Question regarding gaining CPEs and knowledge

Cora_PanCora_Pan Member Posts: 26 ■■□□□□□□□□
Regarding gaining CPEs for CISSP certification:
- are the the IT / Cyber-Security courses from LinkedIn Learning recognized by (ISC) ²?
On the certificate is only mentioned the duration of the course (e.g. 2 h 50 min) but not explicit the number of CPEs.
What other sources for gaining CPEs are known?

Thanks!

Comments

• SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    1 hour = 1 CPE  by 15 min increment. 

Just make sure you can prove you did it, in case of audit. 
  • Cora_PanCora_Pan Member Posts: 26 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your response!
  • securitychopssecuritychops Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I listen to the "Security Now!" podcast on my way to/from work and use that for CPEs as well.  It works great cause they always cover multiple topics and they even provide full transcripts of the entire show that I will upload when logging the CPEs.

The podcast is available from pretty much all normal locations, plus it can be downloaded from his site too if you want to go that route: https://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm
    Current Certs   : OSCE, OSCP, CISSP, Pentest+, Security+, SLAE, SLAE64
    Goals for 2019 : OSEE
    Goals for 2020 : OSWE
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Cora_Pan said:
    What other sources for gaining CPEs are known?
    I obtain the majority of my CPEs by watching videos on Youtube that I find interesting - usually Adrian Crenshaw recordings of various security conference talks. I find it a lot more effective for my own needs. 
  • Cora_PanCora_Pan Member Posts: 26 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks a lot for the new suggestions regarding how to gain CPEs.

@ Paul78: Regarding watching the YouTube videos: how can you provide that you watched the videos? Did you get some certificate or any confirmation where the time you spent watching the security videos is mentioned (so that the CPEs could be really calculated)?
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    @Cora_Pan  I would take a fullscreen  screenshot of the Youtube page with the date and time of the day and keep it in case of an audit. It is not fullproof but it is better than nothing. 

In my case, I would make sure that not all my 120CPE on the 3 years cycle are Youtube videos, I would be afraid that in case of an audit, they write off a few of this. I try to do at least 55-60 CPE a year so I dont have to worry about the end of the cycle, and I would be able to support a few write off. 
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @Cora_Pan - I just list the URL when I submit the CPE. I've been audited before and I don't think the youtube videos were flagged. What got flagged instead were some workshops that I taught.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Workshops and presentations used to be a good source but unless your willing to submit video of yourself teaching have been left in my 'pending' box for months. Vendor presentations and conferences still make up a good portion of my time. Classes of various sort make up the bulk of my actual hours. SANS institute get an immediate pass. Coursera hasn't been a problem. Udemy - no thanks, no idea.

For class B credits I usually do Great courses or Coursera. That seems to work well.

- b/eads