Passed SecurityTube Linux Assembly Expert x86_64 (SLAE64)

securitychopssecuritychops Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
I had planned on starting work on the SLAE64 immediately after finishing the OSCE, however I ended up with a little bit of certification burnout so I took a few months off ... but I am back and ready to share my experience with taking the SecurityTube Linux Assembly Expert x86_64 (SLAE64)!

Just like the x86 version that I reviewed earlier (https://community.infosecinstitute.com/discussion/132948/passed-securitytube-linux-assembly-expert-slae) I was extremely pleased with the overall experience of this course.  I once again learned a lot, and was pleasantly surprised at how seamless the transition from x86 assembly to x86_64 assembly was.  Just like last time, Vivek did a great job of explaining the core concepts and walking the viewer (me) through all of the material.

One thing I would like to point out is that there is a lot of overlap between the x86 and x86_64 versions of the course.  To the tune of the final exam being almost identical in every single way.  There are a few additional requirements on a couple assignments ... but if you have done the x86 version you are going to be experiencing a lot of deja vu.  

However, even though there is so much overlap between the two courses I would still recommend doing them both if you have never done much with shellcode before.  They are just different enough that I feel like it would merit it.  Plus the final exam is still in the same format as the x86 version, which is blogging/github/etc.  And just like last time I had to again dig deep into concepts in order to be able to properly explain them in writing.

All in all, I highly recommend this course to anyone wanting to learn more about 64bit shellcoding.  I consider it a great value at only $149 :)

Below is a breakdown of the course timeline:
-------------------------------
Oct 30, 2018: Course Purchased
Oct 30, 2018: Course materials arrived via email (7ish GB download)
Oct 31, 2018: Realized I was completely burned out and needed a break
Feb 02, 2019: Actually started course :)
Mar 11, 2019: Sent in final exam (links to blog posts, github, etc)
Mar 14, 2019: Received email congratulating me on passing

As for study materials/tools, here is most of what I used:

My blog posts and code just in case anyone wants to read them:
Blog Posts:
Current Certs   : OSCE, OSCP, CISSP, Pentest+, Security+, SLAE, SLAE64
Goals for 2019 : OSEE
Goals for 2020 : OSWE

Comments

• chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Very cool Chop! Congrats on the victory! By the way change your avatar to the one you have on twitter :smiley:

Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • securitychopssecuritychops Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks man!  I went ahead and updated that profile pic from my twitter too! :)
    hahaha awesome! I need a cool animated render like yours :) 
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
  • FluffyBunnyFluffyBunny Member Posts: 230 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks for sharing!

I purchased the SLAE years ago, right after finishing OSCP. Started it, then never finished it. I still want to work on it, but there's just too much fun stuff out there :)
    Thanks for sharing!

I purchased the SLAE years ago, right after finishing OSCP. Started it, then never finished it. I still want to work on it, but there's just too much fun stuff out there :)
    Same boat, I need to work on the SLAE later this year. But first I have some activities I want to accomplish before hand. Plus it looks more and more like I am going to do AWAE before OSCE now. 
  • securitychopssecuritychops Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited April 2019
    That is my absolute favorite thing about these courses, they are 100% self paced.  No time limit at all  :)

@chrisone I am fighting the urge to sign up for the AWAE right now too ... but I got to keep focused!  I did sign up for the Pentester Academy's Python for Pentesters since I really need to up my game with python and also from looking at the modules there are several sections on writing custom python plugins for ImmunityDebugger, which is a skill I have a sneaking suspicion I will need before the end of the year!  :D
    @securitychops Do it! :smiley:  I want to dabble into bug bounties so the AWAE should help. 

• DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Badass dood.  Way to go man.  BTW great blogs, insightful.