's supposed to be an assessment process in action, not a learning process in action. Yes, the exam can be a learning process in its entirety though, and that's great.

All that said, don't get me wrong. I'm not one of those people who tests easily.  :D
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Cisco exams are like that.  I prefer going back since sometimes the questions get answered by other questions that occur later on in the exam.
    I like those ones, but I don't prefer that format. As MontagueVandervort said - it's an assessment process, not a learning process. However, seeing an answer in a question after you picked the wrong one a few back is a bad feeling. Especially when you second guessed yourself on it and would have had the right answer. But, if I go into that exam fully prepared, I should know the answers. Shouldn't be a guessing game or going back. 
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I despise exams such as Cisco's.  I am the type of test taker that likes to go back and linger over a few questions.

Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I never go back. I think it's more of  a personality thing then a strategy but once I commit to a choice I just move on.

After the first 40 minutes of any test I start to get impatient and just want to hit finish anyway!
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @Skyliinez92 That’s weird that they still gave you the flag option even though you couldn’t return to those questions.  On the Cisco exams there is no flag or mark for review option.
  • bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thomas_ said:
    @Skyliinez92 That’s weird that they still gave you the flag option even though you couldn’t return to those questions.  On the Cisco exams there is no flag or mark for review option.
    All Cisco exams are like that? Not just the entry-level Cisco ones?
    Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Even when I took the CCNA v1 & v2 way back in 2000, they were like that...I didn't like it either.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cisco you cant; Juniper Networks you can.
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • FluffyBunnyFluffyBunny Member Posts: 230 ■■■■■□□□□□
    With GIAC exams you can skip up to 15 questions which you can get back to before completing the exam, but once you select an answer there is no returning to them. 
    Wait, what? Yikes, I'm glad I heard it from you first! That would have been a sucky surprise on the exam...
  • FluffyBunnyFluffyBunny Member Posts: 230 ■■■■■□□□□□
    thomas_ said:
    I think I recently read about at least one brand of exams (I believe it's GIAC), where the "Flag for review" button is not for you the test-taker, but so you can ask the vendor to review a question because you believe it to be of dubious quality. 
  • Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□

One of the reasons some vendors prevent candidates from going back.
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■

And I forgot to mention: GIAC exams allow breaks, but you must complete the skipped questions before you can take the break. I believe every exam that I have taken that is at least two hours allows breaks (ISC2, ISACA, GIAC), but the 90 minutes or less exams did not (Cisco, CompTIA). 
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Does the timer stop during breaks for some exams? I never took a break during any exam. I just punch through.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sometimes, I will just wear a depend or a catheter  X^D 
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I also never go back to questions, so I don't mind not being able to at all.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    shochan said:
    Sometimes, I will just wear a depend or a catheter  X^D 
    Aw man, now I've got soap in my eyes from trying to wash that image out of my mind! 
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    bjpeter said:
    Does the timer stop during breaks for some exams? I never took a break during any exam. I just punch through.
    Not that I am aware of.  We tell our students that if you have to leave for the restroom or a snack, the timer will not stop.  Of course, we only test CompTIA, Cisco, and EC-Council at our facility, so no (ISC)2 or PMI exam experience.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • That Random GuyThat Random Guy Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It depends. There are exams where they plainly give the answer to a previous question in the problem statement in  a different question; thusly making the more obvious to answer question pointless. In that scenario, I find it stupid but I don't think it merits not being able to go back. IMO, we're paying for that time. We should be able to use it how we see fit—and if that includes wasting it on revisiting previous questions, so be it. I should be given that option. Of course, cert bodies and "experts" will hold their own opinions—yes, opinions.
  • scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Some exams use “adaptive” testing, where your answers to previous questions influence the questions you are given later in the exam - in those cases you would definitely not be able to go back.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com