Want to learn linux system administration. Where to start?

tom_dubtom_dub Member Posts: 59 ■■■■□□□□□□
I really like Linux and would like to learn more to eventually obtain a job as a type of linux sys admin role or cloud technology.  I currently have over 7 years of IT application support experience at the senior level and would like to specialize in something or obtain a more technical role.

I thought a certification in Linux system administration would be a good place to start but I am a bit confused in regards to the LPIC-101 and Linux+.  Are these the same tests?  If I take the LPIC-101 and pass it would that grant me a Linux+ certification?

Is Linux Academy a good place to learn this material?  I feel I learn best by listening to someone teach it and interacting with the commands and exercises with them rather than reading a book.  I'd also prefer some type of material that kind of forces you to actually learn the material by offering quizzes or practice exercises.  

Comments

• NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This video by CBT nuggets helps break down the System admin certifications for Linux and Microsoft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQwoJ4XD02o&list=PLQVJk9oC5JKoMmiEXcQcuytL4lfkgIXR9&index=4&t=0s
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think LinuxAcademy is a great place to start. Start with Essentials and move into Linux+LPIC-1.

I also strongly suggest having some sort of use in mind. I'm into security, so using Kali Linux to do assessments and CTFs really helps solidify the concepts.

For the certs, you'd have to look up some more about Linux+, but I think it is two exams for it.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Wait until April when new version of Linux+ comes out that only needs one exam to obtain the cert.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mikey88 said:
    Wait until April when new version of Linux+ comes out that only needs one exam to obtain the cert.
    Definitely don't do this. Number 1 because the exam is designed by CompTIA. The current version is designed by LPI and is much better than any CompTIA exam I've taken. And number 2; the current version will also get you LPIC-1 when you pass Linux+.
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • MicroScoMicroSco Member Posts: 18 ■■□□□□□□□□

Most Linux Admin type jobs ask for many other stuffs such as scripting (bash/python), configuration management (chef/puppet/ansible) and sometime even they ask for php, java, etc. So by just learning Linux probably won’t help you that much on landing a Linux Sysadmin type job. You need to learn at least few of those other stuffs. Another problem is, unlike Windows, junior sysadmin type jobs are very rare in Linux.

• ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Here's a good freeware LPIC course:

https://courses.edx.org/courses/course-v1:LinuxFoundationX+LFS101x+3T2018/course/

I went through it and the content is good. 
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    IMO https://linuxacademy.com is the best fit because they offer CBTs, labs, and even 6 VMs slots for you to practice with.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Check meetup.com and find a local Linux group you can join.   You might be able to meet some Linux admins at the meetup.

When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hands on is an effective way to learn Linux. The more you use it, the better you will become.
    Set yourself a challenge such as a small project.

Linux+ (LX0-103 and LX0-104 exams) were developed for CompTIA by the Linux Professional Institute (LPI). The two exams include multiple-choice, multiple-response and fill-in-the-blank questions. Passing both will attain both Linux+ and LPIC-1 certifications.
    CompTIA are replacing these two exams with one (XK0-004) in April 2019. The new exam includes performance-based questions to validate a candidate’s hands-on skills.