New Google Cloud Security Certifications

Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
It looks like Google is releasing a new certification in the cloud security space! Do we have any folks working in cloud administration who are thinking of earning this cert? I'd be interested to see how it compares to the AWS security certification.
Community Manager at Infosec!
Who we are | What we do

Comments

• beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Google is woefully behind the curve here with Amazon. With that brand recognition will make it an interesting race to see who stays on top or stays in second place. As for YAC or Yet Another Cert. I am pretty 'meh' on the whole idea. When organizations start clamoring for it I will take a weekend off and knock one out. Hence why I haven't been seen in these parts lately. Though I do need to clean up some CEUs. Maybe I'll think about it.

b/eads
  • Azt7Azt7 Member Posts: 121 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Amazon came out with their security certification about a year ago and it still doesn't have much traction from my POV. Now, each of the cloud leaders have their own security certification (Azure just came out with theirs yesterday). 

How much weight will those vendor centric certs hold versus CCSP or even CCSK ? That's the most important question at this point.

They don't really belong in the same realm as the vendor-neutral certification have more architectural and risk-based weight in the industry while these cloud vendor certs are focused on enforcing technical controls.

It will be very interesting to see how it goes but as of now I doubt that employers will give it much value which renders it not very attractive to professionals. 
    Certifications : ITIL, MCSA Office 365, MCSE Productivity, AWS CSAA, Azure Architect, CCSK, TOGAF
    Studying for :  TBD
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yeah it will be interesting as to see where this goes with two major cloud providers and a dozen or so minor players in the market I really don't see an emerging leader anytime soon. Like I said, I will be more inclined to certify when business demand for them increases. Right now, I am not seeing anyone ask for any cloud cert by name.

Google has a huge name recognition but will that name transfer to certificate market penetration.

Dunno, but its going to be interesting to see.

b/eads
  • McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    These certs currently have no weight and aren't even on any companies radar at this point. My theory is that its just another market that Google is testing the waters in to see if they can make a buck.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Vendor-specific certs (e.g., Cisco, Microsoft, Juniper, Amazon, etc.) are used initially for training the employees of enterprises that will be using the technology. If you are a company that will be adopting Google's Cloud services then you will send your employees to training where they will receive Google certification. People with Google certs will be assumed to have hands-on experience with Google cloud technology although that isn't a requirement of the certs. If Google's Cloud service becomes a "hot technology" then people with Google certs will command a premium salary, just as happened with early adopters of AWS Cloud technology and certs.
  • LewisH95LewisH95 Member Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks, for this information, can you also explain to me what should I do to become Google certified Cloud Admin?

--
    Lewis
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @LewisH95 use this URL.... https://cloud.google.com/certification/cloud-security-engineer?utm_source=google&utm_medium=gcpblog&utm_campaign=cloud_security_trainingandcert

From there, you have to login as a webassessor to register for the exam

from google's website:
    How can I prepare for the exams?
    Real-world, hands-on experience is the best preparation. Our certification exams are designed to identify individuals who demonstrate skills using Google technology to perform critical job tasks. We list these tasks in our exam guides. Please refer to the individual exam pages to review the relevant exam guide and learning resources that we believe can help you build the foundation you need to get started.

Look at the exam and the prerequisites. I cannot see the files at this time. If it changes I will update this thread.

• DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A lot of YouTube "experts" are endorsing this over Security + and the ISC Cyber Analyst certification.  My wife started this journey about 1 month ago and has been grindings hard, trying to get out of nursing.  She has made it to module 3 and is an absolute beginner and it's bringing her along at a decent pace.  Of course this is just the beginning but from where she was and is now is a big difference.  
  • enrik87enrik87 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am not working in cloud administration, but I am interested in learning more about cloud security. I think it would be a valuable way to learn about cloud security. The certification is challenging, but it is also rewarding, I think.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    A lot of YouTube "experts" are endorsing this over Security + and the ISC Cyber Analyst certification.  My wife started this journey about 1 month ago and has been grindings hard, trying to get out of nursing.  She has made it to module 3 and is an absolute beginner and it's bringing her along at a decent pace.  Of course this is just the beginning but from where she was and is now is a big difference.  
    can confirm, I'm a YouTube 'expert' and I reviewed it in a video. You're spot on, it is designed for people with ZERO tech background. A few told me they were able to finish it within a few weeks and universally everyone said good things. I went through it quickly to review and it's a pretty solid intro to the field. 

it gives you 30% discount for Sec+ as well which is a great bonus and has nice labs that cover Python, SQL, and Linux. (basic level but solid). 
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    UnixGuy said:
    can confirm, I'm a YouTube 'expert' and I reviewed it in a video. You're spot on, it is designed for people with ZERO tech background. A few told me they were able to finish it within a few weeks and universally everyone said good things. I went through it quickly to review and it's a pretty solid intro to the field. 

it gives you 30% discount for Sec+ as well which is a great bonus and has nice labs that cover Python, SQL, and Linux. (basic level but solid). 
    It just hit me who you are, LOL.  We've (wife and I) have watched your videos together.  

My wife loves your video's you are her favorite and I am not just saying that. 

Sorry to fan boy, but I have known you a long time on here and wanted to give you that feedback!  Dating back to the days of N2IT.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    UnixGuy said:

It just hit me who you are, LOL.  We've (wife and I) have watched your videos together.  

My wife loves your video's you are her favorite and I am not just saying that. 

Sorry to fan boy, but I have known you a long time on here and wanted to give you that feedback!  Dating back to the days of N2IT.
    Glad to hear it mate!!! We go way back you're right!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE