Got a Letter of Termination Yesterday.....

Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
  So I was working for a ISP since January 21st, and 2 hours into my shift yesterday, my Manager told me to walk with her. We went upstairs to her Manager's office who told me to close the door and have a seat. She then said to me, "Nathan, we are so sorry...." and slid a paper to me (my Manager and her stared at the floor, fighting back tears of emotion). So I read the letter and I just stared at it shaking as it felt like I just got punched in the stomach. I then looked at them and said, "I don't understand...why?"  The letter didn't state as to why I was being terminated but was given a number to call Corporate which was in a different province. "Your a great employee and a great person to work with, but I'll need to ask for your card as there is nothing else we can do. We will miss you and wish you the best." I surrendered my card, shook her hand, then walked out with my manager behind me. When we got to the bottom of the stairs, my stuff was already in a bag by the side door. She picked it up along with my jacket and handed it to me (at this point I'm emotional). She gave me a hug and bid me good luck.
  It goes to show that my managers and co-workers cared about me and will miss me. Corporate called me back this morning and said that the reason as to why they terminated me immediately was because I just wasn't up to speed as quickly as they thought I was. The reason why my managers showed emotion was because they didn't know they were terminating anyone...until they got the letter. On the bright side, I have 2 solid references from there I can use.

Not all employment is about greed and policies. I was lucky to work for one who cared about it's employees and work alongside great people. On to the next job search......
Certification Goals 2020: CCNA, Security+

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill

Comments

• NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited March 2019
    I have been let go before.  Typically, in scenarios like this the problem is with the company, and not you.  Maybe, hey had to reduce positions due to budget cuts.

I think you were doing just fine, because it sounds like your managers were NOT aware they were terminating someone.  Can you use your managers for a reference?

When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have been let go before.  Typically the problem is with the company, and not you.  I think you were doing just fine, because it sounds like your manager were NOT aware they were terminating someone.

They weren't aware. Corporate can monitor the employees and how their doing and I guess I made a few mistakes during my probation and was thus terminated.
    Certification Goals 2020: CCNA, Security+

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill
  • PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    God this is awful. Hope you're back on your feet soon mate.
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 Registered Users Posts: 191 ■■■■■□□□□□
    edited March 2019
    I worked for a company that collapsed just 9 months after i started there. It was my first IT job and it was "that" experience that got me my next job. Just like what @NetworkingStudent has listed: When one door closes, another opens.
    Current: Network+ | Project+ 
    Working on: PMP
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    If your managers were reporting your performance metrics to Corporate they should have seen this coming in your numbers. I don't know about Canada, but for performance-related terminations in the US there is usually at least one warning of poor performance occurring and a chance to correct the problems with your mentor.
  • AvgITGeekAvgITGeek Member Posts: 342 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited March 2019
    JDMurray said:
    If your managers were reporting your performance metrics to Corporate they should have seen this coming in your numbers. I don't know about Canada, but for performance-related terminations in the US there is usually at least one warning of poor performance occurring and a chance to correct the problems with your mentor.
    Not in "At will" employment states. The employer can let you go just as easily as you ditch them.

Nafe92014, as others have said, this will lead to more open doors. Get manager's approvals for references and go forward.

• McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    AvgITGeek said:
    JDMurray said:
    Not in "At will" employment states. The employer can let you go just as easily as you ditch them.

Nafe92014, as others have said, this will lead to more open doors. Get manager's approvals for references and go forward.

Yep, in "right to work" states like mine, you can be fired simply because your boss doesn't like the color of your socks. They don't even have to give you a reason if they don't want to.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
    Yes, but an "at will" termination (like we have in California) will not give a specific reason for the termination like in this case. A generic, non-personal reason (e.g., "position no longer required") will be given to avoid the legal possibility of suing for "termination without just cause" or something similar. In this case, the reason given was personal and sounds like it could be backed up with factual data.

I'm wondering what effort "Corporate" might have made to correct this perceived performance problem before initiating termination. If the answer is "nothing" then it may be a business that isn't managed very well and not worth working at or Corporate is lying about the actual reason for termination (e.g., budgeting problems caused the job requisition to be canceled).
    McxRisley said:
    Yep, in "right to work" states like mine, you can be fired simply because your boss doesn't like the color of your socks. They don't even have to give you a reason if they don't want to.

"Right to Work" and "Employment at Will" are not the same thing, although often confused with one another.
  • McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    JDMurray said:
    McxRisley said:

"Right to Work" and "Employment at Will" are not the same thing, although often confused with one another.
    Ah you are right, I got them confused. But I did just find out my state is both, fun times here in Indiana lol
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sure it is real brutal, but probation serve this purpose. In Canada (he is talking about province.. so I assume Canada), after 1-2 years in a position, you are getting real hard to fire. 
  • Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is unfortunate it was done that way @Nafe92014. Hope you find another place soon.

For employees, a harsh reminder that nobody is too important in a company. If they don't need you, that's it.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited March 2019

You manager was almost in tears after you only been there two months? Sounds like this manager is a little too emotional for her position. If you been there for several years I could see her getting upset, but two months?

Also so much for 90 days probation.  

Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I am sorry to hear that. I have been terminated in many ways. It sucks.  Cyberhugs to you and try to keep busy.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....