I'm in a Bind 5 years help desk exp but I've been told I don't have enough exp and A+ won't help?
I applied to over 200 job openings. Heard back from about 30 of them. Got 10 interviews. All said I lacked experience and my dream company told me i haven't furthered my education enough. I was trying to get into implementation and/or consulting but I'm also interested in security/IT Auditing. Do certs help get you in the door in those industries even if you have no experience whatsoever? Some of the other feedback I have received from another forum was:
1. These jobs are too advanced for your skill level/You don't have any marketable skills in IT.
2. A+ cert won't help you b/c you stayed in help desk too long. How was I supposed to know this? So how do I get certified in something I have no exp in and didn't even know existed up until a few minutes ago?
3. You have one year exp that stretched into 5 years. Leave. Uh, I need a job...
4. Why don't you self-study? B/c I don't know wtf to self-study and I haven't been introduced to anything new in the industry in about 3 years. Everything is now cloud/subscription based which the charity i work for cannot afford and don't want to invest in their technology. It's been a real hindrance in my professional development b/c I'll admit I'm lazy when it comes to self-study and do much better in classroom/e-learning environment and those things are expensive.
5. Why don't you get a cert? I attempted the MCSA one time last year and the material that I studied didn't match the material on the test whatsoever and it went way over my head. This appears to be a sign that I'm not cut out for some of the more technical positions in IT.
6. Get another help desk job at a bigger company. However, I don't really want to be working help desk five years from NOW, hoping that I land somewhere with great professional development, networking opportunities where people will notice me, with benefits and a living salary. (All my cowokers who I trained and left for another position are still doing the same help desk type stuff I am for a little more $$$) None of the level I help desk positions in my area pay much better than the job I have now, and most pay way worse like I'd rather work at McDonald's. They'd probably be way more stressful than the non-profit environment too.
7. Get out and get another job? Well apparently, I'm not even qualified for customer service positions since I haven't heard back from the 50-100 of such jobs I applied to...
So I take it from that feedback that I need a cert to advance my career even though I've been on help desk for five years (which is ridiculous I think). The problem is I do mostly everything at my non-technical non profit and I have no one to show me what this career track is like.
My family is full of traditional blue collar people who are business guys or some type of skilled engineers and who lived through times where staying loyal to a company for at least 5 years was the golden ticket. Well, I practically get laughed at for staying here for five years. It seems everything I do in this industry is wrong and I need a correction.
So I'm a little lost on my future direction. All I know is I need to get out of my company, cause of cost of living, wanting to start a family, wanting to advance professionally and mentally, feeling like I'm a useless password resetter etc... So what should I do from this point in order to get a new job in about a month or so? Any advice is appreciated and I hope my analysis doesn't sound as pitiful as I think it does, I'm just really frustrated.
Edit: I also have a BS in information systems. I have attached my resume if it helps.