Options

Jasper says hello (Tampa, FL)

jasper_zanjanijasper_zanjani Member Posts: 76 ■■■■□□□□□□
edited March 2019 in Introduce Yourself
Hey guys! I feel like I'm introducing myself to the entire IT world. Let me start by giving you a little bit of background on myself.
Since getting my Master's in 2008, I had been working as a translator for the federal government close to DC. Since last year, I made the decision to relocate to Tampa in order to be closer to my daughter. Obviously, there is an absence of federal agencies in Florida that would be interested in my linguistic capabilities, so I decided to make the transition to technology. And I believe the safest bet is for me to move into system or network administration.
My grand strategy is to push for a help desk position at the moment. I received my CompTIA A+ on my first try late last month after a few weeks of studying off a used exam study guide (for the older 220-801 and 2 exam editions at that!) and some practice exams. In the medium-term I am preparing to get a Cisco CCENT (exam 100-105) and MCSA (exam 70-698), which I hope will be enough to let me squeeze in somewhere as a junior network administrator despite my lack of actual work experience in the field.
In the longer-term, I want to pursue PCAP (Python Institute) and CompTIA Linux+. I believe a role managing a Linux network would represent the best marriage of my technical interests with the reality of the actual opportunities available. If I ever get there, I would like to transition to full-stack web development, but there do not appear to be many opportunities for that type of position here.
I would welcome comment, criticism, or reality-checks of any types.
Everyone reading this should find me on Twitter and LinkedIn, especially if you're in Florida. Let's network!

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Welcome aboard!
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    Welcome to TE!

Are the salary levels of junior-level IT technicians in Florida really more attractive than what you can make as a foreign language translator in the DMV area? I realize that FL has a lower cost of living, no state tax, etc., but it seems like quite an earnings drop to tolerate. Have you considered also looking for Internet-based translation work, such as for porting software for use in other human languages?
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    No turning back now. Welcome!
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    JDMurray said:
    Welcome to TE!

Are the salary levels of junior-level IT technicians in Florida really more attractive than what you can make as a foreign language translator in the DMV area? I realize that FL has a lower cost of living, no state tax, etc., but it seems like quite an earnings drop to tolerate. Have you considered also looking for Internet-based translation work, such as for porting software for use in other human languages?
    Income was not my motivation in making the change, and there is no demand for my translation skills outside of the DMV.
  • Options
    jumblerrjumblerr Member Posts: 101 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome Jasper!
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Welcome!  Glad to have you aboard!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There's a web development type school down there, I believe called Full Sail. From my cynical armchair view, the school is causing a glut of web developer graduates in the area looking for work, rather than the school being built in a location that satisfied a shortage of web developers that existed in Florida. I believe much of that work can be done remotely either way. Just my rather unqualified two cents (I might be right though).
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Welcome to the forum! In my opinion, you need a better game plan. With a masters degree, the focus should be on utilizing that asset and going for a management role.

Climbing your way up from helpdesk will be a long road ahead and it just doesn't make sense to me. Second, your certification goals seem to be all over the place. If you truly want nothing but a technical role, then pick a certification path that makes sense.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Options
    mikey88 said:
    Welcome to the forum! In my opinion, you need a better game plan. With a masters degree, the focus should be on utilizing that asset and going for a management role.

Climbing your way up from helpdesk will be a long road ahead and it just doesn't make sense to me. Second, your certification goals seem to be all over the place. If you truly want nothing but a technical role, then pick a certification path that makes sense.
    I appreciate your input. I have always been open to working my way into management, but I think the market is saturated with MBAs and junior execs and other guys going for that low-hanging fruit, not to mention all the legions of guys who have become subject matter experts in their own fields and are just looking for an incremental movement upward.

I appreciate you telling me I need a better certification path. If I was actually successful in landing a lower-level IT job, I would of course concentrate on the conventional path forward which is well-established in IT (CCENT, Network+, CCNA, Security+, and so on). That still has not happened to me, so instead of collecting a bunch of IT-related certifications without a job to show for it, I am trying to expand horizontally in an effort to make myself attractive to a wider variety of roles, like sys admin, junior developer, web developer, etc. I just got a Python certification and am continuing my journey of discovery. It seems like every little step I take in any direction is equally painful from the standpoint of learning new material, so rather than specializing in a field I have not yet succeeded in breaking into, I am diversifying my skillset. How do you like my plan now?
  • Options
    themanwholaughsthemanwholaughs Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome to Tech Exams 
  • Options
    Chrisbari14Chrisbari14 Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome to Tech Exams!  Unlike other Southern Florida  cities, Tampa offers more opportunities and typically pays more as well. Wish you the best of luck! Get prepared for the Hot summers!