A layoff and a new six-figure opportunity!

2»

Comments

• Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Great story and congrats on the new role!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 Registered Users Posts: 191 ■■■■■□□□□□
    That's fantastic! Glad to hear that everything worked out
    Current: Network+ | Project+ 
    Working on: PMP
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the position! I feel you on the commute, I worked at Cisco in the RTP area and commuted from the other side of Greensboro but Raleigh can be a very good area. Being happy in the role you are in is critical though and it sounds like you found the right opportunity at the right time,. 
  • rsxwithslicksrsxwithslicks Member Posts: 75 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's awesome! As a socal local, it's great to see there's still good opportunities out there.
  • SocomSocom Member Posts: 48 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was laid off recently too, if you don't mind sharing; what experience do you have and what certs did you get?!
  • SoCalGuy858SoCalGuy858 Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @rsxwithslicks I actually haven't been in SoCal since late 2015.  I'm currently in the Raleigh area.  When I moved into the new security role (my first) with my old company, I was no longer tied to the local office in San Diego and requested to WFH so we could relocate out here due to COL.

@Socom I've got about 4.5 years combined in systems administration, helpdesk, and IT support, and (as of now) just over 4 years in security.  My systems background was always JOAT and my security background is now JOAT, but fortunately, I've been able to land roles that built upon that JOATness each time.  No degree but I've got CISSP, GCIH, GSEC, ECIH, ECES, Project+ and a few other lower-level ones (VCA-DCV, MTA, Qualys Certified Professional).  
    LinkedIn - Just mention you're from TE!
  • yuddhidhtiryuddhidhtir Member Posts: 196 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! This story will definitely help those who are laid off or lacking motivation.
    “Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment; full effort is full victory.”
  • Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!  Even at a 9-5 job, it's never been safe.  
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Wishing all the best!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"