Is this CCNA lab kit on Ebay a decent deal?

TechnicalJayTechnicalJay Member Posts: 219 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I'm currently looking for a CCNA lab kit and found the one listed below on ebay. Would this be a good kit for CCNA R:S and then afterwards buying an ASA5505 or ASA5510 for the CCNA Security?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Cisco-CCENT-CCNA-CCNP-LAB-KIT-2x-2851-2821-15-1-IOS-2x-3550-24-L3/253309333244?hash=item3afa69aefc:g:PZsAAOSwPpZaMHWv

Thanks.

Comments

• labscloudlabscloud Member Posts: 137 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That will work, or you could use Packet Tracer and fully pass the exam and save the $$ for your Security Lab or NP studies. Packet Tracer alone is enough to pass the CCNA R/S exam, that's what I did.
  • clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    well as usual, people buy hardware and the cisco exams are on how the ios works. They don't tell you what the ios is. why is that? probably because they want you to think your getting what you want. And, I don't know, but it probably isn't.

3550's are so old they don't do modern security. They don't do ssh, or even ipv6. probably other stuff also.

the routers aren't bad. but they don't say what the ios feature set is. you will need the advanced security feature set is your going to do ccna:security with them. and advanced services if want to do ipv6. not sure what shipping is, but those routers weight about 25 lbs each. add the two switches and your at 72 lbs + packaging. Don't know if that can be shipped in a single package. So, two somewhat heavy packages. That is going to cost you more.
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For the NA - Packet Tracer is more than enough for you. I wouldn't sweat getting a physical lab for it.
  • jamesindcjamesindc Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I know Packet Tracer is enough for the CCENT part of the CCNA, but is it going to be enough for the ICND2 test?
  • PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited March 2019
    jamesindc said:
    I know Packet Tracer is enough for the CCENT part of the CCNA, but is it going to be enough for the ICND2 test?

Yes.
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Packet tracer is more than enough to pass basic CCNA R/S exams (ICND1 + ICND2 or 200-125 composite). GNS3 is better for CCNA security if you want to get a true understanding of the material but hardware is better for CCNA collaboration.

Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A few things to note.

1st - You can do CCNA with just packet tracer. You will do fine with the theory.
    2nd - You will learn practical things with a home lab that you just don't get in a simulator.
    3rd - GNS3 is a great addition to packet tracer as it allows you the full featured IOS.

I think tinkering with a home lab and getting it to work is very rewarding. With a simulation you are less likely to plug a cable into the wrong port or forget to turn something on. I keep my lab in my basement and work on it remotely from my office. It's funny how many times I have to run down stairs to try and figure out what I am doing wrong. It's great practice for working remotely. But for learning theory it's a lot of wasted time.
  • GDainesGDaines Member Posts: 273 ■■■□□□□□□□
    clarson, nice to see you're still active, hope you're well.

I'm one of those in the "you can't beat working on real kit" camp. To be honest I've never loaded a simulator, just used a physical lab for my studies. I've got to agree with clarson, the 50-series switches are just so old now, even 3 years ago I made sure all mine were 60-series (2960, 3560). I've only got 12.2/15.0 lanbase IOS for my 2960's, but on my 3560's I have ipservices IOS. Be advised, if I recall correctly the PoE 3560's only have 16mb FLASH so don't have enough space to install IOS 15.0 so either stick with non-PoE TS models, or get something newer like a 3560G which are getting cheaper all the time.

Careful with the ASA's as, while I appreciate the routers and switches are effectively obsolete models which work fine for studying in a lab environment, I'm not sure if the same can be said for firewalls. Seek advice from someone that has one.