CompTIA Linux+ XK1-004 Beta Exam

victor.s.andreivictor.s.andrei Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just a heads up for anyone studying for Linux+ right now...

CompTIA announced the launch of a single beta exam XK1-004 for the Linux+ certification on August 21, 2018. The new exam will contain performance-based questions and activities. Results for the beta exam will be provided to registrants in April 2019.

https://certification.comptia.org/certifications/linux
Q4 '18 Certification Goals: Cisco ICND2; JNCIA-Junos; Linux+; Palo Alto ACE

2018-2020 Learning Goals: non-degree courses in math (Idaho, Illinois NetMath, VCU) and CS/EE (CU Boulder, CSU)
in preparation for an application to MS Math + CS/EE dual-master's degree program at a US state school TBD by Q4'21

To be Jedi is to face the truth...and choose.
Give off light...or darkness, Padawan.
Be a candle...or the night.
(Yoda)

Comments

• PsychoData91PsychoData91 Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Has anyone been able to find a list of updated Objectives for Linux+ Beta (XK1-004) from here I saw
    “The new exam has a sharper focus on the most highly relevant Linux skills,” Ludwig said. “It’s written for today’s times. We’ve increased the emphasis on security, Git revisions, virtualization, and other competencies that today’s technology professionals must have.”Unlike vendor-specific certifications, CompTIA Linux+ covers multiple distributions, validating skills that help prevent platform lock-in and promote more flexible approaches to Linux system troubleshooting. Concepts covered by the exam include system configuration, command line interface, scripting basics, network settings and services, and system security

It says objectives are available here, which has you fill out a form and sends you the objectives or the current exams by email (LXO-103, LXO-104), but the beta isn't in the dropdown I can't find anything for the Beta besides the above from the press release, and the old objectives. Any ideas?
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I haven't found any, I am just going to study the old objectives and hope to pass the beta. I have about 15 days left till I sit for it.

I am curious if anyone has taken the Linux+ Beta exam yet...if so, how was your experience?
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • mgeoffriaumgeoffriau Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    From here: https://www.reddit.com/r/CompTIA/comments/907c3m/linux_xk0004_announcement_thread/
    What has Changed!
    • The new Linux+ is a broader exam that more thoroughly assesses the overall knowledge level of candidates.
    • The exam has a sharpened focus on the most current and relevant subject matter for IT professionals working in an enterprise environment.
    • The new Linux+ is not eligible for the “two-for-one” offer with LPI, including this Beta.
    [FONT=&quot]What's been added to the Exam[/FONT]
    • Security
    • Kernel Modules
    • Storage & Visualization
    • Device Management at an Enterprise Level
    • Git & Automation
    • Networking & Firewalls (especially security-based)
    • Server Side & Command Line
    • Server (vs. Client-based) Coverage
    • Troubleshooting
    • SELinux
    [FONT=&quot]What's been removed from the Exam[/FONT]
    • X11
    • Mail
    • SQL
    • Printing (/u/OSUTechi's note: THANK GOD!!!)
    • End User Support
    • GPG
    [FONT=&quot]Beta Objectives/Domain[/FONT]

[TH="class: yklcuq-25 RvpPs, align: center"]% Breakdown[/TH]
    [TH="class: yklcuq-25 RvpPs, align: center"][/TH]

