Options

Best Certification(s) for Threat Intelligence

egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
Hi TE Community,

Can you all in Threat Intelligence share which certification path is best to prepare yourself for a job as a Threat Intelligence Analyst?  I had started making inquiries to get into this specialty in security as it's a very interesting and critical part of a company's cybersecurity posture.

If you can share why these certs are recommended for preparing you for threat intel that'll be awesome as well.  Thanks guys.
B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+

Comments

• Options
    McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I don't know of any certs that are compeletly centered around threat intelligence. Threat intelligence is more about staying up to date on current and upcoming threats. Not really a need for a certification for using google.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • Options
    LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    SANS has a Cyber Threat Intel course (FOR578). I'm not sure I've heard of any others.

Beyond that, you can always get into Threat Intel by being one of those people who finds the intel, in other words malware analysis, forensics, and even general blue team.

That said, maybe your "threat intel" is the OSINT kind, which I find lots of people try to get into and trawl the dark web and google things on other people. I'm skeptical of that overall value outside the security company that uses that info or the hobbyist at home.

To be honest, I'm not sold that a threat intel person is that required. For large business with actual threat models and, well, APTs that care to attack them, sure. But for the rest of us? I'm not sold.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    eLearnSecurity has a Threat Hunting Professional training and certification.
  • Options
    LonerVamp said:
    SANS has a Cyber Threat Intel course (FOR578). I'm not sure I've heard of any others.

Beyond that, you can always get into Threat Intel by being one of those people who finds the intel, in other words malware analysis, forensics, and even general blue team.

That said, maybe your "threat intel" is the OSINT kind, which I find lots of people try to get into and trawl the dark web and google things on other people. I'm skeptical of that overall value outside the security company that uses that info or the hobbyist at home.

To be honest, I'm not sold that a threat intel person is that required. For large business with actual threat models and, well, APTs that care to attack them, sure. But for the rest of us? I'm not sold.
    Awesome. Thanks LonerVamp :)
  • Options
    tedjames said:
    eLearnSecurity has a Threat Hunting Professional training and certification.
    Thanks Ted.  It looks like a winner!
  • Options
    PeterCranfordPeterCranford Member Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
    EC-Council offers ‘Certified Threat Intelligence Analyst’ certification which contains various steps involved in setting up a TI program (Requirements, planning, Direction and Review) and complete threat analysis process which includes threat modelling, fine-tuning, evaluation, runbook and knowledge base creation.
    The program is based on a rigorous Job Task Analysis (JTA) of the job roles involved in the field of threat intelligence.