Options

Cisco Newbie

bowmattybowmatty Member Posts: 107 ■■■□□□□□□□
HI guys, 
I was wondering what you used to help study for and pass the CCENT/CCNA exams? Im using Neil Anderson's Udemy course, and have packet tracer and GN3s installed. 
Looking for a good book to go along with it and a phone app (if any)??

Thanks all 

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I only really hear about two authors and mostly on this site.
    Todd Lammle - easier to read
    Wendell Odem - More detailed.

I used Odem 5 years ago and had no problem with the style. I plan to use Lammle when I renew this year just for a different perspective.
    I would love to hear about any iphone apps. I mostly study on my computer but it's always good to have mobile choices.
  • Options
    AvgITGeekAvgITGeek Member Posts: 342 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Udemy: Chris Bryant. Look for his CCNA course and there is bonus CCNA:Security bundled with it. There is also a Udemy packet tracer lab course by David Bombal (spelling) that I purchased because I heard good things about it. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to really dig into that as I've had an abrupt job change which pulled me back into the world of SQL Server. I can vouch for the Chris Bryant courses though. Good stuff!
  • Options
    bowmattybowmatty Member Posts: 107 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys! 

If anyone knows of a good phone app please let me know :smile:

• Options
    DFTK13DFTK13 Member Posts: 176 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I recommend Wendell Odom's ICND1/D2 books, especially that you've not taken the exam before. Lammle's book was a bit too condensed and did not explain concepts thoroughly in my opinion, yes I have both books. Then after you read the Odom book, I would strongly suggest you review with either the Lammle book or CCNA in 60 days by paul browning. Also the 101 Labs for the Cisco CCNA book by the same author and just practice labbing it. Then finish it up with Boson ExSim Max about a week before you take the exam. 

I've yet to come across a good app for CCNA practice, this exam has too much content to effectively study it on the phone besides using the kindle app and reading.

Good luck! 
    Certs: CCNA(200-301), Network+, A+, LPI Linux Essentials
    Goals: CCNP Enterprise(ENCOR + ENARSI), AWS CSA - Associate, Azure AZ-104, Become better at python, learn docker and kubernetes

Degree: A.S. Network Administration
    Pursuing: B.S. in I.T. Web and Mobile Development Concentration
  • Options
    AlwaysDogsAlwaysDogs Member Posts: 7 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't know of any phone apps, but I would like to second Chris Bryant as a provider of an awesome video course.