1.0 Hardware and System Configuration
    21%

2.0 System Operation & Maintenance
    26%

3.0 Security
    19%

4.0 Linux Troubleshooting & Diagnostics
    20%

5.0 Automation & Scripting
    14%

[FONT=&quot]Objectives
    1.1 Explain Linux boot process concepts
    1.2 Given a scenario, install, configure, and monitor kernel modules
    1.3 Given a scenario, configure and verify network connection parameters
    1.4 Given a scenario, manage storage in a Linux environment
    1.5 Compare and contrast cloud and virtualization concepts and technologies
    1.6 Given a scenario, configure localization options[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2.1 Given a scenario, conduct software installations, configurations, updates, and removals
    2.2 Given a scenario, manage users and groups
    2.3 Given a scenario, create, modify, and redirect files
    2.4 Given a scenario, manage services
    2.5 Summarize and explain server roles
    2.6 Given a scenario, automate and schedule jobs
    2.7 Explain the use and operation of Linux devices
    2.8 Compare and contrast Linux graphical user interfaces[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]3.1 Given a scenario, apply or acquire the appropriate user and/or group permissions and ownership
    3.2 Given a scenario, configure and implement appropriate access and authentication methods
    3.3 Summarize security best practices in a Linux environment
    3.4 Given a scenario, implement logging services
    3.5 Given a scenario, implement and configure Linux firewalls
    3.6 Given a scenario, backup, restore, and compress files[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]4.1 Given a scenario, analyze system properties and remediate accordingly
    4.2 Given a scenario, analyze system processes in order to optimize performance
    4.3 Given a scenario, analyze and troubleshoot user issues
    4.4 Given a scenario, analyze and troubleshoot application and hardware issues[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]5.1 Given a scenario, deploy and execute basic BASH scripts
    5.2 Given a scenario, carry out version control using Git
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]5.3 Summarize orchestration processes and concepts[/FONT]
    CISSP || A+ || Network+ || Security+ || Project+ || Linux+ || Healthcare IT Technician || ITIL Foundation v3 || CEH || CHFI
    M.S. Cybersecurity and Information Assurance, WGU
  • FluffyBunnyFluffyBunny Member Posts: 230 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Took the beta today and I wasn't very impressed. I have no recent experience with LPIC or with the previous version of Linux+, only with LPIC from ten years ago. Based on that I feel that the new Linux+ is less... exciting? thrilling? worthy? than LPIC. It feels to me like a traditional Linux-junior exam with its odd fascination on TAR, but with modern subjects (like Git or virtualization) tacked on the side.

Personally I disliked one of the PBQ's, with a simulated terminal. This simulation would only accept the exact, literal command and parameter combinations that have been programmed into it. Anything else, any other permutation of flags, results in the same error message. Imagine my frustration when a command that I run almost daily to solve the question at hand is not accepted, because I'm not using the exact flags or the order thereof that they want me to type.

Anyway. I'm glad that I took the beta, simply to get more feeling of the (international) market place. Now at least I'll know what the cert entails, should I ever see it on an applicant's resumé. :)
  • Lord NikonLord Nikon Member Posts: 115
    Took the beta today and I wasn't very impressed. I have no recent experience with LPIC or with the previous version of Linux+, only with LPIC from ten years ago. Based on that I feel that the new Linux+ is less... exciting? thrilling? worthy? than LPIC. It feels to me like a traditional Linux-junior exam with its odd fascination on TAR, but with modern subjects (like Git or virtualization) tacked on the side.

Personally I disliked one of the PBQ's, with a simulated terminal. This simulation would only accept the exact, literal command and parameter combinations that have been programmed into it. Anything else, any other permutation of flags, results in the same error message. Imagine my frustration when a command that I run almost daily to solve the question at hand is not accepted, because I'm not using the exact flags or the order thereof that they want me to type.

Anyway. I'm glad that I took the beta, simply to get more feeling of the (international) market place. Now at least I'll know what the cert entails, should I ever see it on an applicant's resumé. :)

do you think you passed it?
    d
    "This is our world now. The world of the electron and the switch; the beauty of the baud. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias. You wage wars, murder, ****, lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals. Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto. You may stop me, but you can't stop us all.."

• ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is the new exam going to be a single exam vs the 2 exams of the last couple of versions?
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
    Had 114 questions about 5 simulations (which required CLI correct syntax). I know a missed a couple of those. But being a Linux noob/script kiddie, I feel like I probably didn't pass it...however, I saw more security/networking questions on there, so I might have somehow pulled out a pass...Guess I will have to wait till March/April 2019 to find out.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
    Just took it this morning. Multiple choice questions were fairly typical CompTIA stuff, one of the four answers will be off the wall, the other three will be fairly similar and you have to look at the details, syntax, etc. not to get tripped up.

The simulation questions were...frustrating. 2 of them I left incomplete because I got tired of trying every variation of applicable commands I could think only to have it spit back "invalid response" or whatever the default message was.
    CISSP || A+ || Network+ || Security+ || Project+ || Linux+ || Healthcare IT Technician || ITIL Foundation v3 || CEH || CHFI
    Lord Nikon wrote: »
    do you think you passed it?
    d
    If I didn't, I really should look into a new field of work. =_=
    The simulation questions were...frustrating. 2 of them I left incomplete because I got tired of trying every variation of applicable commands I could think only to have it spit back "invalid response" or whatever the default message was.
    Yup, those were my feelings as well. It's not a proper simulation if you can't use multiple ways to achieve the goal at hand.
  • Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hope your results come good.
    The official exam launches in April 2019.

Going forward, Linux+ certification will consist of a single exam.
  • victor.s.andreivictor.s.andrei Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Swift6 said:
    Hope your results come good.
    The official exam launches in April 2019.

