What is your commute like?

CyberCop123CyberCop123 Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
Mine is:

50ish minute drive. All along main roads so its not too bad.  I have a work car for commuting which is helpful 

However I do get a bit fed up with it

I have been offered a few jobs in London in the past where the commute is 60 minutes by train into London.  Then a tube/subway to wherever the company is 

The days when the train runs without issues is fine but that's not always the case.  Also getting a seat is difficult coming back. 
My Aims
2017: OSCP -
COMPLETED
2018: CISSP -
COMPLETED
2019: GIAC GNFA - Advanced Network Forensics & Threat Hunting -
COMPLETED
           GIAC GREM - Reverse Engineering of Malware -
COMPLETED

2021: CCSP
2022: OSWE (hopefully)

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    15 min drive to train station, 35 min train, 10 min walk to office.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    about 40mins public transport
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    15 minute drive out, 20 minute drive back.
  • Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    45 mins drive, 15 minutes bus
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    edited March 2019
    It's not so much the length of time of my commute as it is the aggravating crush of Southern California freeway traffic that is a pain to me.
  • jumblerrjumblerr Member Posts: 101 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Morning commute: 5 min to bus stop, 50 min bus, 10 walk to office=~65-70 minutes
    Evening commute: 10 walk to bus station, wait for bus 10 min, bus ride 70 min, bus stop to home 5 min=~95 minutes

Then again I only go to the office 3 days a week. 
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Five minute bike ride to the train station. 
    55 minutes from my city to the station near my office (this includes the transfer time between the train and the metro).
    Five minute walk from the station to my desk.

I am happy with my commute time. I get so much reading done with close to two hours on public transportation four days per week. Plus since my promotion I never stay in the office a full eight hours. I do not drive to the office often, but when I do it is about 40 minutes, but I prefer the train so I can save on gas, less wear & tear on the car, I like to read, and my company pays for my train pass. 
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • jt2929jt2929 Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    5 minute drive to work, 5 minute drive home.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    edited March 2019
    ~10 mins there and back.  It was a huge factor in me selecting this new position.  Time is money.......
  • DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Old job: 30 minutes door to door with toll highway
    New job: 5 minute drive to the train station, 15 minute wait, 40 minute train ride, 15 minute walk to the office = 1 hr and 15 minutes total time. 

• 10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    20-25 min drive each way, almost zero traffic during commute. Would be faster, but 50% of the total distance is spent in low speed / bedroom community roads. 
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Currently about 15 minutes each way with no traffic. It's one of the reasons I am taking my sweet time changing jobs.

I would expect 30-40 minutes will be my next commute with moderate traffic.
  • Azt7Azt7 Member Posts: 121 ■■■■□□□□□□
    30mn each way : 5mn bus -> 15mn metro -> 5mn walk to  office. 

It's hard to leave the job with such a great commute  :D 
    Certifications : ITIL, MCSA Office 365, MCSE Productivity, AWS CSAA, Azure Architect, CCSK, TOGAF
    Studying for :  TBD
  • Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 Registered Users Posts: 191 ■■■■■□□□□□
    15 minutes on freeway to get to work
    15 minutes on back streets to get home
    Current: Network+ | Project+ 
    Working on: PMP
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    37 minutes on a good day.. an hour or so on hellish days.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Depends. My commute to work is only around 8 minutes or so, no traffic at all. But my girlfriend doesn't drive, so when I have to take her to work every day, It's 25 to 30 minutes to drop her off at work and 30 to 35 minutes for me to get to work. I'm moving closer to her work next month, so it will be 10 minutes to drop her off and 30 to 35 minutes for me to get to work.   
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ~10 mins there and back.  It was a huge factor in me selecting this new position.  Time is money.......
    Same as this.   Would hate to drive even 30 minutes one way again unless I absolutely had to.  Life is too short... money isn't everything... Got 2 young kids at home so maybe my view on that will change when they get older (assume wouldn't feel the same if I lived by myself either)
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    about 8-10 min the morning.  same at nigh unless I am leaving between between 16h45 to 17h15, at those moment, it is taking 12-15 min.

So very nice commute. 

• november24november24 Member Posts: 76 ■■■■□□□□□□
    15 min drive to train station, 35 min train, 10 min walk to office.
    Same here, except the walk to office stage is about 3 minutes.
  • Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The most I could stand is up to 30 miles one way, so 60 miles two ways, which is about 45-50 minute each way depending on traffic.  If I'm commuting that far than I would probably live near my work.  
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Guess I'm the big winner here...90 minutes one way due to traffic.  If it's late at night or in the afternoon 50 minutes tops.  I listen to a lot of Audible!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have a choice between three commutes:
    52 miles
    76 miles
    138 miles

I usually stick to the 52 miles.

The commute is no big deal. Usually takes me about 30-35 min. and gives me time to wind down before I get home. Overall, I would prefer to have it than not have it if given a choice. Also, gives me time to review study material on the way there.

My car gets 50-55mpg highway so no problem there either. I bought it specifically because of the commute I knew I would have.
  • CyberCop123CyberCop123 Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Which do you prefer:

A) CAR

or

B) PUBLIC TRANSPORT

I guess the biggest consideration is reliability.  E.g. public transport may be better if it's on time and reliable.  

Advantage for public transport is that you can sometimes wind down after work by having a drink, or watching Netflix.  Disadvantage is that often you're squashed in for an hour with others or stood up without a seat and tired.  

Car on the other hand, you set the temperature, you have the radio, you're alone and can relax to some degree more. However it is dead time (obviously you can listen to radio, podcasts etc...) but ultimately you're still staring at the road and unable to do much more than drive. 

My Aims
    2017: OSCP -
    COMPLETED
    2018: CISSP -
    COMPLETED
    2019: GIAC GNFA - Advanced Network Forensics & Threat Hunting -
    COMPLETED
               GIAC GREM - Reverse Engineering of Malware -
    COMPLETED

2021: CCSP
    2022: OSWE (hopefully)
  • Domm362Domm362 Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    25-30 minute drive for me. Sometimes a little faster if traffic isn't too bad.
    "Winners focus on winning. Losers focus on winners."
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Between sixty and eighty minutes (35mi) in the morning and if I leave around 1800 (or later) it gets marginally gets better. The best drive home was leaving around 18:30.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• AvgITGeekAvgITGeek Member Posts: 342 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Job I just left was about 15 - 20 minutes to and about 35 home as it is driving towards the city. New job should be around 35 to and from but I'll know more when I take a test drive in Thursday morning to gauge the actual drive time.
  • ClickClackClickClack Member Posts: 24 ■■■□□□□□□□
    About 35 minutes by car on a good day; 60 or more on a bad day.

It is about 60 minutes by bicycle but 10 minutes less after a few trips..
  • LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    10-15 minute drive depending on traffic.  About 20 door-to-door.  35-40 if I take the bus, but it arrives at inconvenient times.  35 or so if I take an express bus and train but then I have to switch.

I usually just drive, or if it's nice out, bike.  Biking is the fastest at about 10-12 minutes.
  • LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Get out of bed, go to desk, login.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    10 minutes both ways or 20 minutes by bike when the weather permits.
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!