AlienVault Certified Security Engineer vs Appliance Technician

SoCalGuy858SoCalGuy858 Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all,

Does anybody have any experience with AlienVault certifications?  Particularly USM certs.. ACSE or the USM Appliance Technician?

I just completed the 5-day AlienVault USM Appliance for Security Engineers course, which included a voucher.  I originally thought it was solely for the ACSE, but the instructor mentioned to the class that it is valid for either.... and his comments on the matter were "go for the Appliance Technician certification... the ACSE has way too much info and the fail rate is too high".  I thought that was odd, coming from the instructor himself, but hey... honesty is awesome.

Has anyone completed either of these?  Can you provide some input?  I work with AV on a daily basis but am no way, shape or form, expert-level.  
LinkedIn - Just mention you're from TE!

Comments

• MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hate to disagree with your instructor but the ACSE - along with most of the AlienVault certifications are not really bad. Honestly, I would rate them less difficult than SonicWALL or Fortinet. I worked for a AlienVault shop a while back and they required everyone in the SOC to have the gambit of AV credentials. We had some.. less than academic folks and they managed to pass it. 

I wouldn't stress over it too much. 
  • SoCalGuy858SoCalGuy858 Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks, Mooseboost!  Any recommendations on study material besides the content provided with the course?
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The study material from the course should be good enough. My recommendation though is to make plenty of flash cards/note cards. From my experience, this helped our guys out the most. 
  • SoCalGuy858SoCalGuy858 Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Excellent!!  Thank you!