Options

How crazy am I and has anyone here made this career move?

2»

Comments

• Options
    malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Upon further research, it looks that having a German resume would be a bad choice due to the company assuming that I'd be coming in with more knowledge on the language than would be possible for me at this point.

Still submit both, there is no harm in doing so. Just say in the cover letter you can't speak or read German. They may still be happy to see you made an effort to get it translated in their native language. Also can show you are more serious about the jobs you are applying for.

I have seen a few jobs posted in German there but when translated it states good English speaker or English speakers only. Dont know why if they only post it in German. I'm still confused by that.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    That's a bit silly that they'd only have it in German if they only care about English language. I did look around on a few sites for jobs and there were a large number of English speaking roles that never mentioned German.

I'm still probably at minimum a month out from starting to look for a job and having my resume up to date and shined up.

I'm a big fan of how great chrome translates those web pages over, but just wish that the indeed app did it too.
  • Options
    Just as more of an update, before my wife and I make any sort of decision we are planning on taking a trip over in the next couple of months to check out the different cities to see what life may look like there. Stay in an Airbnb in a few different cities and then wander the streets to get the vibe of those cities as well. Figure if we make this big of a decision we should at least put a full investigation into it.
  • Options
    Just wanted to add on a bit here as to the current plans. My wife and I will be visiting a couple of cities in Germany next month to get a feel of places out there and how we would feel about moving the whole family over and the advantages that they/we would have there. I haven't started searching for a new role yet, but have been contacted by a few recruiters just by changing the locations that I'm interested in work. I have a call scheduled with one on Monday and he did specify that the company would pay for all relocation costs, a car, and a job that would pay above what my current pay in the US is. I guess time will tell what comes of that one, but it's got me fairly optimistic for the future.

As far as when my next update will be, I don't know if it will be this week with a follow-up interview scheduled, or if it will be after my trip next month.
  • Options
    Just wanted to add on a bit here as to the current plans. My wife and I will be visiting a couple of cities in Germany next month to get a feel of places out there and how we would feel about moving the whole family over and the advantages that they/we would have there. I haven't started searching for a new role yet, but have been contacted by a few recruiters just by changing the locations that I'm interested in work. I have a call scheduled with one on Monday and he did specify that the company would pay for all relocation costs, a car, and a job that would pay above what my current pay in the US is. I guess time will tell what comes of that one, but it's got me fairly optimistic for the future.

As far as when my next update will be, I don't know if it will be this week with a follow-up interview scheduled, or if it will be after my trip next month.

What websites/methods are you using if you have been contacted by a few recruiters? I started apply for jobs in German this weekend, I still need to get my CV professional done but I am using what I have at the moment until I get my MCSE in Cloud and Infrastructure exam out the way next month.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• Options
    I haven't really started doing much other than change the location that I'm interested in Germany on linkedin. I haven't changed my status to actively looking but more or less interested in that area. Once I look full on I'll have an updated CV I'll use indeed.de stepstone as well as linkedin.
  • Options
    bidsecbidsec Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I haven't really started doing much other than change the location that I'm interested in Germany on linkedin. I haven't changed my status to actively looking but more or less interested in that area. Once I look full on I'll have an updated CV I'll use indeed.de stepstone as well as linkedin.

I wish you all the best, Germany is a nice and friendly place (atleast from my little experience).
  • Options
    Well, had my feeler out call with the headhunter and sounds like quite a promising role. I can't go into too many details as it's a pretty huge deal that will break in the near future, but there will be many openings that I can slide into doing really what I want to do.
  • Options
    As an update, that recruiting company pretty much ghosted me so not sure what the deal is with that. Oh well, considering that I put zero effort into finding that role and they found me I'm not too upset about that. I haven't really started my search yet, but after I have my wife 100% convinced that it's the right move I will be ready to jump.

