Signed up for the Certified ScrumMaster® for the 27th and 28th.

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
Pretty stoked.  Lots of positions are outside of my reach that are requiring this certification.  One spot left (according to the website)  ;).  2 days, the cost IS ~1200.  I'll follow up once completed.  In my area, the CSM is really sought after.  (Midwest - US)
Tagged:

Comments

• JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Good luck! I looked hard at the CSM a year or so ago due to the position I had. I tried to go for PMP but I just hate the waterfall model so much. Agile/Scrum is much more to my liking. 
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah PMP / Waterfall isn't my thing either.....   I'll post back once I complete the training.  
    edited February 2019
    FANTASTIC COURSE

Here is the provider I used:  https://3back.com/

Doug Shimp was the CST, he was FANTASTIC.   I learned so freaking much it was ridiculous.  From a high level here is what I learned.  BTW he was trained from the master himself, Ken Schwarber. 

SCRUM basics, as you would of expected.  
    Different types of backlogs
    Definition of done
    SCRUM in the organization
    Work Management
    Team Size and Maturity
    Roles

We ran some sprints, from the kickoff through product development, build stores and task.  Hybridized our model slightly which was totally fine by the instructor.  Lots of hands on.  Loved it.

Went into a deep review of the Waterfall model and how it's not effective.  Originally designed by NASA to build space shuttles and other large scaled objects.  Promotes documentation, documentation and more documentations.  Waterfalls adopted by consulting houses to generated billable hours.  Not designed to deliver effective software.  PMP aligned with Waterfall, based on a faulty framework.  Really interesting stuff, I mean realllllly interesting.  PMP good for bridges, shuttle missions, Dams and Levees you get the deal, but not software projects.

Just received my exam voucher and will be taking that today sometime.

edited March 2019
    Just a follow up, I passed on my second try with a 40 out of 50.  Test is pretty cake if you attend the training, well you have to attend and you really should.  All the exercises really get you set up, however it's ITILish so some experience would be very helpful.  Anyway, officially a Certified Scrum Master from Scrum Alliance the ASQ of Scrum, really the only one worth anything........  

Got my cert knocked out of the year.  
  • mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow DBH that's great!
    We both ended up taking the course early this year
    Would have found out sooner but the new format has killed my particpation on this site!!!
    But regardless, way to go!!!
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
    Thanks man!  @mzx380 How did you like your course?  Did you learn a lot?
  • securitychopssecuritychops Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! :)
    Current Certs   : OSCE, OSCP, CISSP, Pentest+, Security+, SLAE, SLAE64
    Goals for 2019 : OSEE
    Goals for 2020 : OSWE
    SecurityChops.  If you are ever looking for a certification for growth I would recommend the CSM.  While I would agree it's mostly leveraged for software, it can be applied to any organization.  
  • mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I really enjoyed my course and learned a lot.  It wasn't my first agile cert but because I found it so fascinating, it will definitely not be my last. I plan on taking more Scrum Alliance certs moving forward.  I was in the middle of studying 70-761 but I paused that to do more.  I'll reach out to you in that thread for follow up lol
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
    mzx380 said:
    I really enjoyed my course and learned a lot.  It wasn't my first agile cert but because I found it so fascinating, it will definitely not be my last. I plan on taking more Scrum Alliance certs moving forward.  I was in the middle of studying 70-761 but I paused that to do more.  I'll reach out to you in that thread for follow up lol
    I'm currently looking for roles most of which contain some MS SQL development.  I REALLY miss it ;)