What to do, what to do? 901-902 or 1001-1002?

bottymanriquebottymanrique Member Posts: 6 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone! Berto (noob) here!

I've been reading and digesting everyones suggestions and comments on here, as I'm mentally preparing myself to dive in to CompTIA this year, but I'm still a little on the fence. Come July the 901-902 will be done and 1001-1002 will be or is almost in full effect.

I've read on here that people are passing the exams after only studying for a month, 6 weeks and/or 3 months!?

Do I get all my books for the 901-902 and just start now? Do I wait for the 1001-1002? Can I pass the 901-902 in the next 3 months? (February is pretty much over) I have a full time job (not in IT), a wife, an almost 4 year old daughter, another baby on the way, a mortgage and my dog Chester lol. 

Back in 2003 I started taking the A+ Certification prep at my local community college but life took me in a different direction and now I'm back here.

I'm hoping some of you can give me some guidance and see what is more realistic.

I'm very glad I was able to find this forum, which has giving me a great amount of encouragement.

Thanks in advance!

Berto

Comments

• stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would recommend taking the 901/902 exams, if you can study enough to pass the exams before they retire.  It shouldn't be too difficult to fit in about an hour or so a day of studying, even given the responsibilities that you currently have.  Half an hour early to get up, give a half an hour before bed, and before you know it...you are ready and certified. 

My primary reason for suggesting the 901/902 exams is based on the volume of really good study materials that are available now.  If things hold to the past, then it might take several more months before good quality materials make it to market.  Check out Professor Messer videos, Cybrary.it, and Mike Myers' materials.  They should set you up for success.

Good luck.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How long the exam takes you will depend entirely on how much experience you have, both with working in IT, and studying/passing exams. I think it took me about a year to study for the A+. I didn't have any experience in IT, and also didn't pay any attention at school, so my study habits were awful.

Don't let other people's timeframes influence yours. It takes as long as it takes. Just start reading the books/watching videos, and keep going. Don't worry about how long it takes.
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Do keep in mind that with the A+, CompTIA requires you to pass both exams of the same series.  So you have to give yourself a study schedule that would allow you to pass both the 901 and 902 by the time they retire.  Best of luck to you, whichever path you decide.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • bottymanriquebottymanrique Member Posts: 6 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good morning everyone! And wow! What a great way to wake up! THANK YOU THANK YOU to all of you for taking the time in answering my questions and concerns. 

Your words of encouragement and positivity is why my toes are now official in the water and my Mike Meyers book is on the way!

Keep everyone posted!

• MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sorry I missed this.

I hope you chose 1001-1002?

Trying to cram both exams into less than 5 months is going to be one hell of a ride if not. :D