We just got back from our trip in Germany and it was amazing and the people were all so nice. With the conversations that we had with both locals as well as expats it really convinced me that it's the right direction and my wife is still processing it all. The country was so nice and having the wide variety of ways of transportation would make it super easy getting around. Even though I don't speak the language well it wasn't that difficult figuring things out and communicating with those who didn't speak English. Now I just need to remember that I don't have to reply back to Americans here in German.
  • Options
    biggenebiggene Member Posts: 153 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That sucks, but typical of most recruiters I have encountered over my 25+ years of IT.
    That being said, I am jealous as can be of you. If my ex would even begin to agree to something like this I would start packing now, unfortunately, all she wants is child support. I would love to be able to raise my kids in Germany or New Zealand.

I wish you absolutely all the best of luck sir. Chase your dreams man, most people go to their graves never have done anything of the sort.
  • Options
    Yeah its crap when that happens. Had a phone interview for a role in Switzerland 3 weeks ago, still waiting for the Skype interview which was meant to happen the first week in September. Nothing yet so I don't think it will happen.

Also had another call from a job in Munich but they needed someone who could speak fluent German aswell as English. My German isn't that good yet but they was meant to call me back about another role and still nothing.

Once my final exam is out the way, hopefully in a few weeks. I will get my Linkedin profile created and go in heavy from there.
    Certifications:

• Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As an update, that recruiting company pretty much ghosted me so not sure what the deal is with that. Oh well, considering that I put zero effort into finding that role and they found me I'm not too upset about that. I haven't really started my search yet, but after I have my wife 100% convinced that it's the right move I will be ready to jump.

We just got back from our trip in Germany and it was amazing and the people were all so nice. With the conversations that we had with both locals as well as expats it really convinced me that it's the right direction and my wife is still processing it all. The country was so nice and having the wide variety of ways of transportation would make it super easy getting around. Even though I don't speak the language well it wasn't that difficult figuring things out and communicating with those who didn't speak English. Now I just need to remember that I don't have to reply back to Americans here in German.

Good luck, I enjoyed Germany when I visited there for work several years ago. You should apply to be on an episode of House Hunters International! :)
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    Yea, I am not terribly shocked and it is possible since the potential client is a very large corporation that they take their sweet time with these things and the recruiter is in the dark as well. I have seen that happen in the past when a job I applied for takes forever to contact me for an interview (6 months after I applied) and I declined because by that point I already had a new job that I liked. But I've seen it happen both ways I honestly, I'm not even "looking" quite yet so I can't be too concerned.

Now, I just need to get my wife on board. One way or another I'll make the dream happen.
  • Options
    LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LordQarlyn wrote: »
    Yes try to learn the language, I took Chinese 101 in college when I was 40, so you can pick up German. Learn the cultural mores, manners, and traditions. (tip if you don't know this already, the "OK" sign in America is usually seen as vulgar in Germany, but culturally aware Germans will probably know you don't mean bad by it), and practice them.

I learned that lesson real quick. When standing for extended times or leaning against something, I usually stand with one foot down, and the other foot crossing over it with the tow down and soul of the shoe facing outward. On my first day in the Middle East, it was pointed out that in that culture, that was a huge insult. Luckily I didn't offend anyone with it, but it took a while to break that habit. Like I always said about being in a foreign country, be aware and blend in.
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

• Options
    Thought I'd bump this back up.   I started applying seriously back at the beginning of November and have had a few interviews thus far, but the ones I have had, they loved me, but not what I would need salary wise.   And it was fine on that point as I can be picky right now and find the right place to go in at the right level of work/job that I want.  As of this morning I have 2 more interviews lined up with larger companies in the country doing the type of work that I'd want to be in, instead of settling for less just to get there.   I've talked to a few managers/directors that I interviewed with and they gave me some great advice as to how to increase my chances of this coming true.   Being that it is still in the "slow" hiring season most places, I've been getting quite a few contacts from companies and headhunters.   

