Services & Processes for Linux

CertinatorCertinator Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
Does anyone know where I can find what services and processes DNS and NTP uses

Comments

• PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd answer this, but it's a really lazy question.
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'll help with the second one:
    $ man ntpd

A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Pseudo! LOL

CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Does anyone know where I can find what services and processes DNS and NTP uses
    Alrighty - all kidding aside. Can you provide a bit more context? Like clarifying what and why of your question?

How much Linux experience do you actually have? I can appreciate that sometimes it get be confusing when you are starting out just to figure out which terms to google.

In Linux - you can discover processes using the "ps" command if that's what you are asking. As @yoba222 mentioned - the "man" command can be very helpful in learning how to use the commands. You should also learn to use "grep" and understand how pipes work if you don't already know. 

• CertinatorCertinator Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks @yoba222 and @paul78. I recently took the CASP exam and recall having a sim where I had to harden a Red Hat server that was being used as a DNS and Time server. It asked me to disable all other unecessary processes (wireless, bluetooth, etc.) I used  ps - A  and retrieved a list of currently running services (roughly 25 services). I pretty much disabled everything except network, named, ntpd, and sshd. I'm wondering if I disabled more services than I was suppose to.
    ..... I'm wondering if I disabled more services than I was suppose to.
    If the server is still working and it's still responding to DNS and NTP requests, it should be fine. Is there a problem with what the server is suppose to do?

• CertinatorCertinator Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    On the sim there was no way to tell if it was responding to DNS and NTP requests. They only offer like 5 available commands to use and those  were only for listing/stopping services and killing processes (ps -A, chkconfig, service, kill -9).  
  • SylabicumaSylabicuma Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited March 2019
    On the sim there was no way to tell if it was responding to DNS and NTP requests. They only offer like 5 available commands to use and those  were only for listing/stopping services and killing processes (ps -A, chkconfig, service, kill -9).  
    So how would you know it's a problem? I'm not really sure what problem you are trying to solve. Is netstat a command you have access to? You can also use that to figure out what processes are also listening.

Just my two cents, if you are trying to learn how to do this - you may not want to use a simulator. It's a poor substitute for real-world experience. You may just want to install a hypervisor (like VMware player) and a Linux distro like Centos (which is similar to Redhat) or Ubuntu (which is used by many tech companies) and try it out. You can do all this without spending any money for access to a simulator or training course.