Options

Certs Renewal Option

Thoth_DhwtyThoth_Dhwty Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□

Hi all,

I recently started looking back at my certs renewal options. Kind of left it drag on and my certificates will expire in 2020 June. (A+, Net+, Sec+)
 Which option would be beast or easier to pursue? Would I be able to earn enough CEUs in the time left or should I pursue another cert which will renew them all? Maybe CySA+ ?

Please advice, thank you.

Comments

• Options
    PseudonymousPseudonymous Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Personally I would just go for another cert. If you're going in order and want to do CompTIA, the next step would be choosing from CySA+ or PenTest+. I haven't taken either yet, but if you're interested in Security it couldn't hurt to take one of them. Also remember that you can get CEU's from other industry certifications as well. Since you have Security+, there's a ton of other industry certifications you can get that would automatically renew all 3 of them at once. Here's a link to all of them.

Certifications: A+, N+, S+, CCNA: CyberOps, eJPT, ITIL, etc.
  • Options
    Thoth_DhwtyThoth_Dhwty Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□

Great, thanks.

So I am looking at CySA+ and CCNA Security, tho' the CCNA Security requires CCENT as a prerequisite which would mean a lot longer and more studying probably. Of course the question would be what my plan is and where do I indent to go with my career. At this point to be honest I found out my certs didn't help me secure a position in IT field, but at the moment working as a Data Admin I'm only focusing on gaining that IT experience and hope for a better job in the future. Meanwhile I'm thinking at least I could study some more and keep my certs active.

From any of you who undergone the CySA+ exam, is it difficult to achieve ? I understand it's different from person to person but as compared to the Sec+ is it a lot harder ? I found Net+ and Sec+ manageable and not so scary as other claim.
  • Options
    fitzlopezfitzlopez Member Posts: 103 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did the CySA+ on the CSA+ Beta, I didn't have to current CySA+ books but I've since read them on safari online. I think that having read those,  the only difficult part would be the performance based questions. It was a good workout before I did the CCNA Cyber Ops. I'd recommend you also read both the SEC FND and SEC Ops from Cisco, they have some material overlap with the CySA+.

I recommend a higher Certification for renewal, comptia is wonderful in that their maintenance fee tops at $50 dlls. So I think it's better to get the full track. I've been thinking that once I do the CASP, I'll be on the lookout for the betas of lower certs just because they will still renew for the $50 dlls