Going forward, Linux+ certification will consist of a single exam.
    Well, I guess this means that I need to hurry up and pass both LX0-103 and LX0-104 as soon as possible!
    Q4 '18 Certification Goals: Cisco ICND2; JNCIA-Junos; Linux+; Palo Alto ACE

2018-2020 Learning Goals: non-degree courses in math (Idaho, Illinois NetMath, VCU) and CS/EE (CU Boulder, CSU)
    in preparation for an application to MS Math + CS/EE dual-master's degree program at a US state school TBD by Q4'21

To be Jedi is to face the truth...and choose.
    Give off light...or darkness, Padawan.
    Be a candle...or the night.
    (Yoda)
  • annamaeannamae Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was emailed a list of objectives and information for the new Linux+ that is coming out this year. I am telling all my students to take the Linux+ powered by LPI exam before they get rid of it. Not a fan of them no longer being partners with LPI. :(
    annamae said:
    I was emailed a list of objectives and information for the new Linux+ that is coming out this year. I am telling all my students to take the Linux+ powered by LPI exam before they get rid of it. Not a fan of them no longer being partners with LPI. :(
    Thanks for sharing objectives. The partnership with LPI was a good thing. It is unfortunate not to be going forward.
  • phariuspharius Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Does anyone know when the retirement date for the LXO-103 and LXO-104 is? 
    edited February 2019
    pharius said:
    Does anyone know when the retirement date for the LXO-103 and LXO-104 is? 
    I believe end of March 2019, do a search on CompTIA's site
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Anyone got their beta results yet? So the exam release is slated for Apr 2019 but new textbooks on amazon are releasing June-Sept 2019 kinda lame.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

No results yet. Then again, April == April... So we'll have to be patient for at least a few more weeks.
    edited April 2019
    I probably failed the SOB, but who cares...it was a quick learning experience, only had like 2 months to cram for it.  Not enough for experience for me that has been working in Windows environments for 2 decades.

Yeah, I didn't pass the beta, but I am going after it before the new exam comes out, while it is fresh.  
    Feel pretty much the same, my Linux knowledge was very basic and I just crammed for 3 weeks. Not that bothered if I failed it, was worth the motivation to study for a bit.
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited March 2019
    So, after this split from LPI, entry-level Linux aspirants will need to choose to either look at CompTia or look at LPIC, right?

Just curious. I have it on my to do list this year, mostly due to a friend who is more junior than I looking for a studymate, and I figured we'd just pursue it together, since I've just never done it and kinda always wanted to since the CompTia Linux+ was lifetime.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
    Yes, it will be a choice between LPI, CompTIA and Linux Foundation for vendor-neutral Linux certs.

My guess is one exam for one credential (Linux+) will be a more attractive option than two exams for one credential (LPIC-1).
    Though LPI exams cover a good depth of detail hence the split to two exams.
    Heads up folks, results are out. Not posted to the CertMetrics site yet, but if you hit the Pearson VUE site and log into the CompTIA section, you can see your PASS/FAIL status as well as a score report.

Passed with a 767 (min. 720), a bit surprised, but I usually do better on exams than I think I will.
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Since we can now see that the "old" Linux+ will still be available for 6 months (until October 2019), I may still get that one. A lifetime cert is always nice...

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
    Heads up folks, results are out. 
    Thanks for the reminder! Luckily I will not have to reconsider my life's decisions. :)

860/900. I reckon I mostly failed on that one weird simulation.
    Heads up folks, results are out. Not posted to the CertMetrics site yet, but if you hit the Pearson VUE site and log into the CompTIA section, you can see your PASS/FAIL status as well as a score report.

Passed with a 767 (min. 720), a bit surprised, but I usually do better on exams than I think I will.
    Good work on the pass.
    Heads up folks, results are out. 
    Thanks for the reminder! Luckily I will not have to reconsider my life's decisions. :)

860/900. I reckon I mostly failed on that one weird simulation.
    Solid performance on that Beta exam.
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    edited April 2019
    LonerVamp said:
    Since we can now see that the "old" Linux+ will still be available for 6 months (until October 2019), I may still get that one. A lifetime cert is always nice...
    I'll probably go for the new cert. Sure, a lifetime cert is cool but at the same time I don't want to learn irrelevant outdated content. Plus I like the idea of only 1 exam.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

mikey88 said:
    LonerVamp said:
    I'll probably go for the new cert. Sure, a lifetime cert is cool but at the same time I don't want to learn irrelevant outdated content. Plus I like the idea of only 1 exam.
    One exam instead of two sounds more appealing.