Network & Security role

britchick01britchick01 Registered Users Posts: 8 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey all, 

I'm looking to get into a Network & Security role. I am currently on a service desk.

I was wondering what type of exams do i need to go for to get basic fundamentals etc? I'm looking to do the Network+ exam but was thinking if anyone had any ideas on what to go for or look into more?

Thanks!

Comments

• MrsWilliamsMrsWilliams Member Posts: 192 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Go to indeed.com. Type in what you are looking for. Then, see what the hiring managers are looking for. That is probably the best technique. 

What Company 1 wants for a -Network & Security Role - isn't going to mirror what Company 2 wants for a - Network & Security Role -

Networking and Security Role. Interesting.  :/ 

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm gonna get people to disagree with this, but I'd say go straight to your CCNA if you want to get into networking and skip the Net+.  I'm not saying the Net+ has bad info on it... just think the CCNA covers most introductory material good enough and holds way more value.   (would recommend the 2 test route to the CCNA to anyone skipping the Net+)

Also, you'll probably just want to look into Networking positions and not be too focused on finding one that says "Networking and Security".   You will be dealing with security in some way or another in networking positions anyways... 

Get a book or some videos on the CCENT exam, download packet tracer or get some equipment, and get to work.   Just my 2 cents! 
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm gonna get people to disagree with this, but I'd say go straight to your CCNA if you want to get into networking and skip the Net+.  I'm not saying the Net+ has bad info on it... just think the CCNA covers most introductory material good enough and holds way more value.   

Agreed
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'm gonna get people to disagree with this, but I'd say go straight to your CCNA if you want to get into networking and skip the Net+.  I'm not saying the Net+ has bad info on it... just think the CCNA covers most introductory material good enough and holds way more value.   

Agreed
    And more importantly saves on cost if you're paying out of pocket! The other recommendation is to start doing labs on the side to help expedite your learning. There are personal labs that you can build out and computer based training websites to help leverage your security knowledge like LinuxAcademy that have great content to work with it. 
  • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm gonna get people to disagree with this, but I'd say go straight to your CCNA if you want to get into networking and skip the Net+.  I'm not saying the Net+ has bad info on it... just think the CCNA covers most introductory material good enough and holds way more value.   (would recommend the 2 test route to the CCNA to anyone skipping the Net+)

:D  I'm here.  :D

To anyone going into Network Security:
    Please don't skip Network+ as it gives you a much better base in understanding networks and networking which will enable you to be better at what you (plan to) do... which is secure them.
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□

Please don't skip Network+ as it gives you a much better base in understanding networks and networking which will enable you to be better at what you (plan to) do... which is secure them.
    Network+ is lacking the much needed hands on to be a network tech. Why not read the material and then jump straight into CCNA
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• britchick01britchick01 Registered Users Posts: 8 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks everyone for the replies

With only basic fundamentals and to get a better grasp on networking, i thought the network+ was the best way to go  :)
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    thanks everyone for the replies

With only basic fundamentals and to get a better grasp on networking, i thought the network+ was the best way to go  :)
    CCENT starts out very basic.  Don't need to know much, if anything, going in.  I think the CCNA sounds more intimidating and scares off people... if you are actually interested in learning networking it is fun to study for and shouldn't be a problem.   Getting to play around and actually configure networks makes it 100 times more enjoyable imo.    I have taken and have both a CCNA and Net+ certs and (WARNING: total personal opinion incoming) wish I wouldn't have wasted the money/time on the Net+ 
  • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    edited March 2019
    mikey88 said:

Network+ is lacking the much needed hands on to be a network tech. Why not read the material and then jump straight into CCNA

Yes, this is exactly what I usually advise on here.

Edit:
    No need to spend the $ on the exam but the depth in information is very useful for understanding.

I'm very glad I studied N+, or I probably would have been very discouraged going straight into ICND1. It would have irked me not to understand things in more depth, and this is exactly what one needs when working in Network Security... a depth of understanding.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Personally, I would have struggled going right into the CCNA and skipping the Network+. But I was unusually hard-headed in learning subnetting, and this took me about six attempts over a year or so before it finally stuck while preparing for the CCNA.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP