Keep me in your prayers or happy thoughts please...

rsxwithslicksrsxwithslicks Member Posts: 75 ■■■□□□□□□□
Recently I got contacted by a recruiter about two positions open at her client that she felt might be a good fit. I would be leaving a stable job with decent pay for a contract to hire position. The commute is about the same (10-15 min), but this position does offer possibility of part-time remote once hired on full time (what I was told by recruiter) as well as a little pay bump. I'm excited but extremely nervous... I do horribly in interviews and have a tenancy to forget answers to even the simplest of questions. So though I'm just a stranger on the internet, I would appreciate any hope I can get.. Lol.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• johndoeejohndoee Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited April 2019
    Recently I got contacted by a recruiter about two positions open at her client that she felt might be a good fit. I would be leaving a stable job with decent pay for a contract to hire position. The commute is about the same (10-15 min), but this position does offer possibility of part-time remote once hired on full time (what I was told by recruiter) as well as a little pay bump. I'm excited but extremely nervous... I do horribly in interviews and have a tenancy to forget answers to even the simplest of questions. So though I'm just a stranger on the internet, I would appreciate any hope I can get.. Lol.

Thanks in advance.
    @rsxwithslicks

I couldn't count on my hands and feet how many times a recruiter said I would be a good fit for a position. 

but this position does offer possibility of part-time remote once hired on full time (what I was told by recruiter) as well as a little pay bump.

Once, or IF? I think the recruiter is doing what recruiters do, attempting to sale you a dream. 

These contract to hire positions have pros and cons. The pro is, if you are brought on your benefits are better and more than likely your compensation. But I've seen on more than one occasion, with one occasion being in my own life that after the contract to hire period is up, so is the job. 

I hope that it all works out. You can read on this forum numerous horror stories regarding people and recruiters. Good Luck either way.

Now, go and be great!

EDIT: You haven't interviewed for the position yet :| ?
  • FluffyBunnyFluffyBunny Member Posts: 230 ■■■■■□□□□□
    have a tenancy to forget answers to even the simplest of questions.

Don't fret too much :) Open questions are open questions; you can think about them! Nobody needs canned, prepared responses. 

Good luck to you!
  • rsxwithslicksrsxwithslicks Member Posts: 75 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck to you!
    Thank you!

While I don't consider myself an excellent interviewer in general, open questions aren't too bad. It's the technical ones that make me choke and stutter like a fool. Lol. 
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Relax. Take a deep breath. Bring a notebook with a list of your questions as well. Good luck.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin

While I don't consider myself an excellent interviewer in general, open questions aren't too bad. It's the technical ones that make me choke and stutter like a fool. Lol. 
    They generally don't expect you know know the answer to every question. The important part is to know how to say you don't know! I like to give them an educated guess based on what I do know, along with a disclaimer that I'm not 100% at this time. Sometimes, I'd even go as far as including the answer to that question in my follow-up thank-you email. 

Also, pro tip, have a glass of water handy. If you get a question that you don't know right away, take a sip to give yourself some extra time to answer.

Best of luck!
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
  • Mr.Robot255Mr.Robot255 Member Posts: 196 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i was recently in your exact shoes. 
    I was very nervous having only done a handful if that! of interviews in my life. 
    With technical questions or any questions for that matter, take your time they are not expecting you to answer in less than 1 second etc. Also if the question seems like its asked it a funny way ask them to repeat it or ask can they phrase it differently. 
    What i found from my interview (the technical one) the Tech interviewing me at the time i knew him by name, he was the guy that deals with the main network guy i was currently working for so straight away i was under pressure cos i know how advanced he is. But he asked questions and i answered with what i thought was right, end of the day they are asking questions to see where abouts u are in your thoughts and knowledge they are not trying to catch you out. (my opinion on it anyways i got the job btw)

good luck
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Recently I got contacted by a recruiter about two positions open at her client that she felt might be a good fit. I would be leaving a stable job with decent pay for a contract to hire position. 
    If I had a nickle for every time the recruiter said "I may be a good fit" for random positions, I'd be a rich man. 
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

Thank you for the kind words everyone. Unfortunately I didn't even get a chance to interview  as they decided to go with someone who had more experience. I knew I was going for a long shot when it was requesting 10+ years of experience but I had to go for it.

The recruiter did already reach out to me about another position but it is a year contract only. The position title is System Admin Engineer. It's a decently well known medical center but not sure if its worth it given the following:

Cons:
    - Commute is a going to be roughly 1.5 hours each way vs a 15 minute commute now
    - No benefits vs current vacation is 3 weeks a year + 401k match 5%

Pros:
    - Contract is for an O365 migration (Current environment is running 2010. I've proposed upgrading to 2016 or O365 but have gotten nowhere with management.)
    - Gaining experience in a type of field (IT Healthcare)

Think I'm gonna apply even if only for interview practice.
    mikey88 said:
    If I had a nickle for every time the recruiter said "I may be a good fit" for random positions, I'd be a rich man. 
    If I got a nickel for every time a recruiter said it, I wouldn't have much in the pocket lol. I have very limited experience as most recruiters want me for out of state contract positions or desktop support. Lol.
    Also, pro tip, have a glass of water handy. If you get a question that you don't know right away, take a sip to give yourself some extra time to answer.
    So how do you control having a glass of water handy? Do you bring your own or just ask every time you're interviewing?
  • Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    rsxwithslicks said:
    So how do you control having a glass of water handy? Do you bring your own or just ask every time you're interviewing?
    I guess I've always been offered something to drink when I arrive for an interview, so I figured it was common practice. I don't think it would be strange to bring a water bottle with you though.
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do