Moving from NOVA area to Phoenix,AZ and had questions about jobs

stephenjakimstephenjakim Member Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello, I will be moving to Phoenix within the next year and had a few questions about the IT job market and availability over there currently. Obviously the NOVA market is the golden ticket for IT, but I've lived here my whole life and don't want to be here anymore, anyone who's live here for an amount of time can understand why.
I currently have my Security+ and work for SAIC for a DoD Contract doing telecom install and light work with switches/routers. I have my Security+ currently and no degree.
I know not having the degree will hurt me in other areas, but it is what it is and plan on getting it eventually, just wont be able to in time of moving. I want to try to see if I can move into a networking job possibly staying directly with the government as I have seen there are some there in the Phoenix area and was wondering what would be the best use of time currently in terms of what certs to get to help my position. I was looking at getting the ITIL v3 Foundation cert as a lot of people have told me it's good just to have for your resume for vision, and I also plan on getting CCNA or at least CENT by the time I start applying. Is there anything else I should plan for before I move and try to get a job out there?

Comments

• johndoeejohndoee Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You are currently doing telecom. You don't have any networking certifications. You only have Security+. You want to move into a networking role.

We have the foundation Sir. Now, I think it's best to work on that foundation so that you are in a great position for a potential networking role. 

You said light work with switches/routers. An interview would determine how light that work actually was. I personally feel as though obtaining CCNA would give you the knowledge, understanding, and foundation to obtain a junior networking role.

The NOVA area has more pros than cons in my point of view. But, the advantages are based on salaries which are based on experience, education, certifications (DOD Area), and level of clearance.

I think you have plenty of time to get CCNA. I am not saying don't go for ITIL, I am just saying that it probably won't land you a networking role.

Now, go be awesome!
  • BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've been in Phoenix 3 years now.  I feel like there is plenty of work here and a great community for mentorship.  I came from a really bad area for IT though.  If you're okay with going south look at Sierra Vista, AZ.  Fort Huachuca is there and has a ton of DOD work.

• stephenjakimstephenjakim Member Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I plan to get my CCNA in the next few months hopefully, and I did forget to mention that I do have a clearance, which I'd like to be able to continue using while over in Phoenix to help my job opportunities. 
    Do many people make the drive to Sierra Vista from Phoenix or would you be talking about living in that area as opposed to Phoenix?
  • BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I plan to get my CCNA in the next few months hopefully, and I did forget to mention that I do have a clearance, which I'd like to be able to continue using while over in Phoenix to help my job opportunities. 
    Do many people make the drive to Sierra Vista from Phoenix or would you be talking about living in that area as opposed to Phoenix?
    Phoenix would be too far (3hrs).  But you could live in Tuscon.  I know General Dynamics in in Phoenix and advertises roles.  Search LinkedIn for clearance roles I am sure there are plenty around Phoenix.
  • Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 Registered Users Posts: 191 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Just curious, what is NOVA?
    Current: Network+ | Project+ 
    Working on: PMP
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just curious, what is NOVA?
    Northern Virginia