Options

50% Travel

CyberCop123CyberCop123 Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
edited March 2019 in IT Jobs / Degrees
I have applied for a job with Microsoft within a Cybersecurity position.  However, the job description states that there will be up to 50% global travelling.  The internal recruiter asked me about my willingness to do this.  I did say it didn't put me off, but I would like to talk with the head manager about the job and the finer details.  

I've never travelled globally for work before.  I'm a little worried by it being 50% of the time and concerned about how impactive that may be on me.  I don't have kids, but I do have a long term partner. 

Has anyone here travelled to this degree for work?  
How did you find it?
Was it good, bad, fun, etc...?

The job looks good - I don't know if I have much of a chance as some parts of the JD I have no experience in.  However, I wanted to consider this just in case I do go further in this application.

Thanks
Cybercop 
My Aims
2017: OSCP -
COMPLETED
2018: CISSP -
COMPLETED
2019: GIAC GNFA - Advanced Network Forensics & Threat Hunting -
COMPLETED
           GIAC GREM - Reverse Engineering of Malware -
COMPLETED

2021: CCSP
2022: OSWE (hopefully)

Comments

• Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It all depend on your long term partner... Is she willing to be alone 50% of the time? Have you talked to her about this. Will it create conflict between you and her ?

I am sure that technically the job is interesting and the money is good, but at this point it is mostly a couple relationship issue.

I never worked globally, I would have liked it a lot. But at some point of my career there were period where I was travelling a lot more and what I found difficult is eating in restaurant 3 times a day, strangely at first it is nice, but after a time you are just craving home food. 
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I did it early in my career, 60-70% of my weekdays were travel. It was draining.

The questions I would have include, are you expected to travel on weekends? Who plans the schedule and how far in advance? How much effort is placed around avoiding jetlag? What's the policy for airline seating? Will they expect you to fly cattle class and be able to work on landing? How long will you be expected to be gone at any one time? Being out for a month and back for a month is very different than out for a week, back for a week.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What would make the difference for me is if my partner could make some of the trips with me. My wife would love to explore a city while I'm working and then we enjoy each other's time when I am done. 

I know a guy that does offshore drilling and is away from his wife/kids 3 weeks straight at a time, but the trade-off is he is home for 3 weeks straight with his family without interruptions (plus the money is great). The time away is hard, but seemed to help build a stronger bond and they don't take for granted the time that they do get together. 

I have no idea what it is like to travel so frequently for work, but would have loved an opportunity like that before being married with children. I have been in my current role since September and have made four trips to different countries since then, but I am never gone more than a few days. 
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    Thanks everyone 

The role is Cybersecurity Lead and is incident response based. So it is short notice travel. 

I will have to ask the Head boss a few more questions  

I was keen to know stuff like:

1) how undersdanding are they if I can't travel one time.  Not talking every week but odd occasions

2) what exactly is the geographical area covered. They did say global but then went on to say there's cover in Australia and so I want to know a bit more 

3) a big one is class of travel.  I'd expect business class travel where available 

4) is credit card provided.  I know that coffee, taxi, dinner costs really add up. I'd not want to spend my own money and claim back 

5) would I be expected to cover weekends? 

My Aims
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED

• Options
    As it it incident based response, I would expect some crazy scheduling on short notice.  No company would hire a Cybersec Incident response guy from Microsoft if he work only 8-5 M-F. Well, I am in a much smaller company, and I expect more than that from my tech while on incident response (you work until it's done!)  
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    An IR person not only travels but stays at the job site until the job is sufficiently completed (days, weeks). Make sure you get the details on this aspect of the job--preferably from someone who has already worked IR for Microsoft.
  • Options
    Good advice and good points. I hadn't considered it may be weeks away. I'd actually prefer that to 1-2 day trips on a more frequent basis. 

I'd be surprised if I get far in this process. 

One of the things on JD is a good knowledge of microsoft cloud and server.  Two areas I know almost nothing about.  I told them I was weak in those areas so will be surprised if I get past an initial phone interview 
    My Aims
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED
    COMPLETED

• Options
    edited March 2019
    IR people are like firefighter for cyber security... you can't leave still the fire is raging :)

• Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    One other thing to consider is the likely negative impact on your health regarding good meals and your fitness routine.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A friend took a large promotion to a CISO of a global company. Went from a short commute and reasonable hours to weeks around the world almost constantly. He complains about it... all the time. More power to people who could pull that off but it wouldn't fit my lifestyle at all. 
  • Options
    Danielm7 said:
    A friend took a large promotion to a CISO of a global company. Went from a short commute and reasonable hours to weeks around the world almost constantly. He complains about it... all the time. More power to people who could pull that off but it wouldn't fit my lifestyle at all. 
    I think it is choice of lifestyle.. If you want to do that better not have long term partner, and or kids.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    yoba222 said:
    One other thing to consider is the likely negative impact on your health regarding good meals and your fitness routine.
    Good points.  Also, there is a negative impact based on the physiological effects of air travel, among many other things.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sometimes lots of travel is how the relationship stays together
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    EANx said:
    Sometimes lots of travel is how the relationship stays together
    Exactly! You can actually miss each other and look forward to each other's company. Definitely wouldn't take quality time for granted.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    This thread is making me so grateful for being single. :D

Best of luck on the job if you want it!
  • Options
    KyrakKyrak Member Posts: 143 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took my current role back in October and it was originally billed as a 4 days a week on site (2 hour flight from where I live).  It was that way for the first month but then it morphed into more of a 1 week up, 3 weeks remote thing which is awesome.  It was a hard discussion with my girlfriend who I live with but you sort of get used to it.  As long as the opportunity is worth it $$ or career development wise I think it can work out.  Also if you are smart about which credit cards you use, you can do even better if you expense the travel costs.  For example, I can book Marriott hotels using their corporate rates through a shopping portal and get 10% cash back or 10X miles on the bookings.  Then on top of that if you have the Marriott credit card you get extra points on Marriott spend too.  Plus the elite status for both airlines and hotel which makes everything even better.  I say go for it and decide when you get the offer.  Microsoft on your resume wouldn't suck either!
    Up next: On Break, but then maybe CCNA DC, CCNP DC, CISM, AWS SysOps Administrator