Passed Network+ today!!

Domm362Domm362 Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
So, I passed my Network+ exam with a score of 770. 3 months of intense studying and taking practice tests finally paid off. For those of you that are wondering, I used the following study resources:

Professor Messer's Network+ videos
"Network+ Guide to Networks" textbook co-authored by Jill West and Jean Andrews
Jason Dion's 5 Network+ exams and simulations pack on Udemy - these practice tests were significantly harder than the real thing, just letting everyone know.

Anyone that is looking to take the Network+ soon, here are some pointers from my experience:
- Know your protocols and their port numbers. I got quite a few of these questions.
- Memorize your wireless standards (802.11a/b/g/n/ac) and your wired connections + standards (Ethernet, Fiber optic).
- Network security is emphasized quite a bit. Know the different kinds of threats to a network (i.e. social engineering) and how to mitigate those threats.
"Winners focus on winning. Losers focus on winners."

Comments

• SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Surprised there are not comments here but I'll be happy to be the first to say CONGRATS!

Also took me about 3 months to study for this as well. There is definitely a wealth of information to cover so it is by no means a test you can pass easily (unless you're experienced) without some effort. What is your next goal?
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
    Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
    Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise
  • Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 Registered Users Posts: 191 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats on passing the test!
    Current: Network+ | Project+ 
    Working on: PMP
  • Domm362Domm362 Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys! My next goal is the Security+. Hoping to earn that cert within the next 6 months.
  • LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on Net+.

Security+ is definitely a different beast. It's not an entry level cert, but I believe an essential cert for IT.  With the same study practices you used on Net+, you should be fine. Good luck!
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

• greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • c0mptiac0mptia Member Posts: 149 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice!! congrad!!
  • jetfanjetfan Member Posts: 112 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited February 2019

Congrats! Just picked up Meyers all in one N10-007 study guide for starters. Figured I've been pushing it back all these years while I took several Comptia and Microsoft exams. After an intense 3 round session of interviews, was just offered a network and systems tech job, so this is a perfect time to start diving into this material.

• bowmattybowmatty Member Posts: 107 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Domm362, what were your scores you were getting n JD Practice exams? im scoring 70-80% and find they're hard
    @bowmatty I was scoring roughly the same as you. I found that some of the questions were poorly worded and had some vague answers, but overall an excellent preparation tool and made the real thing feel not nearly as unbearable.
  • bowmattybowmatty Member Posts: 107 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited February 2019
    @Domm362, with scoring similar scores on JD did you practice elsewhere or just book the actual exam?

Sorry for the questions im just nervous about booking the exam haha
    @bowmatty no need to be sorry! What I will tell you is that if you can score 80% or higher on the Jason Dion practice tests, you'll be ready for the real exam. I found those tests to be more difficult than the actual test. I would also recommend Professor Messer's weekly Network+ pop quizzes; I also used those as practice material, and in my opinion are closest to what the real test will look like.

Best of luck!!