Against other advice, I have only submitted an English CV, but ALWAYS custom edit them to show my strengths in my experience with the roles I have had to put me above others.   Also, the Cover Letter is supremely important in Germany and really gives the company a chance to see why I have the motivation I do to relocate there. 
  • Options
    And add another interview scheduled.   Gonna be busy I guess. 
  • Options
    Had the first interview with the large company in Germany and I felt it went very well.  I should hear back next week as to what the next steps will be.  I also found out that they have 2 large data centers in the same city I live in here in the US.   1 down, 2 more to go as I got yet another interview request for Thursday morning.   
    In the meantime, my current company gave me a promotion and a more fun role, so worst case I'm still moving up and growing in my career. 
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Nice.
    I have had few interviews for jobs in Germany since I passed my final in September.  Along with Switzerland, Sweden (they flew me over there for that one) and Luxembourg.
    Even with me living in the UK and Brexit happening, process seems to be more difficult that I thought as they take so long to get back to you.
    Certifications:

• Options
    LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So, just kinda forcing your wife to go with this or did you finally break her down about it?

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • Options
    My wife is on board with this and I just have to reassure her as she does get anxiety about major things like moving to another continent.   Also I did have my 2nd interview yesterday which I think went ok, but would have been better had it not been at 6am my time in the morning which meant I had to get up a bit earlier than normal and wasn't as sharp as I am usually.   I do have a 1st interview tomorrow with a company and another 2nd interview with another next week.  I should hopefully hear the next step with the one I had yesterday by the end of this week.  I'm definitely crossing my fingers on that one.
  • Options
    devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dont forget about taxes.  You may end up having to pay both German and US taxes. 
  • Options
    I won't make enough to have to pay both US and Germany taxes, and when my wife goes back to work she'd still be in the same situation where even combined we won't exceed the limit for US taxes on income earned abroad. 
  • Options
    As a bump on this thread, I had 2 interviews last month, but haven't done any further job searching as life has gotten in the way as well as starting a new role at my current employer.  Heard back from one of the companies and they are inviting me to fly to Germany to meet them and see the company and city to see if it would be a good fit.  Definitely sounds promising with them putting that kind of investment into me to fly there as it's not exactly a cheap trip.   

One could say that I'm just a tad excited.  So I'll get the details on my trip soon and will be heading over there in early April. 
  • Options
    Thoth_DhwtyThoth_Dhwty Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As a bump on this thread, I had 2 interviews last month, but haven't done any further job searching as life has gotten in the way as well as starting a new role at my current employer.  Heard back from one of the companies and they are inviting me to fly to Germany to meet them and see the company and city to see if it would be a good fit.  Definitely sounds promising with them putting that kind of investment into me to fly there as it's not exactly a cheap trip.   

One could say that I'm just a tad excited.  So I'll get the details on my trip soon and will be heading over there in early April. 

That sounds really promising. I wish you all the best and hope it goes well. 
     I've been moving around countries from Romania to UK, UK to Caribbean Islands, back to UK and it's all a good experience. Best thing is getting to meet new people and different cultures. Seeing from the excitement in your posts I really think you will enjoy this move.
  • Options

That sounds really promising. I wish you all the best and hope it goes well. 
     I've been moving around countries from Romania to UK, UK to Caribbean Islands, back to UK and it's all a good experience. Best thing is getting to meet new people and different cultures. Seeing from the excitement in your posts I really think you will enjoy this move.
    Thanks.  I'm excited to see where this leads to of course.  While my wife at times has been wavering on it, she was very excited to see this opportunity for our family and was enthusiastic about me making the trip.  Hopefully I'll have more details on the plans by the end of the week.   When we took our trip back last fall to Germany we just enjoyed and embraced the people and culture there.  Not to mention the historical aspects of the country as a whole and the safer environment for our kids as well.  Clearly with the invitation it's a great sign as they are making that kind of investment into bringing me there.  And even better is that the housing hasn't reached the absurd levels that a city like Munich has so we will be able to afford a much nicer home to live in as well.