Desktop to Cloud

finneyjabrahamfinneyjabraham Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I've been doing desktop support for almost 8 years now and have finally hit the wall with this career path. I originally was doing my bachelors degree at WGU for Network Administration in 2015 but had to stop for some time due to personal issues. I've finally come around and got back into the degree program but instead doing Cloud administration. My current company (a large hospital) breaks down all the technology roles into specific groups, like AD is one group, exchange is one group, network is another and so on. I guess my question would be: Should I wait for my company to post openings, which don't come as often, or look outside at smaller companies and be able to touch all types of technologies. I know it sounds like I'm leaning towards leaving my current company, but any helpful advise and/or recommendation would be worth it. 
Finney Abraham

2014 Goal
WGU BS-Network Administration [ ]
CCNA [X] CCDA [ ] MCSA [X] Project+ [X] Storage+ [ ]

Comments

• Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    If one of those groups interest you, then by all means, go for it! I prefer to be more of a generalist, so I wouldn't be super interested in just AD administration or just managing Exchange. I don't think there's anything wrong with looking outside your current employer, especially after 8 years of service. An outside company would most likely be able to offer you a more competitive salary as well, so that might be some extra incentive to look outside. And you're right - you would get much more exposure to different technologies if you're part of a smaller team. I find that to be very valuable since I don't have decades of experience under my belt.

Good luck on your job hunt, and let us know if you have any other questions!
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do