Using Packet Tracer for labbing

Cat5Cat5 Member Posts: 297 ■■■□□□□□□□
I downloaded Packet Tracer  through a Cisco Networking Academy link to hopefully try and do some virtual labbing, but it's asking for a username/email and password, which I don't have. Is this a proprietary program or do you have to have a license to use it?
Tagged:

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    It's asking for your Cisco Networking Academy login credentials. Did you sign up for CNA and create your account?
  • kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If you do not want to log into netacad you need to download PT 7.0. The latest version of PT(7.2..) forces you to login with netacad account. I actually have 7.0 and 7.2 loaded on my laptop because 7.0 can used without a network connection while 7.2 cannot. 

GNS3 is a better lab tool CCNP. Cisco has dCloud for labbing. David Bombal has YouTube videos about dCloud. 
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
  • Cat5Cat5 Member Posts: 297 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited April 2019
    JDMurray said:
    It's asking for your Cisco Networking Academy login credentials. Did you sign up for CNA and create your account?
    I didn't. It would need to be virtually free for me to use it, since I'm unemployed at the moment. And if it's not free, then packet tracer wouldn't be available to me.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can get a free account for Networking Academy by signing up for their Packet Tracer course.  After that, you can sign into the Packet Tracer product.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Cat5Cat5 Member Posts: 297 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ok, after some unrelated delays, I have Packet Tracer up and working on my home computer. That said, has anyone used this to prepare for his CCNP tests? I don't have a networking job right now, nor do I have the money for equipment. I'm hoping PT will suffice until I can at least get SWITCH taken and passed.
  • Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    Cat5 said:
    Ok, after some unrelated delays, I have Packet Tracer up and working on my home computer. That said, has anyone used this to prepare for his CCNP tests? I don't have a networking job right now, nor do I have the money for equipment. I'm hoping PT will suffice until I can at least get SWITCH taken and passed.
    I used PT to study for CCENT and CCNA, and it was missing a couple of features that physical equipment had (HTTP service and something else). Other than those couple of discrepancies, I'd say it worked just fine. That being said, I'm not sure if there are any CCNP-specific functions that don't work in PT. It looks like you'll run into quite a bit of trouble, according to this 2017 thread on Cisco's forum.
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do